1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Low HDL (33) reading a result of pnemonia, or of leaky gut?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by mra_jesusfreak@yahoo.com, Dec 14, 2012.

1. This past July, I got a bad bronchitis infection, that turned into Pneumonia.  After 3 trips to the doctor, I finally got diagnosed correctly, as having pneumonia.  The following day, I got a metabolic panel done.  

HDL Cholesterol (flagged as Low) 33 [40-59 MG/DL]

CHO/HDL Ratio 3.4 [0-4.4]

[Edit: 24 yrs. old, 135 lb. at the time. Female]

None of this meant much to me.  I googled HDL, and found it it was the "good cholesterol" and needed to be higher, but that was it...

Until I found out about Jack Kruse a couple mo. ago, and read that he feels low HDL is a huge indicator of leaky gut syndrome.  Which was a huge ligh tbulb moment for me, b/c I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and have been wondering if I have leaky gut, and if that's the root cause of my Hashi's.  

So now I'm wondering if that low HDL reading was a direct result of my testing while I had pneumonia and hadn't eaten much in the two weeks prior to taking the blood work (no appetite due to pneumonia and virus), or if having pneumonia wouldn't have affected it at all, and if the low HDL reading is a sign of something bigger (like leaky gut).  

This is my first time posting in this forum, not sure if this was the right section to post in, might repost in one of the lab threads, as well.  Thanks. /wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif