1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

living close to an airport

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Verena1028, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Verena1028

Verena1028 New Member

Is staying in a house 25 km far to the next big Airport engouh distance?

2. Zeke

Zeke Platinum

nnEMF aside, I so no especially if the house in under an arrival - departure corridor

How many planes per hour do you hear fly overhead?

I wouldn't live within 30 miles of an airport

At the 30 miles the airplanes should be at 10,000 feet altitude

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I would make it 50 miles in a 5G world.

4. Verena1028

Verena1028 New Member

Thank you very much :)

5. Jeremy Fox

Jeremy Fox Gold

Jack, can you explain what 5G emissions are coming from airports to justify the 50 mile rule? Thanks!

Michalis likes this.
  6. kubaw

kubaw New Member

airport radar + many new 5g antennas (on top of 2g,3g etc) combined will create even more nnEMF so this is why radius is bigger.

7. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

I surmise Dr Kruse is wisely citing the 50 mile radius rule from major airports to include a generous margin of safety just in case.

I know a 50 mile buffer exclusion zone would impact hundreds of thousands, if not many millions, of residents/workers in USA alone. So in practical terms some of us will have to run the gauntlet and coexist with airport radar and navigation RF-MW radiation.

It behooves us then to buy, rent, or hire out a new-fangled meter that can measure those spooky new high-frequency ranges (including 5G networks) in use today and tomorrow. Ultimately, it is real world measurements that count in making decisions on where to live. If we don't like the numbers we need to move heaven and earth to get a safe distance away.

You have to understand a few things in evaluating nearby airport radar/navigation radiation exposure levels. Both terrain and vegetation as well as distance are factors in attenuation of power levels.

Hills and dales and surface obstructions like trees are termed lossy in radar technology lingo in that they disperse/reduce EMF emissions. Also, besides distance (inverse law) the curvature of earth helps because conventional radar can not dip and follow earth's roundness like a ground wave (this is radar horizon effect).

The radar horizon with an antenna height of 75 feet (23 m) over the ocean is 10-miles (16 km), and this can vary due to local conditions.

Famous EMF researcher Magda Havas has written an article on cancer mortality near Air Force bases:
    https://magdahavas.com/cancer-mortality-near-air-force-bases/

A far more immediate danger in my opinion is irradiation of aviation flight crews today. It is at alarming levels, and has jumped tremendously since introduction of Wi-Fi into metal tube airplane cabins.... it impacts the safety and longevity of not only pilots, etc. but also their passengers.

8. Jeremy Fox

Jeremy Fox Gold

Thanks for the long response and link. I am looking at a heavily wooded community 20 miles from a major airport. I measured RF electorsmog using a consumer grade meter, would would not deal adequately with centimeter and not at all with millimeter range exposure. But I think traditional airport radar is below centimeter length. The wooded community did seem lower than the non-wooded areas around and the center of the city.

9. ElectricUniverse

Good luck dodging the radar.

I assume you checked your locale for other sources of microwaves that would confound your measurements, like other people's wi-fi routers, cell phone base stations, powerful RF sources from police/fire stations, etc.

RF meters that have directional capabilities are worth their weight in gold in pinpointing RF sources.

10. ElectricUniverse

I should also add that radar antennas rotate their beam 360 degress (you have seen radar scopes with rotating beam in movies) so if you are measuring radar emissions you would likely see a spike (high reading) when antenna is facing your direction, followed by a deep drop in power reading until antenna swings around to face you again.

Jeremy Fox likes this.
  11. Jeremy Fox

Jeremy Fox Gold

Interesting. Should I be concerned only with major airports or does every small, general aviation airport count as well? Those small airports are in all directions in my metro area. Also, does all radar operate under say 8 GHz, which might be detectable by a consumer grade RF meter?

12. Jeremy Fox

Jeremy Fox Gold

Here is a link on radar that says a 1 gigawatt air traffic control radar has a power of 1 V/m at 170 km. I don't know what the recommended, safe level of radar EMF would be. This "170 km for 1 V/m" might explain Jack's 50 mile rule.

https://www.powerwatch.org.uk/rf/radar.asp

13. ElectricUniverse

Good grief, that sounds like really high exposure. 1 Volt/meter is equally to 1000 millivolts/meter, which according to Building Biology standards is of "Extreme Concern".

According to Wikipedia:

"In the US the primary radar operates at a frequency of 2.7 - 2.9 GHz in the S band with a peak radiated power of 25 kW and an average power of 2.1 kW. The secondary surveillance radar consists of a second rotating antenna, often mounted on the primary antenna, which interrogates the transponders of aircraft, which transmits a radio signal back containing the aircraft's identification, barometric altitude, and an emergency status code, which is displayed on the radar screen next to the return from the primary radar.[1] It operates at a frequency of 1.03 - 1.09 GHz in the L band with peak power of 160 - 1500 W."

Note that Wiki's citation of primary radar power is far less than the PowerWatch figure of 1 GW. I don't know what to make of that discrepancy.

Jeremy Fox likes this.
  14. Jeremy Fox

Jeremy Fox Gold

Wiki might be more reliable here. Good catch.