1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

LP's Optimal Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Limpei, May 27, 2016.

1. Limpei

Limpei Rookie Biohacker

Hi all,

My name is LP, and I’m really glad to have found this awesome place!

Am grateful to Jack for doing all the heavy lifting and questioning assumptions of prevailing medical studies. In particular, for taking the time and effort to educate and explain things to non-medical layman like myself.

Shoutout to the rest of the folks on the forum as well!

I’ve been lurking and reading as much as I can. I’m pretty much a newbie (and trust me, I really hate it!), and am doing as much as I can to grow in knowledge, so that I can (in the near future), also contribute to this community.
    My goal, is really education, and translating that into action, in order to lead a better life.
    To develop an understanding of how our bodies work, how our current modern environment is affecting us, WHY it works the way it works, and develop an understanding of what to do accordingly.

My work requires consistent upgrading of knowledge and understanding, then applying that in real time.
    So I am looking to do the same thing here, except in the context of optimizing health/life.

So far, I’ve listened to pretty much all of Jack’s podcasts (some, numerous time). I also tried reading the home page (and went wtf???), and finally came to the forums.

Currently, I’m reading through all the study guides (here: https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/2012-2013-2014-study-guide.11151/).

I am of the understanding (at the moment), that our mitochondrial health is of utmost importance, since it is the power cell of our bodies.

Leptin wise, I am fairly certain I am not Leptin resistant. Zero carb cravings, and am in good athletic shape, having been doing HIIT type exercises way before they were termed HIIT, since days of military service. I sleep damn well. I’ve also been at the same weight range for the past 15 years, except my body composition has shifted towards a higher lean muscle mass.

///

Context:

I live in Singapore (good equatorial sun!), and work an office job.
    This means a ton of blue light exposure and well, being 35 stories high for 10hours a day, that’s quite abit of EMF as well. Not 1/2 as bad as New York (based on the number of wifi signals available), but still...

I try to mitigate this with,
    (1) Getting good sun over lunch and over the weekends as well.
    I can’t lie around in speedos over weekdays, but it’s better than none!

(2) Adjusting towards a higher-fat, lower carb diet.

We try to take more fish and seafood (but it’s not cheap! Especially oysters!) for the DHA.
    (I understand #1 on the list is the EMF environment. Food and nutrition, do help I find though, any input is appreciated.)

(3) Drinking non-fluorinated water
    Am exploring alkaline water.

(4) Using blue light filtering glasses at work, and blue blockers at home in the evenings, especially when I have to work on the computer.

(5) Not using wifi at home

(6) Supplementing with fish/krill oil & respective vitamins
    I try to purchase fish/krill oil where manufacturing area is cool, such as to avoid oxidation.

(7) Getting a pair of shoes which are static dissipative, so as to increase grounding when I am walking around outside.

(8) I take colder showers, and am implementing the face dunk to engage the mammalian dive reflex.
    (Incidentally, I find myself never getting cold, even when others are freezing in the office. Interesting.)

(9) We try keep the lights dim at home after the sun sets.

///

Need directions/recommendations/pointers:

EMF/blue light:
    How do I reduce the effects of EMF/blue light?
    On the Podcasts, Jack mentions he has IR lights and UVA lights.
    Which ones are used?
    Also, which blue light blocking glasses do you guys use?

**I’ve identified this to be the biggest problem for me and my family, since well, we work in an office.

Do give let me have your input please.

Water:
    I would like to add IR and UV treatment, as I read this is better for structuring the water. What devices/products are used?
    What alkalization machines are used?
    Anything else?

Fish/Krill Oil:
    What brands of fish/krill oil do you guys use?
    Which other dietary improvements would you guys recommend?
    (Oysters are ridiculously expensive here @ US$5 per pop).

Magnetico:
    Would using 20 gauss magnets work?
    The magnetico is expensive, even before shipping back to Asia.

///

Hi everyone, thank you, and I look forward to talk to you guys more! =)

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi LP and welcome........

Please give Dr. K. more health context. Your Mom's health? Grandma's health? siblings? children?
    Do you live in a home? or apartment?

Dr. K. doesn't recommend Fish/krill oil caps or vitamins etc. in general.

It is all about the three legged stool ....... light, water, magnetism

Do you get outside for the first morning light? grounding? that is super important to reset your circadian cycle.

keep lites off after sunset .... uses candles etc.

Have you read Dr. K's book? The Epi-Paleo RX .....it is the first couple of yeas of the blog.

