1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Lipids and Cortisol

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Ricardo, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

After about two years of low carbs it became clear to me that I had become 100% adapted to using fats as fuel. I could have a couple of Tablespoons of Olive Oil in the morning, walk for 4 miles, have a heavy workout at the gym at 11 AM and then eat lunch. I did not experience hunger until noon.

Fat was fueling my energy expenditure and I could work out as heavy as I wanted to without any undue fatigue. It initially took about two years for my system to adapt to fat as my main fuel. I will never go back to carbs as my main fuel. Its not even close to the energy and mental clarity I get from fat as fuel.

I began to experiment with different fats.

For instance, first thing in the morning: I found that if I took 2 Tbsp of MCT oil I seemed too hyper. Its as if I was making too much cortisol. I had trouble focusing mentally.

Olive oil, on the other hand provided a much steadier form of energy. As my cortisol is highest in the morning, I don't want to make it any higher. MCT seemed to do that. I seemed to be running "too hot" with MCT as my sole source of energy at that time of day.

Coconut oil seems to make me less hyper than MCT does: even if taken first thing in the morning. I consume a lot of coconut oil with food since reading about Dr Kruse's Epi-Paleo diet.

I take MCT only after eating at least one meal. Its great fuel, but maybe a bit "over" first thing in the morning.

My question is.. is there a connection between lipids and cortisol ?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. Jonathin

Jonathin Gold Member

Could you redefine your question?

Jack has said that dis-regulation of cortisol is a brain and receptor issue. What supplies energy to those cells and how well do those mitochondria work and with which fuels? Seems like you have figured that out.

3. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

Hello Jonathin,

I believe that fats can raise cortisol levels: especially if they are the sole or main source of fuel for a period of time.

I also think that the type of fat may determine how much cortisol is affected.

My experience is that olive oil is somewhat neutral in terms of its effect on cortisol. Whereas MCT oil seems to raise cortisol levels.

This is all hypothetical based on how my organism reacts to fats.

So to rephrase: do various fat configurations affect cortisol in ways that are measurable ?

PS: I don't limit my breakfast to 2 Tbsp of Olive oil since following ( as much as my current knowledge permits) Dr Kruse's Epi-Paleo diet.

My exercise-induced inflammation has been reduced considerably since I have been following concepts put forth by Dr Kruse. In addition, I recover much faster and can workout more often.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  4. caroline

caroline Moderator

I have no idea about the answer to your question - but I was wondering .... are you using regular MCT oil or the newer one that Dave Asprey is selling? I think it is called Brain Octane ......

Do you use GF butter? if so - what do you notice?

I have been using a lot of butter lately and am noticing more fat on my body ...

5. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

Hey Caroline,

I don't use much butter. I went for years w/o it while I was following Dr Budwig's concepts on lipid selection and absorption. She got excellent results with some very sick patients by combining cold pressed flax oil with a sulpher protein ( cottage cheese).

Here is something interesting: she used to get the nurses to roll the patients beds outside during the day. At the end of the afternoon the patients beds were rolled back into the dorms: subdued light until lights out at the same time every day. Does this sound like a circadian reset ? Her motivation as she stated it in one of her letters was so that they would be exposed to sunlight and fresh air.

Attacked by the establishment, nevertheless she persevered and as she peered into her microscope she observed how green sick damaged cells had become round and healthy. She went to court to face her opponents. The judge ruled in her favor. Going against the established mainstream is never easy.

I am using another brand of MCT although I am sure Dave's is quite fine.

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

I meant his new one .... High Octane brain fuel It is a step up from MCT

That is a most fascinating story Ricardo .... can you tell us more...... How did you happen onto Dr. Budwig's concepts?

Dr. K. always says that none of this is new ..... he is just shining his flashlight!

7. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

I'll put Dave's High Octane on my list of products to try. MCT's are vastly important to me: I have high inflammatory markers. Dr Kruse's approach to reduce inflammation is the best I have seen, btw.

One of my close family members had leukemia and I was looking for a natural alternative to chemo (which was massively destructive back in those days). I found her writings and heard that she had been nominated for a Nobel Prize 6 times. She was a talented biochemist in addition to being a medical doctor. Many of her patients were deemed incurable and, despite this, she restored their health.

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

With high inflammation ... You are C/Ting your butt off?

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

Ricardo - does your relative use the anti cancer brew? Do you drink it every day?

10. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

I make it often. My best friend is a 4th stage cancer survivor and he takes 2 cups a day and has been doing so since Dr Beliveau published some of his findings in a book.

One of our acquaintances just underwent surgery for uterine cancer. It was a late diagnosis: her cancer spread to the lymph system and so she is battling metastasis and is undergoing chemo. She is taking it daily with hopes that it will help.

Here in Quebec a lot of people take it because Dr Beliveau is considered a local hero and people follow his work. He had a weekly TV program called Kampai in which he teamed up with a popular chef and they did healthy recipes.

That show was very unique because he would explain in layman's terms what he was trying to do about such diseases as brain tumors. He helped people understand how biological delivery systems and targeted treatments work. It was a very informative and entertaining show: in addition, each show explored new healthy recipes you could try at home.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  11. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

Caroline,

I'm definitely planning to do some CT.

