1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Low T3, Low Carb, Low Life

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by bigknitwit, Sep 8, 2012.

1. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

I feel like I am in between a rock and a hard place with my lack of a working thyroid gland.

I tried moving my T3 up this summer, and it was a disaster. After 3 months of trying to make the dose work, I gave up, and went back to T4 only meds. I think my symptoms were adrenal related (high heart rate, low blood pressure). Even though I was really struggling, my mood was still optimistic.

Now I am taking 150mcg T4 with 12mg T3. I am 3 weeks into this new regimen, and hoping my T3 levels will come up (they were below the bottom of the range before a added the T3). I've gained weight (8 pounds), and I feel a different kind of terrible. Almost depressed mentally, and no endurance. As in, I can barely make it up the stairs. Doing anything feels difficult. Last night it occurred to me that everyday is a struggle, and another 40 years of this sounds unbearable. I've started taking cycloset and getting am sunshine, and I'm hoping those things will boost my adrenals so I can eventually tolerate more T3.

Well, this morning, I was cutting up cantaloupe for everyone else, and decided to eat a small serving of it. And I feel a little better. Still not great, but not so deathly. I am able to do a little more...

I have been really strict about staying on the reset protocol, but I'm not really living. I am surviving the days waiting for it all to "work." It's always a struggle to not eat. I think I am in such a low energy state and my brain really, really wants food (even my regular epi-paleo stuff) as much as possible. Food gives a little pick-me-up, but I am never satiated.

So, I am wondering if there is any merit to increasing my carbs, just a little, at least until I can get a better hold of my thyroid status? Would this be counter-productive? I want to move towards better living as quickly as possible, and so I have made my choices that way. I still need to have a little bit of energy to do my basic living requirements, and I'm really wondering if a little more carbs would be safe, at least short term? Thoughts?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

wait for BG 12.......

3. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

Ready and waiting...

Up another 1.5 pounds on the scale this morning (probably from the cantaloupe, or possibly the vinegar that I used to marinate the steak..? I'm betting on the fruit though), and neuropathy starting in 6 of my FINGERS. I've felt twinges of it over the past few months, but nothing like today... Sigh...

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

BG 11 just got up.......as a precursor to BG 12......READ BG 1-6 about ten times. It is going to matter when you get BG 12. And when you get it.......brace yourself. Some major circadian knots will be tied nicely. Paleo beware.

5. Have you tried the Quelsen shake?

Quelsen has a great coconut milk shake - 1 can whole fat coconut milk, a little drop of stevia, 100% dark chocolate powder, 1/4c of HWC, cinnamon, and nutmeg - blend up and drink 3x/day w/meals - you'll be a fat burner in no time. I took the more gradual approach and did that 1x/day

It helped me with the muscles that feels like rocks and low energy, but I make no promises on the weight side. Omit heavy whipping cream if AI.

6. AKMan

AKMan New Member

http://www.tpa-uk.org.uk/mgt_of_thyroiddef3.php

Maybe something in here to find helpful. It sounds like you need to get some really good labs and find a really good doctor who can interpret them. Adrenal support is very important and conversion issues can make thyroid unmanageable with meds. Don't look to Jack to cure you and don't rely on BG-12 giving you the answers you need--use all that info, and what you have learned from Jack to find a good doc and know when to call 'bull****' and fire the ones that aren't helping you. If they aren't talking adrenal support and getting lots of labs it's time to find a new doc. All the carbs in the world won't help if you have AI and don't know it.

7. Love your advice AKMan! It took me years to find a doc who recognized that I had both adrenal issues and Hashis. Keep looking and find the one doc who can help you. They are out there. But keep researching to learn more and in turn a doc will be easier to find. I got to the point that I started interviewing the receptionists over the phone before I made an appt to see if they were aware of the issues I was facing. They know a lot more than you think they do. The right doc for you is out there.

8. My thyroid levels are ALL below where they should be. I had a consult with Dr. Kruse on Saturday and he told me I need to cut the occasional fruit. It makes me sad :( Also said minding light and sleep was very important. Not sure if that helps at all?

9. popcornsally

popcornsally New Member

Bigknitwit-- I don't have a solution for you. Just wanted to express my sincere sympathy. What you describe sounds very similar to what I've experienced. It's all very confusing and finding a good, pro-active doctor is much easier said than done. I resorted to ordering my own blood panel (and paying for it myself). I still don't know all my numbers, but the info I got from my most recent panel actually helped me move in the right direction. In my case, low pregnenolone and DHEA were present and replacing those has made the biggest difference of any single thing I've tried. I'm also on natural desiccated thyroid supplement plus adrenal support of various kinds. Compared to one year ago I feel about 80% better.

You can't sit back and wait for your doctor to actually CARE enough to keep trying things to make YOU feel better! If you feel crappy, you are going to be much more motivated than anyone else to figure out a solution. Either confront your current doc with what you think needs to be done or find a new one. What I did was threw away the lab order my doc gave me, ordered what I wanted (which included her stuff plus more) then gave her those results. Luckily, she's pretty mellow :). I believe you WILL feel better. I hope it happens soon.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

you are all assuming doctors learn or know anything about this.......they do not. You have to go and learn it on your own

rlee314 likes this.
  11. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

For me as long as the dr. is willing to hear me out, then that is good enough for me. If it's my concern, then it's up to me to be armed with knowledge. As many people stated, if you go to a dr. with reason and rationale for certain tests you would like and they still give a hard time, then yes, you 'fire' that doctor and find a new one. You can't let someone else determine your health, at least not like that.