A really good read ......Health and Light - by John Ott

Gerald Pollacks books - especially Cells, Gels and the Engines of life ....and also - The Fourth Phase of water
    Roland VanWyck's book - Light in Shaping Life

Can you get canned seafood? oysters? sardines? frozen seafood?

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  3. Limpei

Limpei Rookie Biohacker

Hi Caroline,
    Thanks for the prompt reply!

What type of family details would you require pls?

I live in an apartment. It's a relatively low floor (5th). There are about 4 neighbouring wifi signals.

I do manage to get outside, in the morning, but not for too long. I make it a point to get at least SOME some hitting my eyes to get the circadian cycle going.
    Am working to get the grounding part done. Have ordered a pair of shoes which will help.

I do have Gerald Pollack's book, and Epi Paleo Rx is on the way too. Will lookup the other books.

As for seafood, I manage to get a good dose of fish, though oysters are the ones that are hard to come by.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

welcome and get a human pic up too please. I like to see who I am speaking too.

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

Your Moms and grandma's health concerns (if any) is relevant to you.

Can you take your coffee/ breakfast outside and be barefoot?

Can you sit beside an open window in your office?

How is your sleep? Your libido?

Do you have all electronics out of your bedroom? Do you shut down your wifi at nite? Can you turn off power to your bedroom at nite?

You have made a great start!

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

BTW .....one of our forum members - Paul G. Has put together a great e-book

My natural life - by Paul Gunning. It is available on Amazon.

Also .... A lot of us use blue blockers from Amazon - very inexpensive and work pretty well.

You maybe are in a great place to resource prescription blue Blockers?

7. PaulG

PaulG New Member

8. Limpei

Limpei Rookie Biohacker

Dr K:
    Epi-Paleo RX has arrived.
    I read through the first chapter, and am (not really...) surprised to find the pharma/farming industries revolving around $, and medicine around group think.
    I'm from finance. We tend to be very sensitive to group think and seriously.
    My veteran boss once told me, "When it comes to money, everyone looks out for themselves. You must always question motives. Question everything."
    Thank you for doing the heavy lifting, and asking some damn good questions.

Caroline:
    No major health issues disease wise on my mother's side. Grandmother had dementia in her 80s.
    Unfortunately, I can't take breakky outside the office or walk around barefoot either (windows don't open either) =\
    I am getting a pair of grounding shoes though.
    I do make it a point to head out earlier for lunch, and manage to get some of the 11am+ sunlight, allowing a good chunk to fall on my retina.

I sleep really well, libido is good.
    Hunger is also under control, as I tend to only have 1 high fat/protein meal per day (I eat when hungry...not by the clock).
    (I enjoy my whisky and wine, but only on the weekend. haha ;) )
    Wifi is shut off by default (rarely used), and only LAN is used.
    Electronics, are typically all off at night, minus the air conditioner due to the warm humid equatorial weather.
    Been using Blu-Blockers if I use the computer/phone @ night since I read about blue light and it's detrimental effects on health.

Paul G:
    Thanks for the link and compiling the book!
    Will check it out!

Questions: (I'm willing to read my ass off, so links will do too!)
    Water --> What do you use to get reverse osmosis water? (looking for ideas)

EMF --> How do you guys manage EMF? My problem is neighbours and work environment, which is beyond my control.
    I know from the podcasts and blog the answer is probably more (1) sun (2) seafood (3) water (4) grounding.
    Do oysters have to be raw? Other wise, we take salmon and other fish.

Sun --> How do you know if you're getting too much? More than others, I'm smack at the equator. There's risk of toooo much.

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

Managing nnEMF is tough for all of us .....you gotta be hard core and do the best you can - and then do more!

If you are at the equator things will be different for you .....but it does depend on how much nnEMF exposure you are getting.

If you are able to get lots of sunlight you may not need as much seafood ......

What grows locally?

There is a guy - Tristan,I think, who does podcasts with Dr. K.. He is closer to the equator.

For a real eye opener - get Dr. Marino's book Going somewhere - truth about a life in science

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Tristan podcasts are good. Listen to them and read the Time series........the book will cover the early blogs. Once you cut thru Time you can look back at Ubi 24 which is big.........

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Once you get the basics then read the books we recommend. It will really open your eyes to what youre missing.

12. Limpei

Limpei Rookie Biohacker

Roger that.
    Thank you for pointing the way Dr Kruse!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  13. Limpei

Limpei Rookie Biohacker

My wife's nanny who has been with the family for 20yrs, was diagnosed as boarder line type 2 diabetes + high BP.
    We shifted her diet to be more in line with the Primal Rx, and voila, in < 2months, her blood work shows she's back to normal (much to the doctor's surprise!).

