1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Low Cortisol Levels

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Eddie Garza, Apr 29, 2015.

1. JanSz

JanSz Gold

There are many more stories on his web site.
    All of them are hair raising (except for his paintings).

I assume that at least part of them must be somewhat right.
    On cutting edge board like this one, there must be people who could make a good use this information.
    At least it is reassuring that it is highly unlikely for anyone to fall into black hole, meet with dark mater or get entangled with electron on the other side of universe, (unless in the dream) .

Between Miles Mathis and electric universe
    the old professors are likely impatiently waiting for retirement.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    nicld likes this.
  2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

3. Curves

Curves Guest

Thank you @JanSz! You'e helped me see that I was missing the full picture by focusing only on the color frequencies and not intensity of light.

To be honest, I'm still trying to better understand the relationship between intensity, "color temperature" and frequency of light, especially since color temperature is measured in Kelvins. When we're looking to duplicate LA, 10:00 am sunlight intensity with indoor lighting what measurement do we use? You can tell I'm a bit confused. Thanks so much for your help with this :)

------------
    Trying to tie 1,2 and 3 together:
    1. Can a light source be more intense (500 lux) and having a color temperature of 3500K while a different light source has 100 lux and a color temperature of 4000K?
    Yes. the spectrum of the light has no bearing with its intensity. This is like asking 'can classical music be louder than heavy metal'? Of course it can. I went to a concert where an intentionally loud gong kept my years ringing till the morning. Some limitations apply, but that discussion would go towards engineering the light sources.

https://www.quora.com/Is-color-temperature-affected-by-light-intensity-lux-or-distance

[​IMG]

3. UBI24 : BIO HACK LIGHTING PRIMER:We can make our bio hacks more scientific and quantitative by using hand-held plastic spectrometers or apps on our phone to check our mobile technology and TV displays. They give us data that display the spectra against a wavelength scale of visible light. In this way we can check the wavelength of light against what we would see if we were out in the sun. Artificial light is, in my opinion, the most significant non native EMF modern man faces. Spectrometers give a quantitative measure of the wavelength of light, they give no information about the relative intensities of the different wavelengths. Intensity of light is measured in foot candles or by erg-seconds per square centimeter. Roughly 2 million ergs is equivalent to 19 minutes of full summer noon day sunlight at a latitude in the mid section of the USA. This brings up an important point. Light intensity does not have standards in many citations, so if you go hunting for it you need a small primer on light intensity if you want to figure out how how much artificial light is affecting your surfaces in your eye, skin, gut, or lungs.LIGHT PRIMER FOR EQUIVALENCE MEASUREMENTS FOR YOUR OWN BIO HACKSA foot-candle (fc) is a non-SI unit of illuminance or light intensity widely used in the United States in photography, film, television, conservation lighting, greenhouse horticulture, the lighting industry, construction-related engineering and in building codes. The name “footcandle” conveys “the illuminance cast on a surface by a one-candela source one foot away. One foot-candle is equal to one lumen per square foot or approximately 10.764 lux. We will get to lumens and lux soon. Full, unobstructed sunlight has an intensity of approximately 10,000 fc. An overcast day will produce an intensity of around 1,000 fc. The intensity of light near a window can range from 100 to 5,000 fc, depending on the orientation of the window, time of year and latitude.Say you have an old Edison style lamp. You are told it produces 100 foot candles of light. That means at one foot from the lamp, you will receive 100 foot candles of light.
    A LUMEN is a unit of measurement of light. It measures light much the same way. Remember, a foot-candle is how bright the light is one foot away from the source. A lumen is a way of measuring how much light gets to what you want to light! A LUMEN is equal to one foot-candle falling on one square foot of area.

So, if we take your candle and ruler, lets place a book at the opposite end from the candle. We’d have a bit of a light up if we put the book right next to the candle, you know. If that book happens to be one foot by one foot, it’s one square foot. OK, got the math done there. Now, all the light falling on that book, one foot away from your candle equals both…….1 foot candle and one lumen! One foot-candle is equal to one lumen per square foot or approximately 10.764 lux.

RADIANCE and ILLUMINANCE

RADIANCE is another way of saying how much energy is released from that light source. Again, you measure it at the source. Unless you’re talking about measuring the radiance of something intensely hot, like the Sun. Then you might want to measure it at night, when it’s off.

ILLUMINANCE is what results from the use of light. You turn your flashlight on in a dark room, and you light something up. That’s ILLUMINANCE. Turning on a light in a dark room to make the burglar visible gives you ILLUMINANCE. It also gives you another problem when you note the thief has a gun pointing at you.

