1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Maca

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by nuttmegs17, Apr 23, 2013.

1. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Hello,

I recently added maca to my morning supps, bc I read "the hormone cure" and it's suggested as a way to naturally balance hormones....however, I have been reading stories online and it appears that sometimes it actually results in...weight gain?!

I am curious about your experiences with it. Why would it make some gain weight and others lose it? Funnily enough, there are entire forums dedicated to "increasing boobs and butts" and many people on those forums swear that Maca works for that....I can tell you one thing, a bigger butt is the last thing I need!

My boobs have felt a little bigger this week. I am on day 18 of my cycle, but its highly irregular so I am unsure if its the maca (If i end up having a 36 day cycle this month, then its too early to be PMS), or if its just PMS (if I end up having say a 25 day cycle). So I figured Id throw it out there.

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

MACA = higher progesterone.

3. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

powerful stuff - thats how i responded to progesterone after a bit as well so that kind of explains it. I might have to back off until i add in estrogen to my progesterone in hopes its a better mix for me. As bad as birth control is in general, i felt best when I was on it. I know it messed me up so wont go back, but am hoping BHRT will balance me out like the pill once did.

4. tweety

tweety New Member

nuttmegs- I love maca. I did not experience the response with maca that I did with progesterone. It really helps my libido... but I didn't feel like it was helping my progesterone based on other symptoms.

5. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

Thanks, Tweety! Yes, part of me wonders if I feel bigger bc perhaps its already helping my cycle? THerefore, maybe this is a shorter cycle and therefore not weightgain per se but just PMS? I will keep an eye on it. It seems like it has such promise so I hate to throw in the towel with it.

How much do you take?

6. tweety

tweety New Member

I have been journaling and there were several days I was fine and felt good. The last two I felt so huge, and can see a physical difference. Well, I was hungry while prepping lunch and popped a few hazelnuts and brazil nuts into my mouth. 24hrs later, bloated all over. So, note to self, you know nuts make you retain water- quit eating them!

I take the powdered form of maca, and after breakfast I take a spoonful of coconut cream, a tablespoon of maca, and add a little water until it's pudding consistency and eat. Remember to take a break from maca while you have your period. I noticed almost immediately a change in libido. No other changes thata I can attribute to maca specifically, but that was a big concern for me so I am happy!

7. tweety

tweety New Member

By the way, as I understand it, maca is an adaptogen. It doesn't just increase progesterone, but all the hormones. But it does so in a way your body needs it. I always assumed it was helping my estrogen and testosterone levels more than progesterone.

8. Marco

Marco New Member

Dr Kruse - does the progesterone connection mean men should avoid maca?

Or like Tweety says, is there more to the story than just progesterone?

9. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

From what I understand men use progesterone too. It supports testosterone. You are lucky though bc you don't have to deal with monthly fluctuations :). If that is the case then maca would support testosterone indirectly

10. nath5212

nath5212 New Member

I get the biggest boost of energy from my morning smoothie when I add a powdered herb from Peru called Maca. If you want increased energy, stamina and even an improved sex life, maybe you should consider adding this amazing food to your green smoothie as well.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  11. Samson

Samson New Member

Is Navitas gelatanized Maca a good brand for Maca or is there another preferred brand?
    Gelatinized Maca is known to be highly digestible and more soluble than regular maca. Due to gelatinization, the long chains of starches are broken down, enhancing the concentration of the maca’s powerful main ingredients.

This is the product description of the Navitas gelatanized Maca:

Navitas Naturals Gelatinized Maca Powder is a concentrated form of the Maca root’s beneficial elements; the fiber of the root is extracted making this superfood more digestible and its beneficial elements intensified. Navitas Naturals Organic Maca Powder is cultivated in its indigenous region of the Junin Plateau amongst the Peruvian Andes. After harvest, the maca roots are gelatinized and milled: a process that concentrates the active ingredients through a heated extrusion to remove the starch. This product has only one ingredient, maca root, and is kosher, gluten-free, vegan, and 100% organic.

12. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

I think its a good brand, its the one I bought and it was a decent price on amazon it tasted fine for what its worth. def stick to gelantanized