1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Lots of Low Hormones...

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by gottifire, Jun 4, 2014.

1. gottifire

gottifire New Member

Been lurking here for quite a while but wanted to wait till I got my labs back before posting.

Here's a little history:

I'm a 34 year old male.

My sleep has been declining for the last 2 years and my bowel movements have kind of been all over the place (sometimes diarrhea and sometimes constipated).

I've been really struggling with fatigue.

About a year ago I started taking Armour because my thyroid was slightly hypo. I'm on 2 grains right now.

If I don't use LOTS of salt on my food and add a teaspoon to a gallon of water I pee like crazy.

Around the time that I started the Armour my testosterone was low so I started injections which brought up to a nice number but the only difference I noticed was a little bit more sex drive so I stopped it about 6 weeks ago.

I've been eating paleo for several years but oddly enough it was when I tried something similar to the leptin reset (about 2 years ago) that my sleep went from okay to horrible.

It's now somewhere between okay and horrible. I usually wake around 3:30am and sometimes have a hard time getting back to sleep.

My cholesterol used to be really high (>350) until I started the Armour then it came way down.

My total cortisol is pretty low (14.4) which seems odd for poor sleep.

So here is my lab work and I would love any input:

Morning Cortisol - 9.5
    Noon Cortisol - 3.1
    AfternoonCortisol - 1.3
    NighttimeCortisol - 0.6
    Bedtime Melatonin - 11.7

DHEA-S: 74 (95-390)
    Progesterone: 14 (34-104)
    Testosterone: 270 (356-1004)

I also had a bunch of other labs that some of you might think are important so feel free to ask and I will list the results if I had them.

I know jack says that the first step in fixing cortisol should be to get the other hormones fixed. I really don't want to go back on testosterone cause I don't want to take it for the rest of my life.

I just started taking DHEA and Progesterone but I would love to get any other input.

Also I'm at a loss on what to do about sleep.

I've tried literally every natural supplement around and even some prescriptions and I still wake up sometimes multiple times.

Thank you so much for any insight you have.

Oh, one more thing that I almost forgot to mention: I recently tested positive for h.pylori

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Welcome Gotti! It would be really good if you could transfer all your info to a journal - in the journal section - as well as posting labs here.

Do you have Dr. K's book? The Epi-Paleo RX - it will give you a great overview of the first couple of years of the blog.
    Have you been reading blogs that will give you some insight to your condition?

Have you listened to Dr. K's podcasts? they are a fast and easy way to get information about all this.

Have you read the easy start guides on the home page?

What is the non native EMF situation at home? at work? where do you live?

are you grounding? and getting lots of sunlight?

drinking lots of R/O water?

no fake lite after sunset?

There is a lot to consider and Dr. K. will need more context to direct you ....

3. gottifire

gottifire New Member

Thank you for replying.

I will head on over and start a journal.

I do have the book - but it's been a while since I read it, maybe I should read it again.

I've listened to quite a few of the podcasts.

I've read most of the blogs that he's posted.

The EMF situation at home is probably a little better than average but could be better.

I try to go barefoot as much as possible, I rarely use electronics after sunset and watch very little TV (pretty much none after sunset).

I don't have a smartphone.

If I have lights on after sunset I use blueblockers.

I could probably get more sunlight but I usually get an average of 1 to 2 hrs a day.

I live in the Midwest US.

I only drink R/O water and have been for about 8 months.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

you need a pic..........stat

5. gottifire

gottifire New Member

Okay, seriously I see that most people have a real pic of themselves.

Hope this works

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  6. caroline

caroline Moderator

Are you an athlete??????
    are you overtraining?

7. gottifire

gottifire New Member

Great question, that pic is from a long time ago.

I used to do heavy lifting and HIIT type workouts 3 to 5 times per week.

But I haven't trained like that in over a year.

I'm lucky now if I do any kind of workout once per week - I just don't have the energy

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

Is that when you crashed?

