1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Light box therapy experiences?

Discussion in 'Heal Your Hormones' started by Cpt.Tired, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

I'm considering using a light box in the AM before work since the sun is blocked by trees where I live.
    I have your typical 'adrenal fatigue' symptoms - very hard to get going in the morning and hard to wind down at night. Anybody had any experiences with them? recommendations?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Many of the light boxes use blue light which I'm a little hesitant about. I would think that the ideal light box would be one that varies gradually from a reddish spectrum towards- but not actually reaching- a bluish light spectrum..mimicking the rising sun as close as possible.
    Jack says that cortisol levels are more effected by the change in light rather than the intensity of it.
    I don't think such a box exists but maybe I'm wrong (?)

3. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

I don't know of one, but speaking as someone who has a SAD light, (multi, not just blue light), 3 bioptron light therapy units (one large and 2 handheld ones), an infra red and red light and a uv facial tanner, (as well as my own old experimental devices using pre LED stage light filters,gems and goodness knows what else....) :p I think one of the problems with light boxes is that they can provide temporary relief but aren't versatile enough long term. I might "feel" better after a session with artificial light therapy but my n=1 is its not on my long term road to optimal, because they don't take into account what else is up for grabs from the real thing. It's tempting to use if its dismal, but I've found that time outside even in the gloom of winter is more beneficial than using an artificial light box. If I get natural sunlight, however dismal, I am getting information about the earth's movement on its axis, and its progress around the sun etc. The sun's spectrum of frequencies are different every day of the year, so whatever combination of artificial light sources I use, they are a mismatch, (but I sometimes use them rather than not get the frequencies at all, usually related to work commitments or because of weather conditions I don't feel safe in). With natural sunlight the changing UV and different frequencies give different seasonal information, which in turn signals changes in physiology. Going barefoot adds to the environmental information gathering. I think scanning the sky helps set the GPS in my head ...etc etc and its free .:). I find the experience as a whole is more cortisol friendly than any light box can offer me. :cool:

Martin and Cpt.Tired like this.
  4. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

^^^what Sue said.....very wise. Using light boxes is like taking a stimulant and thinking you have made good energy. You may feel better, but it is a crap shoot as far as what you have really done to your signalling internally. There was a thread here talking about trying to calibrate light boxes to your latitude or create a different latitude through light...have you had a chance to read it?

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  5. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

No I haven't read that thread. The other thing is the winter time up here in Vancouver. It's always dark when I get up and most of the time it is cloudy and dark. Is that still better than a light box? The mornings for me is when I really need the energy. Whenever I get a chance I look up towards the sun, especially in the AM, to get that information that Sue was talking about

6. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

I am now in summer (evidenced by torrential rain ......:rolleyes:) and its now I would use a light box if necessary - in the season bright light is naturally available, but sometimes I cant access it.

Because the uk experiences definite seasons, my battery needs to operate differently at different times (Ubi 8, the mammalian battery). I decided that low winter levels here should still switch off melatonin and set the photoperiod, but it wasn't the time for trying to use a device hoping it would provide energy to my battery. It is too poor a substitute, and would confuse signalling. It was more about natural light setting the photoperiod, DHA, water and grounding and CT, with any natural winter sunshine gratefully received ....:D But a blue light box in winter? Nah - that would be like flipping to the equator and back in an hour ....a blue light carb fest ...... Might be nice for a while but it could jet lag my mitochondria .....:confused: :)

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  7. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

A blue light box sounds like it would be a definite circadian mismatch. How about incandescent light? Feels more 'natural'.
    Since I have no light box, this morning I just used my incandescent lamp and computer screen. I also used an incand. light at my workstation for quite a while in the morning.
    I noticed quite an improvement in my morning energy level today since my ASI is flatlined!(well..my last test anyway. That was in the fall. I'm sure it's better since I have more energy now):)

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The source of the light is key, a box is never as good as AM sunlight and if you fail to get it chronically what happens in cells Dr. Van Wijk?....
    More light is released from cells in pseudohypoxic states...................excessive ELF-UV light released from cells results from fluorescent light has an adverse effect on human tissues exposed to peroxides. You do know that TPO antibodies are found in Hashi's right? What does TPO stand for? Do people outside the tropics spend more time inside or out? How strong is the UV map outside the tropics?

Any other autoimmune diseases associated with latitude issues and low vitamin D status?

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

incandescent lights are not full spectrum lights.........either. What problems might they cause surfaces?

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

With time it will be proven surface chemistry of the skin and gut is more important than biochemistry for humans.

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

incandescent lights do not radiate sharp energy peaks but they DO NOT have a complete visible spectrum. this does not apply to the bulbs made with neodmium filaments which should never be used. They have no yellow color in them

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

13. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

MS....my wife's illness.
    She never eats fish and she watches TV on beautiful sunny days. We live in Vancouver,B.C.
    She won't listen to me either..well..she does a bit.

Her frontal lobe is de-evolving because she will argue why it's okay to not rinse her dishes off and leave them for me to clean :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    At least she is okay with the Magnetico

14. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Wow..so much to learn! It's exciting actually..

15. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

You can never replace AM sunlight....

16. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

..'blue light carb fest'..lol!..I like that.:D

17. thomas

thomas Sun Worshipper

Agreed with Jack. Using fake lights is the same as using drugs in a way. Now making a lamp that replicate sunlight, that seems difficult, especially considering that the atmosphere changes the spectrum depending on time of the day so it's not totally constant. Fortunately there's an easier solution, it's called going outdoors. I did that last winter, go outdoors for a couple hours at noon, result no sad the days I am outdoors..

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  18. Peertje80

Peertje80 New Member

In winter I only see natural light in the weekends. I go to work when dark and come home when dark. Which is actually quite sad come to think of it. It is with horror I watch the days already shorten. I have to find a way to get some light in the short days. Too bad there is no good fake sun light (yet). Reading this I will toss my idea of buying a light box in the bin. Going out is not always an easy solution. We don't see sun for several days when the weather is mucky. But it is of course the only option.

Maybe if I structure my working hours differently, I can go out for an hour while the light is on. What time would give me the most for my buck? Would 10AM be good in winter during winter time/standard time? Or should it be later or sooner?

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

you need natural light every AM. Everyone who did a consult with me years ago heard the same message. How light interacts with your eye , skin, and gut is the key to optimal.

Alex97232, Danco3636 and Cpt.Tired like this.
  20. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

I'm in the same boat. Our latitudes are almost identical (Netherlands - British Columbia).
    In the winter it's dark on the way to work and dark on the way home. And very rarely sunny during the daytime.

Remember 'Grunge' music from the early '90's and how depressing it was? Alice in Chains "Facelift" album? Very dark and depressing.
    The grunge seen came out of Seattle, two hours drive south from Vancouver. You know what else comes from Seattle that's interesting? Starbuck's coffee. Hmmmm...

It can be very miserable here for a lot of the year. Very gray.
    Then again there is not a lot of EMF either.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Peertje80 likes this.