1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Low carb/ insulin resistance

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Dali Dula, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Scompy

Scompy Gold

You'll have to poke around for the info and everyone is a bit different in what conditions are going on individually. I'll tell you about me, but it may have nothing at all to do with you. I've been ketotic for 4+ years and I also play soccer 1x week, weight lift about 3x per week, and typically do yard work on the weekends. Harder or prolonged exercise can really aggrivate my need for more salts. My cramps are usually in my 2nd toes and tend to happen in the middle of the night after a hard-workout day if I didn't replenish enough. Often it's related to a lack of magnesium, but can also be sodium, potassium and others like sulfur. These days, I often incorporate a few squares of 85% dark chocolote every other day or so to keep my magnesium fairly constant. But take note, if I do too much chocolate at once, it can easily lead to diarrhea, typically 30-60mins after eating due to the body flushing too much magnesium through the large intestines. And because of enough diahrrea, the flushing is also flushing away other salts too and can lead to other imbalance. Epsom salt baths also are Magnesium + Sulfur, and usually lead to a bowel movement. Same reason why a bunch of onions can cause diahrrea if you go too high on the sulfur in one sitting. Another takeaway is being hydrated enough. When I used to drink tea or coffee with caffeine, this can work against hydration, and then often lead to cramps. For salts, I typically spread them out over the day, like 2 eggs with breakfast adding celtic salt + celery salt (seed). Same with dinner, I'll get some celtic or himalayen or sea salt along with the meal. If I did some harder work earlier in the day, it's a good pracice for me to get enough salt on that day to prevent cramping. Note, some of my heart palpatations went along with the cramping in my past. I recognized working out under fluorescent lights would be a big trigger along with mismatching magnesium during or just after a hard-workout... magnesium is a heart-beat regulator, so not getting enough or getting too much can lead to a great deal of bad. Marrying the balance of salts with eating ketotic can be a challenge until knowing what food-sources and salt-volumes generally work.

lohd2015 likes this.
  2. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

^^^^I had similar experience with cramping . . . . . tried the salt (himalayan) - it helped but not much . . . . . magnesium - again helped but not much . . . . . tons of sulphur in my diet . . . . for me it was potassium. Moving into summer here and eating a few bananas a week eliminated the cramps.

. . . . now, what was that JK said about potassium earlier in the thread? :confused:

Hmmmmn . . . . . o_O

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    lohd2015, Scompy and shah78 like this.
  3. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

@Scompy and @Da-mo
    Thank you for sharing your experiences.
    I do have to apologize for not being explicit when I posted my question. My cramps are strictly in the lower intestines and they always precede the diarrhea bouts. I rarely get cramps in my legs or any where else.
    I have been supplementing with magnesium citrate powder for over 1.5 years. I take close to 800 mg /day. 600 mg in the morning on an empty stomach and 200 mg at night to help my sleep. I am now totally adapted and do not have the loose bowel movements when I first started.
    I also take 1/4 teaspoons of sea salt following the Salt Loading Protocol for iodine, twice daily (once in the summer, twice in the winters as I find the salt to be highly thermogenic and helps to maintain my body heat)
    I get my daily potassium from one banana, plus some from a multi vitamin.
    I do suspect my diarrhea spells could be related to low blood sugar since I would experience dizziness and extreme weakness when it's a bad one. I've only had two of these extreme spells in the past 1.5 years. The last one which happened less than a month ago was quite scary. These episodes (minor or major) almost always have the same pattern: too much coconut oil (more than 3 tablespoons) on an empty stomach, followed by no food for at least 1.5 hours, then a meal without or extremely low on carbs. The last time it happened, my husband was on the phone with 911. I gambled and took a teaspoon of glucose powder, which quieted down the convulsions and dizziness, then I was strong enough to able to tell him I didn't need to go to the ER. I did recover from the episode quickly and felt normal within an hour.
    So I was just wondering if anyone else has similar issues, and what I may be doing wrong.
    Thank you all for being here!

4. see my comments in PM to you on FB

petro also outlines the mitochondrial activities with various inputs here: http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/protons-and-ultra-low-fat-once-more.html
    with great illustrations of the various combinations of fats and sugars etc

the only problem is that lipids can be desaturated in a cold environment and result in deposition of PUFA which can murder the liver...(fatty acid elongase activity) whether this is the fat that is then mobilised and burned for thermogenesis i dont know...if its liberated it would not be so good for inflammation i wouldnt think...but then we have the whole CT diminishing cytokines too...IDK

cantweight likes this.
  5. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

RE reading this thread. It is a good one.

6. Scompy

Scompy Gold

Some of the underlying problem 2 years ago was a Potassium deficiency. Mg very rarely, but K+ was really lacking to cause the heart issues and cramping in me. I weave in more salads and some higher K+ foods on days I know I'll be working out harder.