1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Lipid Panel Question

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by JeffieJoe, Mar 16, 2012.

1. JeffieJoe

JeffieJoe New Member

I don't have perfect health... that's what I'm here for :) I've been eating paleo for a couple of years and recently started the LR and have been doing CT for a couple of weeks. Little more background, I completed a round of HCG in January and in the middle of Dec I had labs drawn. My Dr. had requested new labs because 6 months prior my cholesterol was too high for her liking. She told me the same 'ol Western Medicine advice: eat low fat and reduce my calories and exercise. So, my diet a couple weeks prior to the draw was zero fat and very low carb. However, my labs were worse then they were 6 months earlier. Here's where I'd like some advice as I'm not too concerned with cholesterol, however, I do have a lot of heart disease in my family and don't want to completely ignore the figures either.

Cholesterol Total: 266

Triglycerides: 76

HDL: 87

VLDL: 15

LDL: 164

C-Reactive: .74

Little more history. 1 1/2 years ago I was diagnosed with adrenal fatigue as my cortisol numbers are very low. They are coming back and I'm hoping with CT I'll be able to heal them completely. However, currently if I don't take my supplements I can barely make it through the day. I do know that your body will make extra cholesterol to try to compensate for the low cortisol.

Any thoughts??? I have to return to the Dr next week and am preparing myself for her to chew me out for not dieting and exercising enough. Oh, BTW... I'm 5'2" weigh 138 and have more muscle than most women.

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Your cholesterol isnt' bad at all... your HDL is great, your LDL is fine... I'd worry about your trigs... my first question would be - were the LDL's a direct measure or calculated? that coupled w/your HDL and your trigs - can skew it... your CRP - was it a hs CRP? you really want to get your hsCRP as low as posible

most likely since you've got cortisol issues - you've got pregnenolone steal occurring - your cortisol problems - tell your liver to make more ldl - so it can convert it to pregnenolone and then use it to convert to the sex hormones - but b/c you've got cortisol issues - the pregnenolone is being shunted to support cortisol production. this in turn will turn off your hypothamlus -pituary and thyroid off - basically you're body is just idling and can't get in gear. its functioning just enough thats it.

I'd ask for a full sex hormone panel (Pregnenolone, alderstone, testosterone, progesterone, hs Estridol, total estrogens, prolactin, free T3, Reverse T3, Thyroid antibodies (both TPO and AB), DHEA-S, IGF-1, homocysteine, hs CRP, fasting blood glucose and fasting insulin

then you can begin to see the full picture.

the following link on MDA is Griff's Cholesterol primer - read it and figure out what your ratios are - that's a better indicator of what's going on...http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html

additionally - you can always ask for a CIMT - which is a scan of the carotid arteries - which will tell you if you have any thickening, plaque etc - and is a better indicator of potential heart issues.

fwiw - a history of FHC (Familial hyper-cholesterol ) while it scares the crap out of CW - in the hands of a doc knowledgeable about lipids - will just go ok - you're mom/dad/brother/sister/aunt/grandfather etc have FHC - and no cardiac events - ok... no biggie, and then they'll just monitor you closely... one things you want to do is avoid statins - they aren't beneficial to women at all... and recent research is showing they can degrade the health of women....

3. JeffieJoe

JeffieJoe New Member

I really appreciate your insight. I read Griff's information a couple of months ago... great stuff! And, yes, when I use the Iranian formula my overall score is much better.

I do have a couple of questions though. You said you would be more concerned about triglycerides. Are you suggesting that mine are too high, or that is where I should focus my concern. I thought a score under a 100 for triglycerides was good??

Also, I will get a copy of my latest hormone panel. If there is a pregnenolone steal how does one go about fixing that, or will CT eventually right everything? I didn't mention that I currently take bio-identical progesterone on days 14-28.

Thanks so much for all you help!

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

If I remember correctly DR K likes to Trigs below 60

Pregnenolone steal - needs to focus on fixing the adrenals, and the use of the hormones... CT will work...but there are other ways... post what labs you've got and we'll get some more ppl to hack them...