I'm reading up on Dr Kruse's blog sections relative to CT. Its on the agenda.

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

Ricardo - can you tell me more about your feelings on butter please? I am going to stop having butter for awhlle and see how I go. I was a lot less hungry yesterday - maybe just a coincidence but I don't think so. I am feeling really pudgy and I don't like that one bit!

You prefer MCT oil to coconut oil it seems .... why? just more concentrated?

Have you had labs done recently? It would be interesting to see what your hsCRP is before starting C/T ... and then after

What kind of green tea are you using? as with everything these days - it is a minefield buying anything! I think you said sencha earlier - but there is many different kinds I think.....

13. cinnamon

cinnamon Gold

I'm not exactly sure why, but I do better on coconut oil in the summer and butter in the winter.

Now that is darkest coldest winter here (windchill was minus 30 C this morning) I'm not using very much coconut oil at all, and I'm finding that I adore butter! :D

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Cinnamon! I think I got to adore butter too much and now I am feeling like a butterball! Dr. K. has said coconut oil in the summer - I forgot about that!
    When are you going to tell me where you live???

15. cinnamon

cinnamon Gold

LOL - I thought I already had! I'm maybe about 10 km east of Sunnyside...

16. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

Caroline,

I never really got into eating butter since Dr Budwig preferred other fats such as coconut oil and cold pressed flax oil. If you were sick she would not allow you butter until you got well and even then... She apparently felt there were better choices. She based her decisions on criteria such as which lipids slow or halt the progression of cancerous lesions etc. It might be ok to eat it if you are well. I prefer not to consume it.

Yes, I prefer MCT oil because it generates a better supply of ketones than does coconut oil. Something to keep in mind: coconut oil will generate ketones for 8 hours whereas MCT oil will generate ketones for 4 hours.

Despite what my mind tells me, my body seems to prefer coconut oil. I think that's because I now metabolize fats a lot faster and MCT is already high octane. I don't want to run too "hot". I am looking for homeostasis. Coconut oil is slower to digest and therefore it seems less thermogenic to me.

For Alzheimer's patients, apparently, a ratio of 4:3 coconut oil to MCT may be a good mix. One company is already producing a mix with those proportions as suggested by Dr Mary Newport MD.

Green tea: I know its a minefield to buy anything. So true. Dr Beliveau has charted the ECGC content of various teas. I prefer to consult his chart before I answer that for you. I will be able to find that out for you sometime in the next month. I prefer to give you a science based answer rather than a marketing based one.

Labs: The Neurologists treating my auto-immune issue schedule me for bloods about every 6 months. I'll wait till after the next one so we can get a "before" and "after" comparison of inflammation markers.

Whats the weather like in Australia this time of year ?

------------------
    Cinnamon,

Its minus 30 here too. ( Quebec province). I eat lamb in the winter only. It heats the body more than beef or horsemeat. This is "lamb" weather.

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

Ricardo - you are a wealth of information..... have you thought of starting a journal?

I don't quite understand what you said about coconut oil vs. MCT oil and ketones .... I thought we would want to burn ketones longer?

We are having beautiful sunny weather - around 24C right now I think... Apparently we have had the warmest winter on record.

What do your Docs think about C/T?

Do you follow Freesia's comments? She has done amazing things for her health.

18. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

Caroline,

24C.... Beautiful weather !
    Its extreme cold here... lucky you in Australia !

I don't think I will have time to keep up a journal, sorry, maybe next year.

I told one of the patients who gets IV at the same hospital as I do about Dr Kruse and his kindle book. We will be comparing notes at my next treatment this month.

I am treated at a University affiliated hospital and the neuros sometimes bring along resident docs and students so I don't want to discuss my research with them in case it doesn't fit with their curriculum. I do discuss it with other patients because we are trying to understand what is going on in our bodies and how its started.

Unfortunately, many neurological conditions are not fully understood. Often how they start in the body is a matter of hypothesis at this point. My immune system is confused and attacks itself. The hypothesis is that it could have been originated by a bacteria or virus.. no one knows for sure.

The good news is that I do much better if my inflammation markers are low. And Dr Kruse has a lot of great infos about how to reduce inflammation. His blog is like manna in the desert for me.

Does Freesia have a journal? Where are her comments ?
    Looking forward to reading her comments,

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

No - Freesia doesn't have a journal ... I was just asking her to. She has ME and has done remarkable things for herself.
    read her reply to me in the Aussie donut hole thread.

If you could start a journal ... the most important thing is it gives Dr.K. context. He has said recently... it is like going to a mechanic/garage and asking about your car - but leaving the car at home!

You certainly don't have to keep it up - just when you have time and want to. It helps everyone. You have such a wealth of knowledge to share.

It sounds like your learning curve is huge .....

20. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

Caroline,

Re Journal: I certainly find the idea of putting up information that could helpful appealing.

Is there a section that is meant for such journaling ?

If it can be helpful then I'm on board !

Once again, thank you for the kind words,