1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Liver - do you or don't you

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Lyndra, Mar 15, 2012.

1. wyldeman

wyldeman New Member

I soak mine for a bit in some So Delicious brand coconut milk, then pan fry it in CO. Sometimes with onions. It's pretty simple, but I love it. Grass fed beef is very popular locally, but luckily for me, the liver is not....so it's readily available and cheap.

2. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

3. Baba

Baba New Member

I don't know if you can get this in the US, but duck liver and rabbit liver are my favourites!

4. Caroline Cooper

Caroline Cooper New Member

Hi Lyndra,

I love liver and onions. The secret to cooking liver is to not overcook.
    Pate is better for people trying to get to like liver. Chicken liver is the mildest. Here are two recipes:

http://www.eatkamloops.org/liver-and-onions/

http://www.eatkamloops.org/perfect-pate/

I hope that helps some.

5. ginastarke

ginastarke New Member

Thanks! Just bought a whole lamb's liver - the thing is the size of a pot roast! Any ideas for the leftovers?

I keep hearing this from my parents, probably CW, but, "You shouldn't have liver too often - it's very bad for you!"

If it's grass fed, I assume the pollution isn't an issue, so is the high level of vitamin A possibly a risky thing? Since I'm not eating any plant sources of B vitamins, I was hoping I could eat it at least once a week for the B-12.

6. Caroline Cooper

Caroline Cooper New Member

What I do when we slaughter a hog or lamb is to cut the liver into about 1-2c pieces. (My husband and I will each have about a cup for each meal.) I then freeze the liver pieces in individual bags and put all the individual bags in one big bag. I usually double bag organ meat so they will stay fresh longer in the freezer.

We grow our own hogs and most of our cattle but get our lamb from a local rancher that does not treat her pasture with anything but manure. Yes, liver can be toxic if the rancher sprays his pasture. I would ask the rancher about his practices before buying an animal.

Eat your liver twice a week. You will not overdue the fat solvable vitamins and your urine will have a rich yellow color.

7. ginastarke

ginastarke New Member

This is more on the primal side, since it has a little dairy and nightshades, but once I got the lamb liver of the grill, it tasted a bit stronger than expected and I made "gyros" with it: I sliced up the liver with cucumbers, onions and as little as I could manage red pepper and tomatoes , and made tzatziki with Greek yogurt, lemon juice, fresh mint garlic, cucumbers and pepper, which I also used as little as possible, and served in in romaine leaves. It was terrific!

8. BeingVenus

BeingVenus New Member

I used to love liver but for some strange reason after pregnancy I just couldn't stomach it unless its in a pate. Since I'm too lazy to make

Pâté except for Jewish holidays I just make a frozen liver pills, which is supposedely how Sally Fallon gets her liver in every day. In fact, I just chopped up a 1.5lb lamb liver in to little baggies and put it in the freezer this morning.

"The best way to eat raw liver is to freeze it for 14 days to avoid any parasitic infection (unlikely but possible especially in those with impaired immune systems). When frozen, cut it into teaspoon sized pieces and put them into little coin bags. Keep them in your freezer and use one baggie at at time, chopping into little pills to swallow with a drink. The primary benefit of swallowing liver pills frozen, is you can’t taste it. I take my liver pills with raw milk for the extra nourishment and so I don’t burp up the taste."

9. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Well, I finally got the nerve and made liver & onions tonight. Used the lamb liver I bought a while back. It had been sliced very thin and cooked up (in bacon grease) in no time. It's not one of my favorites but I'll definitely have it again.

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions for preparation!

10. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Lyndra, you might want to try it with bacon as well. I cut bacon into small pieces and fry them. Then, you add the onions to brown.

Then, I make small think pieces of liver. Once that is done, mix it all together and eat.

11. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I will definitely use bacon next time, though I think that will truly drive our dog nuts. I have never seen her sit and beg for anything before, especially raw meat. She smelled the liver on the counter and she wanted it. I put a few pieces of leftover cooked liver in her bowl and she licked it clean and then went back a couple of times to look for more. Apparently, dogs are smarter than humans when it comes to liking liver :).

12. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

My dog needed coaxing to eat the liver..... and she was raw-fed from 8 weeks of age!! I still have to "garnish" kidneys for her or she'll turn up her nose.

She'll crunch through chicken/duck heads no complaints and fatty fish with head and tail and guts.

13. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

They're all different. One of my previous dogs absolutely loved asparagus - she'd be out there grazing in the asparagus bed anytime I didn't have a eye on her. This dog has zero interest in most veggies, especially raw.

14. Sorry to threadjack, buuuut -my backyard remodel is almost complete. Have big ol planting beds now. Lyndra - did you do asparagus here in CO? Any ideas on how to grow it?

15. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Yes, asparagus grows quite well but it needs good drainage, adequate water, and seems to attract weeds like bees to honey. It is planted in mid-spring, usually bare-root plants (so it's too late for this year). You'll be able to harvest a few spears the second year but not too many, otherwise you'll deplete the roots too much. For details on growing, see http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/gardennotes/719.html#asparagus. I used to volunteer as a master gardener, so ask me about plants :eek:.

16. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Colorado Master Gardener.... me, too!! :) Had we met before Factor X?

17. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Small world :). I don't know if we met. I got busy with other things and stopped around 2005 I think.

18. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Think that was before my time....