Illuminance is the intensity or degree to which something is illuminated and is therefore not the amount of light produced by the light source. This is measured in foot-candles again! And when people talk about LUX, it’s illuminance measured in metric units rather than English units of measure. To reinforce that, LUX is the measurement of actual light available at a given distance. A lux equals one lumen incident per square meter of illuminated surface area. They’re measuring the same thing, just using different measurement units. Remember,one foot-candle is equal to one lumen per square foot or approximately 10.764 lux. If you go to Home Depot or Lowe’s to buy bulbs you will see all these terms mixed together. They do it on purpose hoping you’ll think they are more scientific and therefore, more healthy. You will soon see, this should not dictate your choices.

LUX is an abbreviation for Lumens per square meter. Foot-candles equal the amount of Lumens per square feet of area.

A candlepower as a unit of measure (English) is not the same as a foot-candle. A candlepower is a measurement of the light at the source, not at the object you light up.

In theater or warehouses something else is used to measure light intensity. Nowadays we use the term CANDELA instead of candlepower. Candlepower, or CANDELA is a measure of how much light the bulb produces, measured at the bulb, rather than how much falls upon the thing you want to light up. Further confusing the matter is beam focus. That’s how much candlepower can be focused using a reflector/lens assembly. Obviously, if you project all your light bulbs intensity at a given spot, or towards something, it will be more intense, and the illuminance will be higher.

And for you figuring out LED equivalents, first you must know how many lumens your LED’s each produce. Then divide that value by 12.57 and you have candlepower of the LED. You don’t have foot-candles, remember foot-candles are illuminance. And we are measuring radiance.

Summing it all up:

Candlepower is a rating of light output at the source, using English measurements (rarely have I seen this in the USA).

Foot-candles are a measurement of light at an illuminated object.

Lumens are a metric equivalent to foot-candles in that they are measured at an object you want to illuminate.

Divide the number of lumens you have produced, or are capable of producing, by 12.57 and you get the candlepower equivalent of that light source.

We’ve now converted a measurement taken some distance from the illuminated object, converted it from a metric standard to an English unit of measure, and further converted it from a measure of illumination to a measure of radiation! Hopefully you’ll find this helpful in your bio hacks should you see these or hear these things from your local stores or human resource departments. I can tell you when I tried to figure out the light intensity in my operating room I needed all of these to get an idea of just how much artificial light I was getting and it was staggering. No wonder I got ill ten years ago before I began to mitigate the risks. The dentist office came in a very distant number two. This is why I wear my blue blockers and do some other things before I go to get my teeth cleaned.

4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Curves
    As you see there is many ways to evaluate light.

Most measurements are skewed toward how something looks to our eyes when lit by given light.
    Our eyes are easily fooled different ways.
    Some of the desired frequencies we do not even see (no need to put them in light source when one wants to read book).
    Some lights are designed so a diamond shines brighter and sharper.
    Some lights are designed to shine on expensive painting, make them look good and not destroy them over period of time.
    Some lights are designed to look very bright and use least energy.

On this board we are discussing light from health point of view.

Shine light on plant to make it grow in desirable way (and use least energy).
    Shine light on sponges, corrals, anemones and keep them alive and prosperous (it helps to not care about exorbitant energy bills).
    Shine light on lizard that is highly sensitive to desirable light conditions and keep it alive and prosperous for long time.

I am partial to lizards. Reminds me of canary in coal mine.
    When I look at light designed for lizards I see:
    1. desirable frequencies
    2. desirable energy level per unit area

From the descriptions you posted, the closest would be radiance.
    You posted:
    (RADIANCE is another way of saying how much energy is released from that light source. Again, you measure it at the source. Unless you’re talking about measuring the radiance of something intensely hot, like the Sun. Then you might want to measure it at night, when it’s off.)

Except;
    I do not care about energy released by sun or light bulb.
    I care about the amount of energy that makes to my skin.
    Color temperature, lux, Kelvin, I do not care much about them.

So the bottom line is
    energy that makes to my skin
    and
    I want light frequency content highly similar to frequencies that are at noon at equator.

I said noon, because dr Kruse made is known that UV-A and UV-B is highly desirable and we are always short on light (other than couple dozen guys actually living on equator), so we should benefit from little extra UV.
    Situation similar to DHA.
    We want everything in perfect desirable dose, that gives perfect results,
    and then
    we want little extra DHA (and UV-A & UV-B).
    -----------
    μW/cm^2

μW ---------- energy
    cm^2 ------- area

Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me.
    ==================

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    Curves likes this.
  5. Curves

Curves Guest

Highly poetic response and beautifully explained . I have a new found fondness for lizards :)

So, follow up question -- how do we measure intensity of light that hits our skin as it would if we were basking in full spectrum sunlight equal to LA noon?

As modern humans, many sit in dark and dimly sit rooms and offices all day. This can't be good. Dim light below 500 lux promotes melatonin production even in the presence of blue light (I think).

