1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Low carb/ insulin resistance

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Dali Dula, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. Jude

Jude Gold

Great find.....good explanation too...thanks for that Hemming.

3. Hemming

Hemming New Member

I just came to think of it. I read it a long time ago.

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

5. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Sure. I didn't realise it was being discussed there.

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Its not but it should be.... I've posted this thread - and it got some traction - but not everyone understands the implications of this.....

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The BigPapachakra dude needs to read that.

8. Hemming

Hemming New Member

9. Hemming

Hemming New Member

10. Hemming

Hemming New Member

11. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Yeah, I read that post by Bill when Jack linked to it. Definitely a good read.

Thanks for the link to the interview, just downloaded it, and will probably listen to it in the next day or two. There was a short section on carbohydrate refeeds, and how they are unnecessary. I definitely agree with that, but also want a mechanism to deal with carbs should they be consumed at non-optimal periods in time (seasonal or circadian). The thinking for me so far has been:

- Bitter Melon (500mg before and after)
    - Resistance training before hand (upregulates GLUT-4 transporter)
    - maybe some cinnamon and Alpha Lipoic Acid
    - CT

Maybe I'll try that combo with a moderate dose of 100-150g carbs in a meal and see how quickly I bounce back into ketosis.

12. heatherh

heatherh New Member

How do you know what carbs are seasonal? I live in SoCal and all fruits/veggies are available all the time.

13. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

If you haven't read this thread... stop and take the time. there's some serious goodness here!!!

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

You have much to learn grasshopper. Begin

15. persistence

persistence New Member

I think the point made at the bottom of Peter's HyperLipid blog linked above is the one people should pay attention to. If you have high fasting glucose, but low A1C values, that implies that *on average* your blood sugar is low. The fasting glucose value that is high is in that case not a representative value at all. You should monitor throughout the day, and you should see a pattern that suggests that - on average - your glucose level is much lower than your fasting level. If your intraday glucose readings are not lower than the fasting level, then how possibly could your A1C be low?

Let's give Peter's numbers from HyperLipid as a specific example. In Peter's blog, he says he has fasting glucose of 5.5 mmol/L which is equivalent to 99 mg/dL Then he references his A1C at 4.4%, which corresponds to an average glucose level of only 80 mg/dL. 4.4% is a super low A1C. So who really cares what kind of glucose reading you get as your fasting number? Track A1C against your health risks. The population studies are done against A1C values.

Now compare that to a person who has fasting glucose of 99 mg/dL and A1C is 5.8%. A1C 5.8% corresponds to about 120 mg/dL average. Wow, prediabetes for sure, and not a good level at all. And - just as importantly - the fasting glucose was a completely misleading number. The truth revealed by A1C is even worse than the fasting glucose.

I think people make this issue of insulin resistance induced by carbs more complicated than it needs to be. Look at your A1C. If that number is high you need to treat to get it lower, otherwise you are taking on the health risks (cancer, heart disease, neuropathy, etc) associated with high A1C.

Some people seem to eat low carb and magically get a lower A1C. Others (like me) are not so lucky. Low carb may be better than not eating low carb for many reasons. But the point to stress here is that low carb is NOT AN EXCUSE for you to ignore a high A1C number. Everyone spends too much time looking at the wrong concept (fasting glucose reading) and not enough time looking at the right one to assess overall risks (A1C).

16. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

This is especially true for the undiagnosed prediabetic. A few months before I was diagnosed with a A1C of 13 I had a spot check at my annual physical of FBG which was about 120. Doc was not concerned and said we would keep an eye on it. I knew nothing about diabetes at the time and carried on. 4-5 months later I got really thirsty for a few weeks and had BG of 1100. I think A1C should be part of annual blood work for everybody. I had no other obvious risk factors so Doc thought FBG of 120 was not a problem. I got a new Doc soon after.

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I agree with that Dali.......but HBa1C is not the be all end all. It can lead to some false assumptions when that is the only test you use. Lots of MDs are doing that now.

18. persistence

persistence New Member

Jack, you give too much credit to most MDs. Most MDs do exactly what Dali described: 1) They don't ask for an A1C by default; 2) They comment on FBG > 100 that "this is a little high and we should watch it." The point of my post, and the point of Dali's example, is that FBG by itself doesn't give much of value, unless the number is in a diabetic range by itself. A1C is what tells you how much overall glucose your body has been exposed to.

The fact that you reject A1C alone and like to look at additional markers just shows that you are already two or three steps ahead of most physicians. There are 75+ million prediabetics in the US, and the vast majority of those shrug it off because their doctors shrugged it off. I wonder what percentage of that 75 million have even had an A1C done at all.

19. nicld

nicld Gold

Or they shrug it off because they think it is too hard to change and NOT become diabetic even when they have someone in the house who has some knowledge in what lifestyle changes can be made to NOT get diabetes but won't listen because what does the wife knows all she does is nag nag nag about getting rid of the sugar, flour, diet mountain dew and bananas in the winter.........:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

........rant done :)

Penny likes this.
  20. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

How long does it take to develop physiological IR? I have been doing LC for close to 2 years now. Occasionally I still get nauseated and/or diarrhea preceded by cramping from low blood sugar (?) This usually happens after a meal that's relatively high fat and no carbs. The cramping would subside if I immediately start to eat some high sugar content foods.