9. gottifire

gottifire New Member

I guess so but I feel like I've been spiraling downward for about 4 or 5 years

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

so - maybe that was the tipping point?

you need to get electrons and then hang on to them.....

are you eating epi-paleo? are you eating oysters?

Dr. K. will tell you it is all about electrons, electrons, electrons ....

11. gottifire

gottifire New Member

I eat a good amount of seafood but I also eat carbs.
    I took a turn for the worse over a year ago when I started cutting back on the carbs and I wasn't even working out hard at the time.
    So I'm back to eating carbs and I seem to have made a little improvement

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

what kind of carbs? Have you tried R/S? Dr.K. did a webinar about that

13. gottifire

gottifire New Member

Caroline, I appreciate your interest.

A little fruit, some gluten free grains like quinoa (soaked to remove phytic acid) and every once in a while a sweet potato.

By R/S are you talking about resistant starches?

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

yes........

15. gottifire

gottifire New Member

I'm not familiar with it but I will read up

16. nicld

nicld Gold

Where in the Midwest do you live?

To me, it sounds like you had/have an adrenal crash. I had the same thing about 10 years ago and then I think I messed them up again in 2012 when I trained and ran a half marathon (at 200+ pounds). I just kept pushing and pushing my body and it finally crapped out and the hormones when haywire. Like you, I have not really done any workouts for almost 2 years except light gardening and mowing the lawn.

When I started off on this journey a year ago it would take me FOREVER to fall asleep then like you, only sleep till about 3:30 am while the DH fell asleep right away and was snoring all night :mad:. Now, I fall asleep fairly well and pretty much sleep through the night. Blueblockers and not eating after 7 and tons of CT have made a world of difference for me.

My cortisol numbers were good too but my Pg and pregnenalone and thyroid were crap.

Have you done stuff to figure out if your gut is healthy? Basically you cannot live without cortisol so all of the other hormones are being used to keep the cortisol up. I have had gut issues for about 10 years so it is like a stressor on my body and it's using up cortisol to deal with it. Because I am needing more cortisol all of the other hormones are tanked. Right now I am working on getting the gut better and it is starting to but it has not been a quick journey.

Good luck
    Nicole

17. gottifire

gottifire New Member

Nicole,

Thank you so much for responding.

My gut isn't what it used to be.

My stools have not been normal for the past year and my melatonin is quite low which would point to gut dysfunction.

Obviously the h.pylori is playing a role as well.

What do you mean that all the other hormones are being used to keep the cortisol up?

14.5 for a cortisol sum seems pretty low to me.

I normally have a snack around 8pm but I will try not eating after 7.

18. nicld

nicld Gold

What is the units of measure for cortisol? I had mine from ZRT labs at the ranges in ng/ml. My morning was 7.2 ng/ml and when I get the blood one done is it 8.6 and 9 mcg/dl. My curved looked good so I was not too out of wack but the body wants/needs to keep cortisol levels where they should be.

My guess it is your gut especially if you have h.pylori. Thankfully I do not have that but I have mycoplasma’s that are causing my issues. I used to have chronic C but now I am as regular as you can get. Pretty much the same time every day in the morning.

Check out Jacks Brain Gut series, it should help a lot.

I am also working with Dr. Tim Jackson on getting my gut back. Might check him out. He has an e-book out that showed how the hormones are tied together. I can take a look at it when I get home and let you know more.

Here is what ZRT included in my saliva cortisol testing.
    SnapCrab_NoName_2014-6-6_14-30-44_No-00.png

19. gottifire

gottifire New Member

Nicole,

I live in Missouri

I will check out Tim Jackson's ebook.

My cortisol ranges are in nM/L here are my numbers with the reference ranges:

Morning: 9.5* (13.0 - 24.0) nM/L
    Noon: 3.1* (5.0 - 8.0) nM/L
    Afternoon: 1.3* (4.0 - 7.0) nM/L
    Nighttime: 0.6* (1.0 - 3.0) nM/L
    Cortisol Sum: 14.4* (23.0 - 42.0)nM/L

The * indicates low and the numbers in parenthesis indicate the reference range

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  20. nicld

nicld Gold