1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Low Cortisol Levels

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Eddie Garza, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

The android app does not work on my vintage phone or on my kitKat.

I use this site.
    zardoz.nilu.no/~olaeng/fastrt/VitD_quartMEDandMED.htmlhtml

For southern hemisphere enter the lat/long with - sign eg -34.6

2. nicld

nicld Gold

Going to do a little comparison with this app using the real sun versus a UVB light. I KNOW that it is not the same but just curious, I work with numbers for a living.

Oh and I upgraded the app to the premium for more bells and whistles.

fitness@home likes this.
  3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/the-quantlet.15839/

4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

5. Curves

Curves Guest

@JanSz In looking deeper into the light quality of the Solar Glo bulb you ordered as I ordered one as well. I'm wondering if you agree -- it looks like this bulb has a frequency range of 380-1000 nm. That means full spectrum visible light range, a lot of infra red but minimal UVA/UVB (no 390-320). Its says it has UVB/A but from frequency chart it would indicate otherwise. Do you use this one alone or do you add an additional UVA/UVB bulb? Of course, with a spike in the visible blue range you could not use use bulb at night. I know Dr. K will be going into this in the November webinar but I'm curious about your thoughts? Apologies if you've already posted about this but I didn't see you address it directly.
    Solar Glow bulb 71fj6wpuwdL._SL1302_.jpg

6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Curves
    As I am continuing in this light research, I progressively bought
    Reptile UVB150
    Reptile UVB200
    Solar Glo 160
    Each of these lights have a frequency charts.
    Those charts may be misleading because vertical axis shows Relative Spectra Pover (%).
    So the Reptile lights use substantial % of their power to produce UVB and UVA,
    and Solar Glo uses very small % of their power to produce UVB and UVA.
    But all that is relative.
    There are tables on each of those bulbs. They show power density of UVB light.
    That table is what I am using.
    Reptile UVB150 gives one, 1 μW/cm^2 of UVB at 36" from bulb
    Reptile UVB200 gives six, 6 μW/cm^2 of UVB at 36" from bulb
    Solar Glo 160 gives one 25 μW/cm^2 of UVB at 36" from bulb

Those lamps are meant for terrariums.
    The Solar Glo is meant to provide UV, light and heat in one piece of equipement.

////
    See also post 377. Dr Kruse says that those tables are inaccurate
    (or possibly I have not used then in right way).
    Anyway, it looks like the amount of vit D produced may be overly optimistic.
    Unless something changes after next webinar I think I will get another solar Glo.

/

Dean6789 likes this.
  7. Curves

Curves Guest

@JanS, ahhhhh. That's it! I totally missed that the vertical axis was "Relative Spectral Power (%)" and was just reading the chart across. Since, at ground level sunlight is 44% visible light, 3% ultraviolet (with the Sun at its zenith), and the remainder infrared, the percentages of the total could match natural am sunlight. In other words, the percentage of UV is so small that it might only look absent on their chart. Coooolll beans!

So, it looks like the Solar Glo is the way to go (that rhythms by the way). :)

While I have your attention, I want to thank you for all your research and notes. I've been avidly following although not commenting (I'm hyper focused on catching up on all of Dr. K's blogs for the last year and a half! Anytime I finish one, I tell myself how smart I'm getting LOL.)

So thank you. All you research, comments, summaries are super helpful.

Lahelada likes this.
  8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

#1 love your self
    Many firing brain neurons.
    I like rhythms of foxtrot, waltz, West Coast Swing and country 2 step.

Curves likes this.
  9. nicld

nicld Gold

Just one day FYI, using the dminder app I put my phone up to the light (UVB150) and it read it as only 50% UV getting through. I will be doing more checking this week at work now that i have a 200 now.

Curves likes this.
  10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Super,
    please keep track of results.
    Make sure that you note the distance.
    I prefer distance 3 feet.

