1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Lipids and Cortisol

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Ricardo, Jan 2, 2014.

1. caroline

caroline Moderator

I can't believe I have another question - so sorry.....Is there a book you would recommend that I can suggest to my friend?

I could promise not to ask you any questions tomorrow ......

The book you mentioned above - would that be good for her?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

Sure.

" Alzheimer's Disease: What If There Was a Cure ? " By Mary Newport MD. 2nd Edition. Available at Amazon. In addition, it can be downloaded as a kindle book.

I read the entire first edition. A very compelling story: a triumph of the human spirit. They say love finds a way.

The author is a neonatologist whose husband had severe symptoms of Alzheimer. After research, she gave her husband some coconut oil in his cereal one morning. After just 4 days "we knew our lives had changed".

Details of her husband's recovery are encouraging and inspiring.

She is a delight to read. There are scientific explanations and illustrations as well as a complete lipid strategy.

Caroline, your energy is noticeable. You must be making some good choices.

Be well,

R.R.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Thanks R.R. ....

Thanks for the book suggestion too....

L.R.

4. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

Ricky R. learns English.. from Lucy.

They met in Cuba in 1940.. the rest is all history. Lucy was a very smart lady.. she knew how to make people laugh about the commonplace.

Here she teaches Ricky how to pronounce English. I still laugh at her jokes so many years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g10jFL423ho

5. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

So to complete what I mentioned earlier..

As we age our brains are designed.. at this point in our evolution ...to begin to use alternate sources of fuel to a greater extent than when we are younger. It behooves us to choose the right fuel.

In addition, the human body is designed to switch to alternate sources of fuel after glucose stores become depleted.
    Alternate sources could also be aminos (by way of gluconeogenesis), lactate or fatty acids. I say fuggedaboudit: Go with a clean burning fuel and forget the metabolic byproducts and potential problems associated with other alternate fuel sources.

Ketones are far superior as an alternate energy source... by a country mile.

My best academic sucesses in University took place in the year that I went to the swimming pool for lunch instead of eating. So as we saw earlier, exercise potentially can provide as high a level of ketones as MCT. In addition, since I was depleting glucose from an hour of swimming with no compensation from carbs, I probably was becoming ketogenic. I believe for most of that year I was in a state of ketosis. My mind was sharp.. in a good place.

I wanted to understand and duplicate this sharpness and resistance to fatigue. However, it wasn't until the late 90's that I started to understand how ketones could be advantageous as a fuel source. I have been following the research ever since.

Y'know at the IVIG unit, I get to meet with people who have MS. What an insidious disease ! I guess we all have dreams.. one of mine is that we live in a world where information is coherent and readily available in order to address diseases with treatments that work.

I believe MS can be resolved or, at the very least, stabilized, with dietary intervention. And I believe the basis of such a dietary intervention would be ketones.

Well, I will be away "cocooning" to get some work done.

Lucy, be well, and keep on "doin it the way you're doin it ".

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

Ricky - I know, I know ...I promised no questions today. Do you have MS - if I may be so bold as to ask? BTW - feel free not to answer. Have you checked out Freesia's posts?

I could tell you i would go away but I find you far too interesting and knowledgeable so you are stuck with me ... so sorry!

Have fun cocooning - hopefully with some one you love....

I will try to be patient until you resurface .... too bad you have to work! :)

one thought .... my energy is on high - more of a mental/physical thing somehow - I guess I feel very buoyant and exuberant - not necessarily smarter unfortunately [I guess I should see if I float better in the ocean...lol]
    anyway - I have been having a lot more coconut oil and using it on my face/hair/body.......whaddayathink?

I am going to order more MCT oil

Be well Ricky .... you are a treasure......talk soon .....L.R.

Lahelada likes this.
  7. caroline

caroline Moderator

I have to tell you one more thing ..... and I can't even begin to tell you how much I hate this .... I saw the original "Lucy" episodes .... that sooooo hurts to say that! forgetthatyouheardthatplease!

I just read back thru all your posts to understand better ..... thanks for all your thoughts!

8. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Oh, Audrey, say it's not so!!

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

Sally - I am taking the 5th ..... so much data was lost yesterday .... WHY NOT THAT??????

I gotta learn to think before I post...like that is gonna happen......

I really try hard to think first - but then stuff just spills out of me ... Is there a medical cure for that? Maybe that could be an "Ask Jack"?

10. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

Hello Lucykins,

Howya been ?

Just been going through some data on ketones and came across something I wanted to take a minute to get out there. Dr. Mary Newport's husband Steve is apparently retaining his progress in overcoming Alzheimer's. She mentioned something that is important to know. Twice he missed his morning oil ( MCT + coconut oil ) due to fasting bloodwork or travel:

" He became “dazed and confused” with a full-blown tremor. He returned to normal shortly after receiving the oil. "
    Mary Newport MD

My "take" from that is once on a program of recovery for AD patients it is therefore important to respect the dosages and timing.

I also want to add a quick word about some feedback I got from friends starting to consume MCT and coconut oil in appreciable amounts. I hear about periods of "euphoria". Well considering the comments coming from AD patients such as "its like someone turned on the lights" and " I feel like I got my life back" its probably just a normal reaction to the enhanced fuel source (ketones). In that case, I suggest just staying grounded: even some light physical activity should help.
    The brain will soon get accustomed to the increased amounts of ketones. The euphoria is temporary, however, the increased mental clarity is usually experienced on an ongoing basis.

Be well,
    R.R.

PS The Optimal Reset 2014 is great ! Lots of useful information !

Lahelada likes this.
  11. caroline

caroline Moderator

Ricky - you need a photo or we can't talk ....:D JK has new rules apparently

so glad to see you back!

Thanks for that - I will check in with my friend to see how her DH is doing.

How are you?

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

Lucykins???? what are you drinking? Maybe I better look for a new pic........

13. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

Caroline,

I take it that it should therefore be a photo of "moi" and not Ricky Ricardo ? Too bad, I have some great pics of R. Ricardo and Lucy, of course.

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

Ricky - how are you going with EE12? I would think that would be important for you?

The optimal reset has been great .... have you listened to the webinars?

if you have - you will have heard that I am "slow"!

I suppose - a lot like Lucy appeared to be slow??? I can only hope anyway....

did you get all your work done? so you can educate us some more? I keep directing newbies here ......

I think - just for fun - you could post a pic of Ricky ....and lucy too! I don't think the photo police are checking...
    I am looking for a pic of Audrey Hepburn - that is who I really am....

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

I was worried that you had gone into a cave and locked the door and thrown away the key! or, at the very least hibernating for the rest of the winter!

I had forgotten - I have a cousin in Montreal who was an interpreter ....

16. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Just wanted to say thanks to you Lucy and Ricardo for such an entertaining yet informati ve and interesting post. Lucy don't hide your light under a bushel .Your contribution to the forum is greater than you realise.

17. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

Oh you look so healthy ! Is the life in Australia doing your health good ? Lots of ( pollution-free) fresh air and good food sources ? It looks like you've been getting some sun. I heard the weather has been mild in Australia these days.

I listened to one and recorded another to listen to this week. I will have heard that you are slow ?

I wasn't hibernating. lol ....I'm too peppy to sleep all winter. lol. ...I think its called "cocooning".

This looks like a new and improved forum.

Be well,

PS I'll post a nice pic of Ricky and Lucy. Thank you.

PPS I just want to add a word about what you said concerning the use of coconut oil on your arms. You know, so far, we found that it works to increase ketones, because, when stopped, symptoms return. Then after starting again with coconut oil applied to the skin the symptoms are alleviated. This seems to be a good solution for people who have a problem with ingesting coconut oil.

R.R.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  18. caroline

caroline Moderator

yeah - well ...... since I can't really talk about science - can I .......
    Thankyou tho! hide my lite under a bushel???? Somedays I never shut up ....just ask Ricky ...I worry that I drive him crazy ....but that is always what Lucy did best..... :D

19. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

Dear Lahelada,

So glad to hear that ! Thank you for mentioning it.

Lucy,

I can feel my scalp tingling.. maybe this shampoo is gonna work...

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

I haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face since the day we arrived!!! We have had great weather - but today is quite cool and overcast and windy - so I may drive all of you crazy all day..... sorry in advance!

Dr. K. has said tho that our water sucks and magnetism is low and then, of course, there is the donut hole! Holey moley!

Does Quebec fare any better in the scheme of things? Ricky - do you C/T? I can't remember .......I know, I know - I hang on every word you say ....but you have been gone a looooonnnnnng time Ricky - I was worried that you had found another Lucy!