So, in daytime, we want intensity equal to a sunny day in LA. I don't know what to look for exactly to make this determination? Wattage + distance? Does color temp come into play?

The solar glo is 160W with a suggested distance of +30 cm/12" and a color temperature of 4600K.

6. Fractality

Fractality New Member

I think there should be more research and discussion on sulfur lamps. Though apparently they emit low levels of UV and IR light which from my understanding would not be optimal. I'm sure Dr. Kruse would have already been all over them if they were optimal. Also, the availability and cost aren't feasible enough presently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Very nice and timely, lots of good information, thank you.
    I see that you got this charts from:
    http://sound.westhost.com/lamps/index.html
    http://sound.westhost.com/lamps/
    http://sound.westhost.com/lamps/sp-lamp.html

It looks to me that the concerns there is about lighting as in providing most illumination for least amount of $$. Most lumens per $$. (Without health concerns).

Metal Halide lamps are very good lamps out of currently available.
    The chart comparing sulfur plasma lamp against metal halide is impressive.
    MH looks real poor and scattered comparing to sulfur plasma.
    I have found nice review of sulfur lamps.
    http://cannabisnowmagazine.com/grow...-of-indoor-cannabis-lighting-the-sulphur-lamp
    new lamp, tremendous amounts of light
    emits microwaves (biggest no no), new model without microwaves in development
    about 1000W smallest lamp, promising light for stadiums and airport hangars
    not yet ready for my living room, but very good start
    really impressive frequency chart, the look of it is much closer to sunlight than any other light.
    @Jack Kruse should consult developers of new generations of this lamps.

As impressive as this sulfur lamps spectrum looks,
    note
    that they are missing both ends of the spectrum, UV and red + IR
    that would make them unhealthy in present configuration.

///

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Curves
    Describing light using lux, kelvin, color is not helpful in context of this discussion.
    All what counts is
    1. frequency similar to sunlight
    2. energy at skin level similar to sunlight

Light intensity equal to a sunny day 10AM in LA is inadequate for our purpose.
    It is light at latitude of 34.0500° N
    We (ideally) want latitude zero=equator at noon.
    I brought LA only because I have chart for that place (thanks to you)

If we have equatorial sunlight available and are fully accustomed to that light, we will not try to get exposure to that light over 100% of the time. We would look for a shade.

I do not have instrumentation to measure light, must use chart or table.

At this time I see two lights that are (available for purchase) and promising to have
    full spectrum light frequency.
    That light replicates full sunlight spectrum to the best of current technological ability.
    That is to say not much, but it is the best we can do at this time.

Exo Terra Sunray Metal Halide Replacement Heat Bulb 70 Watt
    Exo-Terra-Solar-Glo-160W
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    For practical reasons I stick with
    Exo-Terra-Solar-Glo-160W
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    No light is perfect.
    Solar-Glo-160W likely gives off too much heat, I keep it at 36" distance for comfort reasons.
    At that distance I gives UVB 25 uW/cm^2
    On strong sunny day in middle of USA one may get 150 μW/cm^2 UVB
    50-250 uW/cm2 mimics the natural environment
    150/25=6
    250/25=10
    One can keep up to ten lamps

Above considerations are from UV-B and IR pov only.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Below I have compiled useful lines from previous posts on this thread.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    http://sound.westhost.com/lamps/sp-lamp-f2.jpg

------------------------------
    Ultraviolet A UVA 315–400
    Ultraviolet B UVB 280–315
    Ultraviolet C UVC 100–280
    at the distance of 36"
    UVA 550 uW/cm^2
    UVB 35 uW/cm^2
    LUX 7600
    Exo-Terra-Solar-Glo-160W
    at the distance of 36"
    UVA no data
    UVB 25 uW/cm^2
    LUX 1600
    -------------------------------
    Reptile UVB150 gives one, 1 μW/cm^2 of UVB at 36" from bulb
    Reptile UVB200 gives six, 6 μW/cm^2 of UVB at 36" from bulb
    Solar Glo 160 gives one 25 μW/cm^2 of UVB at 36" from bulb
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ------
    On strong sunny day in middle of USA one may get 150 μW/cm^2 UVB

How Much is Too Much?
    50-250 uW/cm2 mimics the natural environment enough to keep your UV-dependent BASKING reptiles healthy, depending on the species, according to the latest research.
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/low-cortisol-levels.14194/page-18
    ---------------------------------------------------------

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/low-cortisol-levels.14194/page-18
    [​IMG]
    =========================================================================================
    Electron, positron, proton, anti-proton, neutron, all the neutrinos and all the mesons.
    They are all spin levels or multiples of the same particle.
    http://milesmathis.com/photon.html
    Unifying the Photon
    with other quanta
    ==========================================================================================

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    seanb4 likes this.
  9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

[ quote="Eilee, post: 183915, member: 9755"]I live in the Boston area and, while I am managing to get about 20 minutes morning sun, I don't feel that is enough. I am also concerned about not getting enough UVB as the cold weather approaches. Wondering peoples thoughts about using a reptile light to get both UVA and UVB? If I were to get one of these, is this something I would want to use all day in my new office that I am setting up, or for a limited time each day?