Note that in post 377 dr Kruse mention that the charts from light I was using are inaccurate.
    I would not be surprised if by 50%

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  11. Curves

Curves Guest

Ncid, I think I am missing something with the dminder. Can you really "aim it" at the sky or a bulb and get a UV reading? I looked all over the app but didn't see this feature nor did it mention it in the upgrade features. That would be totally cool. Can you please point me in the right direction for using it? Much thanks!

thisbirdhaswings likes this.
  12. nicld

nicld Gold

Yes, I think it is in with the upgrades. When you pick to set the UV setting (0% if perfectly sunny) you can click on that and have it automatically check for the UV rating by pointing it at the sun. I have tried it outside and it worked pretty good when it was cloudy.

Curves likes this.
  13. Curves

Curves Guest

thanks ncid! I bought the upgrade, and took a picture of the Solar Glo bulb with the camera but could not figure out how to get a reading from there. I'll have to experiment with it outside when it's not raining to see if I can get a result. To be continued . . . :)

14. JanSz

JanSz Gold

That is the question that waits for answer.
    -----
    Point instrument at Solar Glo 160W
    from distance of 3feet
    read IUs/min
    -----
    note:
    dminder takes into account skin type, age, sex, geographical location
    how that will affect lamp readings, good question

/
    Another question,
    what is IUs
    and how that relates to IU

/

Curves likes this.
  15. Curves

Curves Guest

Posted this in the wrong thread:

It's raining here today. I could tell my mood was a little darker than it has been after getting a lot of morning sunlight. So, I decided to try sunbathing, naked in front of the Solar Glo bulb in my office. I have to tell you, my mood instantly elevated and I experienced a deeper feeling of well being. I think this might be a solution for fall and winter here in the Pacific Northwest where it is cloudy and rainy a lot of the time. JanSz I'm gong to get a second bulb and put it on the other side of my body so I have the full spectrum of light coming in from the other direction as well.. Wow! What a difference a bulb makes!

JMO likes this.
  16. JMO

JMO Gold

Hi Curves,
    Do you need a special lamp for the bulb?

17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

That have given me a push, just ordered next one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360567821610
    Exo Terra Solar Glo 160W Reptile Bulb UVB Basking Heat Lizard MVB Mercury Vapor
    Price:
    US $34.75with shipping
    they have 8 left at that price

================
    @JMO

it fits in regular house lamp.

18. nicld

nicld Gold

I would be careful about putting them into a regular lamp. I tried putting one into a lamp that was not rated to take a 160W and it got really really hot.

JMO likes this.
  19. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Good warning.
    The lamp is designed to be hot, it is lamp that makes IR light.

ExoTerra sells lamps for those bulbs.
    I am cheap. Use this:
    Woods 0151 18/2-Gauge SPT-2 Clamp Lamp with 8.5-Inch Reflector, 150-Watt, 6-Foot Cord
    Price: $8.49 ($8.49 / EACH) Free Shipping for Prime Members
    + $0.59 estimated tax
    buy I got mine in Home Depot. (designated for 150W)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    http://www.petsmart.com//WFS/PETUS/...-0?green=087B07ED-10A6-5104-B89D-8C07CCEB48DE

http://www.petsmart.ca/national-geographic/bulbs-lamps/national-geographic-trade-dual-dome-heat-lamp-zid36-27805/cat-36-catid-800571;pgid=3JZiO_DfMy9SRp1YO3WVzq820000K1oW5htd;sid=iHCrZpQCwGipZsImcbLtYqYI4dkyHlvcGrz4LX0N?var_id=36-27805&_t=pfm=category

ZOO MED™ POWERSUN™ Vapor UVB Reptile Lamp

[​IMG]

JMO and nicld like this.
  20. nicld

nicld Gold

Yep, that is good one for use with a higher wattage bulb.

Just wanted to make sure that people used the correct fixture for the bulb they are using. There have been too many house fires that have killed people recently and would hate to see that happen due to someone using the wrong fixture and walking away, just for a bit.