1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Mackerel head smoothie

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by nonchalant, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Stavity

Stavity New Member

@Cavemam, I recently made my own fermented ketchup or is it katsup? lol. And now making my own cocktail sauce for the oysters. Chopped pickled veggies sounds yummy too. I do realize the problem with deadly nightshades for many of us, but found that while I have a huge problem with white potatoes, I have no reaction to peppers or tomatoes.

I also went from not liking much fish to eating ceviche and salmon tartare so I feel comfortable with that for now. The more I eat fish the more I like it. My doctor also told me not to eat fish heads and guts because of the health problems I face. No one could have told me I would be eating seafood for both my meals. It sure uncomplicates my food decisions. What a F'n relief!!!!

2. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

:)....................

3. I have not gotten to my Katsup chapter in the ferment book, but it's on my "I WANT TO DO THIS" list!! How did it go?! The reality is after "meaning to" all summer, the closest I've gotten to actually fermenting is reading about 1/3 of a book and buying some pretty crocks :p

I just saw on another thread, there is a test you can do to find out what you are actually sensitive to. . . I may have to actually do that one- seems practical. Everyone keeps trying to tell me I should be AI, but I'm stubborn.

4. Stavity

Stavity New Member

I made this one

http://www.ournourishingroots.com/real-food-101-how-to-make-lacto-fermented-ketchup/ Pretty easy except I had to make the whey first and that is fussy. I make it out of grass fed pastured yogurt I get at my local farmer's market. This takes a couple of days to ferment and is much shorter time then when I made fermented daikon. I only used salt and it's own juices for that and it took 3 weeks and needed to be watched. Was scared it would explode or get moldy.

If you find out about the test please let us know. I know immediately when my left ankle and right knee swell that potatoes are harming me, but it does not happen when I eat peppers, or tomatoes. Potatoes in any form were always my favorite food and the hardest food for me to give up, but the swelling had to go or I would be walking like a cripple.

5. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Kids are asleep going down stairs to chop up my mackerel heads and pop them into my freezer for tomorrows MHS.

6. Pictures Please!

7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Pics in the dark don't turn out well hhehehehe. Dh is asleep too.

I just pulled out the meat cleaver & went to town on my 2 heads. Got black stuff on my night shirt. It's so stinky I'll be washing it w/diapers to get the fish brains out. But I'm ready for tomorrow!!!

8. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

Still trying to wrap my head around it, too.

Almost bought sardines tinned in H20 at WF today but wimped out. I don't like smelly oily fish.

Maybe ceviche or salmon tartare is a good way to start...

At any rate we are eating a lot more cooked seafood..

9. ealachan

ealachan New Member

water-packed sardines aren't oily or smelly at all, in my opinion. They taste a lot like tuna...except better.

10. Stavity

Stavity New Member

I have not yet tried fish with the head and guts, but if the fish is fresh then I can bet that it would not be fishy smelling or tasting. I wish I had the nerve to go further then tartare, ceviche and oysters, but it seems I can't wrap my head around it also. I give myself credit for going as far as I have since 6 months ago I hated fish and struggled with it cooked.

11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

MHS has been consumed. I did not get as much as I was planning b/c leeches showed up and noshed 1/2 of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] . Havoc preparing to share my MHS

[​IMG] . Chaos joining Havoc (she didn't like it)

[​IMG] havoc asked for more when we finished

It wasn't that bad. Kinda like drinking the green pastures fermented CLO

I used 2 heads chopped and frozen over night, 2 lemons zested & juiced, 1/2 c water(didn't have a lot of juice), sea salt, & cilantro (hence why it's green)

So 15 mins after consuming I feel like everything is crisper. This might just become a weekly thing.

12. freesia

freesia Old Member

Like Martin, I loved this. Had tears rolling down my face even. (Release of tension built up from reading previous pages with growing anticipation perhaps?)

Anyway.....ealachan, just wanted you to know....CWer's got teeth to worry about too...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10832911

:D

13. LinD

LinD New Member

Thanks for the pics and the ingredients. I wish I had someone here to do MHS with for the first time! If anyone is in the D/FW area, let me know. I'll be able to unpack my Cuisinart before long. (waiting for new house, so I don't have it right now) I wonder if our hand blender could handle it? Well, then I need a partner to encourage the consumption.

Let me know if anyone is near, ok?

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

MHS has two things.......vitamin A and iodine. Now go read hormone 101 blog post and my last comment in that blog to Mitch. You will begin to have the start of BG 12.

15. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Gretchen, your kids like the MHS?!?!? Wow, they make the rest of us look really bad then. We are such wimps :D

16. Omg love it! What sweeties. How awesome that you have to fight the kids over blender fish!

Keep telling about these guys - might actually go get some raw fish!

17. LinD

LinD New Member

This one? jackkruse.com/hormone-cascade-101/

I'll get started....

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

yep..............

19. LinD

LinD New Member

Mitch asks: @Jack so I re=read the H101 post. I read it to say high stress causes HIGH CORTISOL which, due to pregnenolone steal, causes decreased T3, sex hormones, sarcopenia and osteopenia.

But you said my cortisol was LOW..and you wanted it higher

So low cortisol could be a symptom also of pregnenelone steal – right? And increasing T3 and vit D is the key to making more pregnenelone and other hormones as well – right?

Jack Says:

September 9th, 2012 at 4:37 pm

@Mitch when the effect is CHRONIC the decision in the cell is always on…..meaning all the pregnenolone shunts to cortisol to help you survive. When we measure it in the plasma it is low, because it is being used to keep you in survival mode (cortisol path)…..that is a sign the PVN nucelus is working over time and this is sign your oxidizing your cells. The result is all the hormones going the other way in the hormone synthesis chain are very low……..that is the reduction path. Re Read BG 11. Low cortisol= low melatonin = epithelial cancers= LR. Oxidation =LR. Low cortisol is not a good thing. When the process first begins……ACUTELY you will have hypercortisolism for a time until you fatigue your PVN nucleus in the hypothalamus. Do it long enough and you oxidize (age) your body, your sleep declines and your body fails with your body composition.

The critical equation of life = LDL + T3 = pregnenolone. If free T3 is low you cant make pregnenolone. If you live a life in the modern world you are in survival mode shunting the low amount of pregnenolone your cells can make to cortisol at the sake of progesterone. Progesterone is the base hormone for the testosterone, estrogen, DHEA, etc……..The more we shunt to survival mode the more oxidized the cell becomes…….the more oxidized the cell becomes the more Vitamin D has to be used to offset the oxidation by the immune system so it also falls. I hope this clarifies it. This is why modern humans are infertile (1 in 7 couples) because to have a child you must be more chemically reduced than oxidized because it favors a higher level of the pro- GESTATION by the hormone called progesterone. Most modern humans are starved for progesterone. Hence why we see upside down PG/E2 ratios in all modern neolithic diseases. When this happens the lab panels generally show increases in HS CRP, increased E2, and LR, with LOW free T3 levels.

20. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

LOL!! When I read this at first, I thought...wow, she is getting her fish REALLY fresh, if there are leeches present! Like, the actual, blood-sucking creatures...oh my, I need more seafood so my brain can look 2 millimeters below at the photos...sheesh...