1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

LilRedDgirl's Help Me! Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by lilreddgirl, Sep 17, 2015.

1. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Here are my Lipid Labs on September 2015 and now January 2016. Is the new higher LDL a concern or a good thing?

September 2015 Labs.jpg

and

January 2016 Labs.jpg

2. Jonathin

Jonathin Gold Member

Looks good to me. HDL and triglycerides are right in line. LDL is protective in this context.

lilreddgirl likes this.
  3. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

I think I may be extending my use of Solar Glo too late in the day, and tricking my SCN into thinking UVB's are present until late (close to sunset). Therefore I start my waking process in the morning earlier than I usually would in this season.

I will consider limiting Solar Glow use to max 3 pm and check for changes.

4. Jenny S

Jenny S Gold

Hi lilreddgirl, Been following your posts for a while & know you've been looking into all sorts of lights - fairly confusing isn't it..
    Do you think full spectrum lights are good for inside morning & afternoon when very overcast & rainy or better with red & black?
    Thanks Jenny

lilreddgirl likes this.
  5. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

My guess is that red and black would be better just because you are limiting blue, which we are all toxic with. But you also need to see. Full spectrum is definitely better than standard lights. I don't think Jack likes the artificial lights at all.

Jenny S likes this.
  6. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

I think full spectrum - if Solar Glo counts as full spectrum - is Definitely better for me when overcast outside. Not early morning though, it has UVB so after 10AM seems to feel better. When it's turned on I feel my mood boost a lot after about 10 minutes, it's similar to having a sunny environment. It also helps me see! and, unless I'm sitting close to it, get things done (kinda relaxes me when it's close, possibly the IR effect).

Blacklights plus red (I have amber) give much more of a sleepy feeling for me. In fact the amber itself does that for me at anytime during the day or evening. I use these as evening light.

jwhb77, Jenny S and Cpt.Tired like this.
  7. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Hunter-Gatherers Don't Get More Sleep Than We Do, Study Finds
    Updated October 18, 20154:45 PM ETPublished October 15, 20154:27 PM ET
    [​IMG]
    NELL GREENFIELDBOYCE

Listen to the Story
    All Things Considered

2:48
    A new study shows people living in hunter-gatherer societies don't get any more sleep than people in the more modern world, despite living without TVs, computers, cell phones and other electronic distractions.

KELLY MCEVERS, HOST:

So we've heard about the paleo diet. Now let's talk about paleo sleep. The idea is that all of our modern devices are hurting our ability to sleep. But did people really sleep any better without these devices? NPR's Nell Greenfieldboyce reports on what scientists found when they asked that question.

NELL GREENFIELDBOYCE, BYLINE: Jerry Siegel studies sleep at the University of California, Los Angeles. He and his colleagues recently decided to look at how people sleep in three pre-industrial societies. The Tsimane of Bolivia, the San of Namibia and the Hadza of Tanzania.

JERRY SIEGEL: We wanted to know if the sleep amount and the sleep pattern selected by a million years of evolution has been disrupted by modern life.

GREENFIELDBOYCE: He says this is as close as you're going to get to seeing how our ancient ancestors slept.

SIEGEL: The Hadza are maybe the purest hunter-gatherer group in the world. They have no food storage. Every day they get up and they hunt or they gather berries or fruit.

GREENFIELDBOYCE: You might think that no electric lights means that sunset is bedtime, but no. In the journal Current Biology, the researchers say people stayed up for hours after the sun went down and an average night's sleep was less than seven hours.

SIEGEL: If you compare the sleep duration to similar studies done on normal individuals in our society, the amounts we saw in all three groups were at the low end. So they don't sleep more than we do.

GREENFIELDBOYCE: Siegel says people in these traditional communities rarely nap, they generally don't wake up in the middle of the night, but they do sleep more in winter. And it turns out that, throughout the year, what really seems to affect sleep patterns is not light but temperature.

SIEGEL: So sleep is occurring during the night while temperature is falling, and awakening occurs when the temperature hits its minimum, which is usually before sunrise but sometimes after sunrise.

GREENFIELDBOYCE: This has some interesting implications. Siegel says it looks that we evolved to sleep along with this natural cycle of falling and rising temperatures. But if you live in a heated house, that cycle is probably gone.

SIEGEL: The loss of this strong stimulus may be as disruptive to our natural sleep as anything to do with electric lights.

GREENFIELDBOYCE: Now he wants to see whether temperature changes could be used to help people with insomnia. Nell Greenfieldboyce, NPR News.

(SOUNDBITE OF SONG, "I'M ONLY SLEEPING")

THE BEATLES: (Singing) Lying there and staring at the ceiling, waiting for a sleepy feeling.

Copyright © 2015 NPR. All rights reserved. Visit our website terms of use and permissions pages at www.npr.org for further information.

http://www.npr.org/2015/10/15/448980963/hunter-gatherers-dont-get-more-sleep-than-we-do-study-finds

8. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Solar Glo is full spectrum. I have one as well and it definitely has a mood/energy boosting effect..more so than the black and IR lights.
    Be careful moving them around. I've had one burn out already.
    They're expensive:eek:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  9. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Campfire light means "party time!!!":):):)

lilreddgirl likes this.
  10. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Exactly what I was thinking :) I was researching to find when it might be circadianly ok to go out dancing at night :)

So far near the full moon seems a candidate, at least once a season...

11. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

I love that "extremely tired, but in a healthy way" feeling. I used to get that when I would go hiking with friends. I think it is related to increased dopamine because I would get the same feeling when I'd take a stimulant in the AM then lay down (on days off). I would feel extremely relaxed and fall asleep but refreshed at the same time.

12. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

"Recent reports in Lancet, a respected British medical journal, made a connection between gallstones and fair-skinned people who suntan. In general, people who enjoy sunbathing have twice the risk of gallstones; fair-skinned people who sunbathe arc at twenty times more risk than non-sunbathers of developing gallstones. This research is in its preliminary stages, but it could be significant for fair-skinned sun lovers." http://ashcenter.com/conditions/gallbladder-disease/

thinking up reasons why this might be...

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  13. jwhb77

jwhb77 New Member

Interesting... I wonder how these hunter-gatherers' sleep quality compares to the avg, mostly-sedentary, blue light-fried Westerner in contemporary society... my bet is that, on avg, ours pales in comparison to the theirs, & that 'hours slept' alone isn't an adequate metric for comparing 'optimal'. Too many other confounding variables involved b/w the two populations here to conclude that attention to PM light exposure is less important than PM ambient & body temps (e.g. different daytime activity levels, which are very pertinent to sleep quality, among many other differences). Still, this observation about nighttime temps seems to align with Dr. K's thinking on the importance of our ancestors' ability to hibernate in cold temps at key points in human evolutionary history. Thanks for sharing =)

lilreddgirl and Cpt.Tired like this.
  14. Inger

Inger Silver

Maybe because they use a lot of sunscreen? ;)

Cpt.Tired and lilreddgirl like this.
  15. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Oh I hadn't thought of that! I don't know if sunscreen would specifically cause gallstones, but it might be...

I've been thinking it could be a lack of Vitamin K2... they would be getting lots of Vit D and absorbing calcium, but without adequate K2 it might be creating calcified gallstones

16. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Hacks that I didn't like:
    • So the MB I only tried once - at low dose 60mcg - and felt pretty awful... but then turned to a pleasantly relaxed feeling after using Sperti D lamp + IR 250watt bulb 1 hour later ( a sensation that was not experienced the subsequent two times using Sperti and IR without MB). Not retrying MB anytime soon.

• 1MG nicotine gum seems to induce temporary deafness and brightness of light with feeling that I'm going to faint pretty regularly upon use. Have fainted and experienced similar symptoms in past - during dehydrated very hot summer day when using smoked nicotine. Noticing increased tension, but not any benefits from nicotine. Stopped hacking.
    Hacks I'm liking:
    • Using a high GLA - this is an Omega 6!!!! - topical oil - organic Borage seed oil - has reduced pain and inflammation completely. Does not completely reduce tightness but did eliminate - yes eliminate! - pain accompanying tightness. Also great mood and libido boost. GLA is said to boost Prostoglandin E1 which is anti-inflammtory, the other anti-inflmmatory one is Prostoglandin E3 which is a fish/DHA related.

• Using Chanca Piedra herb to assist liver and break up any possible calcified stones has brought great reduction in body tightness and much better energy. Does seem to counter some of the libido and euphoria of the Borage seed oil though - better liver excretion of hormones? Also a uterine relaxant at high doses so here may be the counter to the Progesterone boost of the GLA.

FEELING SO MUCH BETTER!

Have decided to eat a bunch of olive oil/avocado oil along with my smoked salmon and seafood, and may help me gain fat on body which is something I would like. (I am not underweight, I just like the curvy look).

Have added in carbs as fruit preserves since here it's WARM SPRING and plenty of sun past few weeks. No desire for carbs on overcast days.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    TerrierMom likes this.
  17. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

• Don't feel like using Solar Glo or even IR light, something about the sweat after those feels a bit weird hormone wise not like fresh sunlight. Also Solar Glo seems to increase my tension while using. Will hack Sperti more later, small pause for a specific reason right now.

• Am still enjoying blacklights however, especially combined with amber or candlelight in evening. Noticing blacklights plus candle light WITHOUT blueblockers feels very calming and introspective compared to blueblockers worn in fairly dark environments. Will still use blueblockers for computer/movie/bright light situations, just not in low light environments.

• Little therapeutic RED light at 660nm definitely works overnight to fill in wrinkles on side of eye!!!

Cpt.Tired, jwhb77 and Lahelada like this.
  18. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I like the wrinkle unwrinkle bit . I had stopped using the red light overnight but may start again. I found a pic of me from before I started this darn job that I recently ditched and I looked years younger. Dang !

19. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Oops I didn't mean I keep it on it overnight! I actually just applied right next to my skin - actually touching my skin - for about 5 min to each side of the eye, (I tried inner eye next to the nose and that worked really well too) and the next day there was already significant improvement.

I think I probably have really great redox in most tissues though.

20. Calum

Calum New Member

I plan getting out in the garden with fires most night. Need to get my dad in the routine!

Cpt.Tired likes this.