1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Life without Twinkies

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by PrimalPam, Nov 18, 2012.

1. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

Is anyone else bothered by the amount of media attention this is getting? My FB page has been blowing up all week. Executive chefs are posting Twinkie recipes. The news stations seem to have a story every newscast about empty shelves; sellers on Ebay are getting $100 a box.

This was a business. The union said no to compromise and the company said, well fine, then we have to close. Don't want to negotiate? Then you don't have a job, 'cause we just can't afford it anymore.

I think the bigger issue is why....did their healthcare costs rise? Did their manufacturing costs rise? Did they anticipate higher costs and realized they just couldn't keep up? What does this say about unions and the power they have over American companies?

No one seems to care about the reasons WHY this business failed.

All they want is their d*mn Twinkies. I never liked 'em anyway. Now Ding Dongs, that's a whole 'nother story. :)

2. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

It's a kind of mini sponge cake or swiss roll or something, isn't it? Wasn't the policeman was eating them in Die Hard?

I've never seen one. I'm sure we have things as bad round here.

I saw a poster for some product that consisted of two biscuits (crackers) with a processed cheese filling a couple of days ago, and the poster said it was "all natural". Depends how you define "natural" I suppose. I guess if it is "naturalness" is an irrelevant criterion when it comes to food choice.

3. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I think it's just a combination of a sense of nostalgia and a sensationalist media who likes nothing more than to make a big ****ing deal out of everything.

4. LinD

LinD New Member

Exactly!

I never liked those products.....even when I was a kid.

5. chocolate

chocolate Silver

Well, they could be selling the carbon credits...

In CA, those types factories have imported poverty working in them and their spawn buying the stuff with food stamps.

6. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Definitely the nostalgia thing. Those of us who grew up in the 60s and 70s found Hostess products in our lunch boxes quite often. I was more fond of Suzy Q's rather than twinkies. I had a twinkie a few years ago when I saw them in a convenience store at the end of a long ride. I was disappointed - it didn't taste anywhere near as good as I had remembered. Kind of stale and icky. Either my tastes changed or quality went downhill (or maybe both?).

Much of the commentary I've heard about the decline of the business focused on their inability to adapt to changing consumer tastes & preferences. I think they could have capitalized on parents' fond memories while innovating and come up with a product that was perceived to be more healthy. Instead, they were stuck in a time warp, making the same old product for years on end.

7. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

That is not correct at all.

Hostess was bought out by a vulture cap company, stripped of all assets AFTER the biggest union give backs EVER. Now there's nothing left so they're dumping it. They'll probably sell the recipes to China and then you will see those nonfood items back on the shelf. At a higher price. Made in China.

8. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

I, too, just don't like the taste of them anymore. They've subbed HFCS, and I'm sure done other things for cost efficiency. In fact, these days, whenever I get a craving for something like this, I just think....I don't like the taste of HFCS. And since almost nothing is made without it anymore, I can stop the craving more easily.

I also agree that they just didn't change with the marketplace. You're right: Twinkies never "grew up". We all had them in our lunchboxes in the 70's (well I didn't, because my mom wouldn't let us, and I was so envious of Twinkie kids!), but they never did anything as we aged to make it appeal to us. Interesting; I never thought of it this way.

9. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

I hadn't read that. If so, I sit corrected. :)

10. Thor

Thor Banned

In San Francisco - "twinkies" are still around lol

Just let that one sink in

11. chocolate

chocolate Silver

Its really sad when a factory closes, it's like a death. There are environmental laws on the books mandating energy efficiency upgrades that are stopping tons of folks in their tracks, big and small.

You have to look at what the union does for the consumer... does having unionized twinkie bakers deliver a better product or a better price? Does it mean the best twinkie bakers will be baking twinkies? (I seem to see the crustiest and dustiest represented.) If not, the union has no value. If union meant quality... hey ... our schools would kick butt.

If there were guarantees that no illegal immigrants worked in those companies it might be of interest. Its against the law to use e-verify in California, because of all of the illegal immigrants in unions.

It makes the union political money questionable and filthy. They will probably be first in line for the next batch of "stimulus jobs". It kinda works that way. Who cares if twinkies are made in China? They won't be using US ports to deliver them or US Longshoremen. The environmental laws became so ridiculous that a huge shipping port is being built in Mexico and a trans Mexican railway so they don't have to fool with the Panama Canal.

Maybe all of those poor displaced workers could go to Wyoming where folks are merciful. LOL

12. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

13. Huck

Huck Silver

Teamsters wouldn't negotiate. Hedge funds lost at least $100 million. Workers lost.

14. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Not true. Hostess admitted the givebacks by the unions were shocking. They sold them out anyway giving massive bonuses to the ceo and his cronies. THAT's what killed Hostess. Read the article.

15. It's an outdated product with an outdated business model. It left because the market spoke. No market for that product at that price.

Many many products, and people, have filled in the market with products and prices people want.

On a non personal note - it's a shifting of jobs somewhere else. Possibly even the resurge of local crafts foods could mean more of the earnings go to those that labor.

The market says: no high margin products that use expensive overhead that doesn't benefit the consumer.

Sadly, china it will be for many things for a while.

Logically speaking, is a Chinese worker earning their daily twinkies any less of a person because they are in china?

16. They have some serious paid PR whores getting as many "column inches" so they can sell off the brands.

17. And yes, very annoyed. All this hostess talk makes me want a little silver puck of love!

18. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

I copied the following post from another forum I sometimes check in on. I figured if I put in the link no one would bother to read it:

Again, this is not MY post, I simply copied it from another forum I belong to to give another perspective.

19. chocolate

chocolate Silver

I used to work at a pizza parlor and we would make a thousand dollars worth of pizza with 9 dollars worth of dough. Wasting dough was no big deal. I don't know if the spent cakes were fed to pigs to finish them or not, but that's what happens with the bread pulls at grocery stores. (It makes them sick to raise them on it. They start peeing weird and get stiff joints and can hardly walk)

I also worked as a cake decorator and would do pulls while the first batch was in the oven in a small grocery store and the donut fryer was working. The bread was to go into a locked dumpster but I handed it off to a well recognized character actor that fed street people and birds with it years ago. The stuff is garbage and we all know it. You can feed broilers the stuff, also. They are cruddy quality meat, but... you are what you eat.

20. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

Which is what happens to us when we eat this cr*p.