1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Loosely vs Tightly Coupled Haplotype

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by kris90, Jan 10, 2017.

1. kris90

kris90 New Member

I have a few questions regarding loosely vs tightly coupled.

My understanding is that (correct me if I'm wrong) the Northern European haplotype have more loosely coupled mitochondria, so less ATP and more heat is generated. Equatorial African haplotype have more tightly coupled mitochondria, so more ATP and less heat generated.

For those of us living in the Northern Hemisphere (I'm in Ontario, Canada), our mitochondria will be more tightly coupled in summer, and more loosely coupled in winter? How does this impact energy requirements (I would assume we burn more calories in winter than summer)?

What confuses me is that using CT seems to burn a lot of calories to maintain core temperature, while simultaneously increasing Leptin sensitivity which lowers appetite. So if we live in winter, and CT daily, should we be eating more, or less calories? Or, does that depend on how much fat mass we have (i.e. if we are storing excess fat, we can eat less, because CT helps burn that fat to feed the body, and less food is required, and on the contrary, if we are lean, then we should eat a high calorie/high fat diet in winter)?

In my personal experience, I am finding that I am eating less in the winter (maybe 2000 cals) and that seems plenty for me (i.e. not hungry), but in the summer, I was probably eating closer to 2500-3000 cals. I am actually leaner in the summer than I am in the winter, mind you I CT consistently year round.

One thing I find is that I often feel cold in winter. I do feel warmer after a high fat meal, but between meals (fasting) I find I have goosebumps a lot and feel cold (I do drink a lot of ice water). Is this because I am relatively lean (i.e. 10% BF)? Do I need to eat more calories to stay warm? Sometimes I might eat a little more than usual, but my weight seems to be very stable whether I eat 2500 cals vs 2000 cals or less. I wouldn't mind dropping to 8% BF as I am in summer, but I don't want to eat less food, because I think that will be counterproductive to staying warm.

labellavita and Antonis like this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

3. kris90

kris90 New Member

15:57 - Now everybody in this room has a different efficiency of pumping protons out, and converting them to ATP. And we call that the coupling efficiency. So people that are very efficient at pumping protons out and converting them into ATP, they will require the minimum amount of calories for the maximal amount of ATP, and everytime you burn a calorie, you generate heat, so they will generate the minimum amount of heat for the maximum amount of work. On the other hand, an inefficient coupling system will require more calories to pump the same amount of protons and convert them to ATP. So now you will need to eat more calories for the same amount of ATP, but you've also burned more calories, so you generate more heat.

44:09 - Here in Africa if you want to reproduce and be a woman, you need to run away from lions. That means you have to be tightly coupled to have maximum ATP for calorie use. But up here the lions froze to death, so that's not a problem. Problem is you're gonna freeze to death. So how does that get solved? By accumulating mutations that decrease the coupling efficiency. Now that's making less efficient mitochondria so you'll eat more calories for the same amount of ATP, but generate more heat.

So it is true then, loosely coupled systems need more calories to support chemical energy (ATP) and thermal energy (heat). So technically, I should have a higher caloric requirement in winter than in summer.

Does a loosely coupled system correspond with living a more disconnected life (i.e. low quantum yield) and hence we need to consume more food to get electrons, whereas in summer time, high quantum yield allows us to harvest the sun's energy more easily, thus requiring less electrons from food? My mindset is validating this thought, however my experience seems counterintuitive: I eat more in summer, but am leaner than I am in winter.

aduncanrx and SlamSlask like this.
  4. Inger

Inger Silver

I am loosely coupled too for sure. If I eat too little in winter I feel cold too...and lots of fat and protein warms me up. I wonder if the sun makes us lose weight in summer? In winter a little fat layer might help stay warm. The eskimos was not skinny either. Just my thoughts..... so we add fat in fall and slowly lose it so in late winter-spring when sun shines stronger we start getting slimmer? This would be practical, at least ;)

labellavita likes this.
  5. Inger

Inger Silver

Maybe grounding more in winter will help not get too fat :)
    I do not get fat in winter really. Only if I eat crap drink too much wine late at night etc and get swollen but it goes away fast ;)

6. kris90

kris90 New Member

Yes, the sun must have something to do with it for sure. But ya, you're right, maybe the cold can help an "obese" person lose excess fat by burning it for heat, but for someone going into winter already quite lean (i.e. single digit BF %), maybe we accumulate a small layer of fat? That seemed to happen with me. Since mid November, I went strict keto, and since then it almost seems I have a slightly thicker layer of fat now than I did even in mid fall.

I feel like if I overeat on keto right now (winter), I won't gain any weight. But if I decide to do a long, extended fast, and eat only 1 meal (1/2 my normal caloric intake), I also won't lose any weight. Maybe my body is right where it wants to be and I have metabolic flexibility due to leptin sensitivity? Who knows.

7. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

Hey , I want to check my haplotype to see where my grandmother was 10,000 years ago. The laboratory asks me to give them information about which one I want them to check. Do you know which one I could tell them?

8. taiyang

taiyang New Member

Hi Antonis, you said:
    "Hey , I want to check my haplotype to see where my grandmother was 10,000 years ago. The laboratory asks me to give them information about which one I want them to check. Do you know which one I could tell them?"
    I found out my haplotype from testing of my saliva done by the company 23 and me. I didn't have to tell them anything. they told me. the lab asked you to tell the 'which one' you want to check? what do you mean?

Antonis likes this.
  9. taiyang

taiyang New Member

"But up here the lions froze to death, so that's not a problem. Problem is you're gonna freeze to death..."
    but the wolves didn't freeze to death in the north, and they're pretty fast. you have to be as fast as a caribou/reindeer to out run them. but, yeah, the cold would probably kill you first.

James Gerard likes this.
  10. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

Actually I need to tell them exactly what to check. And they need referral from Doctor

11. taiyang

taiyang New Member

did you go through the company 23 and me?

12. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

No. I live in Europe. I have no idea how to find them.

13. taiyang

taiyang New Member

23andme.com

Antonis likes this.
  14. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

Yeah I found it now. What am thinking is whether it will be a problem with customs and the won't allow it to send or not.

labellavita likes this.
  15. taiyang

taiyang New Member

I would email 23andme and ask if they have found any problems shipping the saliva kits in your country. if they say no, then you could take a chance and buy their kit. you need to spit in a tube they send you and send it back to them in a box with address label. you need to pay and give your mailing info online first. then they will send you the kit.

Antonis likes this.
  16. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

Thank you very much and sorry for being annoying..

taiyang likes this.
  17. shiran

shiran Curious

I contacted them the shipping is very expensive to our area.

Antonis likes this.
  18. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

Yes, your from Israel. Is expensive damn it, but it is worth it. In laboratories will be more expensive an they need too many information to do it.

19. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

Is it ok with your policy there? I mean if you send your saliva it won't be a problem right? I mean having the police checking or something?

20. shiran

shiran Curious

not that I know of... not here in Israel...

Antonis likes this.