1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Low Cortisol Levels

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Eddie Garza, Apr 29, 2015.

1. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I think that the Solar Glo appears to be mainly IR light???
    ------
    I think that you are right.
    ---------------------------------
    But,
    the conclusion that therefore using UVB200 or UVB150 is more profitable is off.

UVB200 and UVB150 are 26W bulbs.
    Solar Glo is 160W

Solar Glo produces much less UVA and UVB per watt of used electricity,
    but overall you would need 25 UVB150 bulbs
    to produce same amount of UVB power
    if those bulbs were at 36" from you

2. I have the Solar Glo too and use it only during the day. Like you it's based on my gut. I leave mine at work, get laughed at daily and the weird looks I receive are priceless but I still use it only during the day which means while I'm at work. I'm curious about night use but it's so darn bright it just doesn't make sense to me.

3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I have designated my 24 hrs into
    14hr day time
    10hrs night time

Solar Glo can be used only during day time, it is full spectrum light (contains blue and green)

At night time
    when I do not sleep --- I use black and red lights
    when I sleep black light only

There is a spike of blue light in Solar Glo (slightly over 400), I do not know how to get rid of that.
    If I would put blue blockers on that would eliminate everything below 400nm (but the blue spike would go thru anyhow).
    So I would get rid of good UV and keep bad blue, that would not make a sense.

4. My husband brought home some black lights he saw after I had been talking about them. I'm concerned they are not the right kind. I tried on during sleep one night and after three hours I woke and could not get back to sleep ... for three hours! So I am thinking somehow this was stimulating even though I had an eye mask on so to my eyes the room was dark but my skin was picking up something.

seanb4 likes this.
  5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

seanb4 likes this.
  6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Please review this video describing how dminder works.

As it is now, I think that it DOES NOT measure actual exposure to UV-B.
    It estimates it based on computer input and data tables.
    My next door neighbor have lots of clouds, I have cloudless sunny day.
    We have same UV index published by Weather channel. (time 2:56/4:10)

It warns about skin burning.
    Skin burning is a recent factor when people are not seeing enough sun and their skin is not conditioned. People with skin long term accustomed to sun (in their area) can stay outside whole day, naked. At worst they may go into shade under tree, still naked.
    (Alexander Wunsch MD video)(below), there is description on how to condition skin to sun exposure. It takes whole month of daily incremental exposures to get there.

I was expecting that input is coming via cell phone camera.
    I was expecting ability to check what my Solar Glo lamp produces (regardless of time of the day or latitude and altitude.

It takes all kind of factors into consideration (good)
    lattitude, altitude
    time of the day
    % exposed skin
    but
    for UV-B exposure takes published UV index

Also, it is Politically Correct from pov of UV-A.
    It warns about skin damage due to UV-A.
    People using it may tend to stay inside more, missing on grounding and sun exposure, afraid of sun.

@Jack Kruse

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    Curves likes this.
  7. twilightkid

twilightkid New Member

Hey JanSz - I recently purchased the setup you were posting ( ^^this lamp with the 160w UV-A/UV-B powersun bulb).
    I'm having some trouble coming up with a plan for mounting the lamp, since I noticed the directions say the bulb must be horizontal or it voids the warranty. Nonetheless, Would you mind sharing your personal usage and or the amount of time you expose yourself to the bulb in a sitting?

8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

My lamps are above me and are at 45degree angle from horizontal (or vertical).
    I have three lamps in the cluster, two Solar Glo 160 and one UVB200.
    They are 36" from my shoulders.
    I spend lots of time under them.
    I do not count time.
    Originally from Poland.
    I am white Caucasian with originally very white skin, but have a deep brown suntan.
    If you have white skin and have not been exposed much to sun, think about how this lamp affects you.
    If it does, keep some limit on exposure for 2-3 weeks.
    After that you should be good for unlimited exposure (I guess).

/
    Something is not right about horizontal position of lamp.
    This lamp are meant for terrariums.
    Dedicated housings for this lamps are sold to mount them in vertical position over terrarium.

9. twilightkid

twilightkid New Member

Thanks for the helpful advice JanSz, much appreciated!

10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...-but-lowish-blood-pressure.17076/#post-180904

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/sun-lamp-uv

SUN KRAFT Ultra-Violet UV & Ozone Therapy Lamp in Model A-1 Quarts Cold USA
    $69.00
    Antique Sun Kraft Ultra Violet UV Ozone Therapy Lamp. The arm swings up Model A-1 Made in Chicago, Il. Made of stainless steel. I tested it works. It was used for many ailments.

[​IMG]

======================================================
    [​IMG]

Vintage Sperti Combination UV IR Sun Lamp Model P-104 110-120v
    $20.00
    Free Shipping
    You are viewing a vintage Model P 104 Combination Ultra Violet Infra-Red Sun Lamp by Sperti. 110-120 Volts. 385 Watts. Cloth 2 prong plug.

twilightkid and nicld like this.
  11. nicld

nicld Gold

Well, according to Dminder I can no longer get vitamin D from the sun for the next 99 days. Good thing I have a trip planned to Arizona and will probably looking at another weekend in late January to get out there too. Waiting for the last vitamin D test results to see where I am at. I will be using my UVB and IR bulbs and see where I am at 3 months from now. I do expect a drop though. Still will make sure to get out in the morning sun even in the depths of winter.

twilightkid likes this.
  12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Brent Patrick and Narrew like this.
  13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Jack Kruse

Thank you for video about Sun Kraft Ultra Violet UV Ozone Therapy Lamp.

People using those lamps are using eye glasses blocking all light.
    That was then and now in suntan salons.

Should we be using those glasses?

Humans in Great Rift valley did not have eye glasses available and did fine.

////////////////////

14. twilightkid

twilightkid New Member

JanSZ - I can tell you, while I don't think I can definitively state I burned from the solar glo- I have a base tan from summer. I certainly "felt" that sun burn type feeling though...Ooo it's working.[/quote]

15. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  16. Andrea

Andrea What is NOT on the menu?

As for black lights, I had a look at my lamps while wearing blueblockers. One of them was green. That means that it has a good amount of blue light in it. Not so good, especially at night, I suppose...

17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Name those black lights, post link to the place you got them.

18. JMO

JMO Gold

19. JanSz

JanSz Gold

JMO likes this.
  20. Andrea

Andrea What is NOT on the menu?

I bought it on ebay. The same seller has 30W bulbs as well; I got one of those too and it doesn't show any green with my blueblockers. How much blue there is in it's light spectrum I don't know, of course.

I'm just not sure that buying random black lights and exposing oneself to them all day and maybe at night is a very good idea.