She's still on high BP meds. So in the mean time, am just learning more to see how/what to do, and how to connect the dots.

Am 2/3 way through Epi-Paleo Rx.

14. Limpei

Limpei Rookie Biohacker

Been awhile since I posted. Just thought it'd be good for an update.

Relistened to many of Dr Kruse's podcasts.
    Light wise, I found a great spot near office where I can hide out with nice sun. I head out for an early lunch, so I can get decent light as well.
    Got a pair of blue blockers for computer use at home, and generally am reducing time in front of the screen when possible.
    No more wifi!
    Typically very low carb diet, with decent quantities of animal fat.
    Found dried oysters (the fresh ones here are prohibitively expensive...) which we use in our broths these days.
    I'm gonna be going back to the uniformed reserves soon, am gonna be reading a ton!

caroline likes this.
  15. Limpei

Limpei Rookie Biohacker

Time Series, 1 to 15.
    Will be reading this as per Dr Kruse's guide.
    Life's been busy as anything, but I should have time in the uniformed services. =)

Attached Files:

caroline likes this.
  16. caroline

caroline Moderator

Sounds like you are doing great ...... Keep going.....

17. Limpei

Limpei Rookie Biohacker

Got back from Korea recently. Autumn, and Seoul was about 0 to 5 degrees Celsius.

Very interestingly, I was more than happy to walk around in nothing more than a long sleeved t-shirt (and yes, jeans haha).
    I lived in Canada for awhile, and this is a first for these temperatures.

I think this has been attributed to optimizig (1) Water (2) Light (3) Cold thermogenisis (4) Higher fat, low carb type diet.
    (yes, there's magnetism, other than using a handfree for cellphone, it's kinda tough. I'm considering a Magnetico, but it's bloody expensive)

My wife, interestingly, reported better cold tolerance as well.

Taking a look into red light phototherapy.
    Looking to get a pair of grounding shoes.
    Exploring this chap called Wim Hof (he's a nut!):
    http://www.icemanwimhof.com/innerfire
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wim_Hof

Uses breathing techniques to augment his physical abilities.
    Interestingly.... loves the cold (!).

Being Chinese in ethnicity, it suddenly dawned upon me, that PERHAPS, this is the missing piece for the Shaolin monks.
    They show plenty on how they train etc, but why is it nothing can be replicated outside?
    Methinks: Breathing and meditation methods
    Almost never mentioned, and if so, always in passing.

Wim is the closest I've seen to super human feats. I think there's a link.
    /
    Note:
    The blog is splitting my head open. I love the learning and practical implementation though.
    Grateful for all this knowledge and understanding laid out there for us.

18. Limpei

Limpei Rookie Biohacker

I'm rather thankful to live 1 degree north of the equator.
    Lotsa sun.
    Makes some carbs tolerable, and thankfully, some of the fruit I like are local to the lattitude.

Bone broths have become a constant in the diet, with sea vegetables.
    Fish has become a constant in the diet.
    Recent adjustments being made = Reduction/0 food 3 hours prior to bed.
    Am exploring GE's lighting which adjusts to the time of day. Kinda like F.lux, but for the home.
    Plouging through Time series.
    Will be making adjustments to family/lifestyle to match the geography/lighting, once I digest the series sufficiently.

Also reading Anticancer.
    Adjusting diet to include more green tea.
    Considering what else to change.
    I was considering picking up a Magnetico for Christmas.
    Shipping however, seems to be UPS only from the US.
    Shipping 200lbs by air back to Singapore is probably going to be ridiculous.

Any solutions to getting a Magnetico outside the US/Canada?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    caroline likes this.
  19. Jenny S

Jenny S Gold

I got a Queen size one to Australia & can't remember the cost but Andrea who works there is fantastic & she organised to send in 4 different shipments so I didn't have to pay import tax. It didn't cost much more to ship separately but saved a lot over all.
    I was considering picking up a Magnetico for Christmas.
    Shipping however, seems to be UPS only from the US.
    Shipping 200lbs by air back to Singapore is probably going to be ridiculous.

Any solutions to getting a Magnetico outside the US/Canada?[/quote]

20. Limpei

Limpei Rookie Biohacker

I got a quote for shipping a king sized pad back, USD 510.
    Nearly fell off my chair. haha

Was the queen sized shipping roughly in that ball park?

[And thank you very much for the tip :) )

[/quote]