1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

low carb, intermitent fasting energy crash

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by Ben1983, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Ben1983

Ben1983 New Member

Up until two months ago I was always eating junk food at night.....much of which was high carb.....and I would eat quite a lot.... 8 krispy crèmes was no big deal for me. I would eat super healthy throughout the earlier parts of the day according the the epi paleo diet recommendations.....but I just kept giving in at night. Anyway, I managed not give into the cravings for a few weeks and that's about how long it took to lose the habit of eating junk at night....and so for the past 8 weeks I have been eating perfectly and intermittent fasting (16 hours without food each day). At first I felt much better as I wasn't eating so close to bed time and I also wasn't eating all the shitty ingredients that were in the gas station junk food. However, about a week ago, I noticed myself starting to get headaches and I have never been one to get headaches. Also, on the day the headaches started, I noticed my energy go down quite a bit. Fast forward one week to today and my energy is getting close to rock bottom. I have really struggled to get through my shifts at work the past two days. I have a feeling that because I haven't taken on board many recommended lifestyle changes eg. not doing CT (I do short cold showers though as don't have a bath), too much blue light exposure, and I work shift work.....I have a feeling those things have caused me not do well on my low carb epi paleo diet and intermittent fasting. Is there a good chance that my guess is correct? It would make sense why I had no energy crashes when I was pumping the carb-loaded junk foods and no headaches either....even though I didn't feel great eating the junk food I still had energy. Nothing else in my life changed that I am aware of during the time, or leading upto the time, that my energy crashed and headaches started. Also, I remember about a year and half ago when I was eating super clean epi paleo and intermittent fasting that my energy started to crash then too.....back then I thought it was ironic that my energy got worse as my eating got better....but now, as stated above, I think it is due to lifestyle factors coupled with the healthy low carb eating. I am going to increase my carbs to see if the energy comes back and headaches go away. I will do this at least until I am able to make the necessary lifestyle changes that fit in well with low carb epi paleo eating. If you have any other thoughts or suggestions please let me know. By the way, I am in Sydney, Australia and it is coming into winter here now.

2. Ben1983

Ben1983 New Member

Also, I'll mention that I haven't been eating any coconut oil as it makes my stomach feel upset every time I do. My primary fat has been ghee.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

you live in Southern hemisphere? Why CO now at winter solstice?

4. Ben1983

Ben1983 New Member

Oh yeah.... forgot about that....well haven't been eating it for ages anyway for stomach reasons.

5. WereBear

WereBear New Member

I can sympathize. I was desperate and ate carbs, but now that I'm further along the protocol, with greatly improved sleep, I can IF without problems.

I cannot do much in the way of CT because it makes me too fatigued, but I'm confident I can work up to it. And sleep seems to be a real problem for you; which is preventing your body from working as it should.