With regards to wanting more morning sun, is the reptile light sufficient, or what I want to get a combination of black and full spectrum light to use in the morning in addition to the small amount of real sun that I am able to get?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!![/quote]

I take it as 20-30 minutes

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/uva-uvb-light.17231/#post-183916

11. Terminator

Terminator New Member

I take it as 20-30 minutes

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/uva-uvb-light.17231/#post-183916[/quote]

Exo Terra SUNRAY has better spectrum profile than Solar Glo. Is this not a good option because metal halide ?

12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Sunray have better light profile than Solar Glow
    Each SUNRAY setup Exo Terra Sunray Light Fixture, 70-watt $179.03
    http://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Sunray-Fixture-70-watt/dp/B00AGCT4HC
    Each Solar Glow 160W $35 bulb requires simple $10 lamp socket.

If one is able to figure ballast arrangement that would drive 6+ of this lamps at once, please post.

//////

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  13. Fractality

Fractality New Member

Are you saying that one would need 6+ of the Solar Ray lamps to make it worth while? Why wouldn't one be enough? Because it is only 70W? How much watt is needed?

Thanks

14. JanSz

JanSz Gold

read post #568 above

at the distance of 36"
    UVB 35 uW/cm^2
    Exo-Terra-Solar-Glo-160W
    at the distance of 36"
    UVB 25 uW/cm^2

We want at least 150 μW/cm^2 UVB
    but no more than 50-250 uW/cm2 UVB
    If we use Solar-Glo-160W
    150/25=6
    250/25=10
    we need six to 10 lamps
    If we use Sunray Metal Halide Replacement Heat Bulb 70 Watt
    150/35=4
    250/35=7
    we need four to 7 lamps

15. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Fractality
    One more way to look at
    vs
    Exo-Terra-Solar-Glo-160W

I got Solar-Glo-160W and found that I can be comfortable with it for long time when it is at distance of 36" from me.
    Reading from table at that distance the temperature is 28C or 82F.
    http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/solar_glo.php

If I place
    at distance 16" I get the same temperature is 28C or 82F.
    http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/sunray_bulb.php
    but with that shorter distance I get
    UVB=135 μW/cm^2
    so
    150/135=1
    250/135=2
    with shorter distances we can make do with one or two

Note that at that shoter distance the movement is restricted and it may be less comfortable to be under that arangement for a whole day.

/////

seanb4 likes this.
  16. JanSz

JanSz Gold

The goal for you in purchasing artificial lights:
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...rchasing-artificial-lights.17241/#post-184041

[ quote="Jack Kruse, post: 184041, member: 1031"]

1. Color temperature of the light should be below 3000K
    2. Strict avoidance of Fluorescents and LED's
    3. If you use a black like CFL make sure you are not Mercury toxic.
    4. We need to measure color temperature using the physics standards of black box techniques and stop using the CIE 1931 Standards. (hard for the general public to do now)
    5. Use no frequency modulation of the device. This is dimmers and controls. This causes more complicated electric and magnetic fields and introduces flicker effect.
    6. A 12 volt DC reflector lamp meets all these requirements for todays market.[/quote]

seanb4 likes this.
  17. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I'll bet the dark ages didn't seem so dark at the time. Things were just...traditional. Architecture, music, art, dance, education, medicine, science -- everything just coasted along nicely. Coasted downhill, maybe, but there was some comfort in that.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  18. JanSz

JanSz Gold

19. Fractality

Fractality New Member

That is a salient point. However, I believe you have stated that one only needs to be under the bulbs for 20-30 minutes a day. Perhaps this is somewhat dependent upon location. I am in San Diego, California so I get a decent amount of natural UV exposure. I would use these bulbs as supplements (especially during the week when I cannot lay mostly naked in the sun).

20. seanb4

seanb4 New Member

I recently upgraded to 2 solar glos (after smashing my first one) and gave myself eye sun burn, something to look out for when ramping it up. Symptoms, blood shot eye, blured vision, eye pain and sensitivity to light. Recovery 2 days???

Anyway, the blood shot eye interests me, ever since having my setup over a month ago I have had a blood shot left eye, which is were my lamps are, on the left hand side. Is this a constant light version of eye burn? Is this bad for you?

How does the eye deal with this? I assume it addapts like the skin tans however I'm not sure how. I assume dha will play a big role in recovery...