1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Let's Talk Seafood . . .

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by BJK77, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

thx kathy. I just found the H-mart JanSz was talking about in Denver. It's an hour drive for me but I guess I'll check it out if there's frozen stuff I could stock up on every once in a while. With fish freezing stuff that's not frozen at the store I think everything has been frozen before, so that wouldn't work.

POM has great prices but it won't label wild caught.

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

If it comes to cost, I think eating just a regular serving of seafood per day is pure magic for our bodies. Don't talk yourself out of seafood by adding up the cost of a whole pound of the best quality you can find.

3. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

Canned sardines can cost like 70 cents a can! Woo hoo!! Yes, people need to remember this. Of course fresh, wild caught salmon with crispy skin TASTES nicer, but the canned stuff is more convenient. On the go? Just open a can and eat it RIGHT THERE!

4. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

We're headed to Maine in a few weeks for vacation and the lady that we are renting a house from just emailed me to say lobster is incredibly cheap right now - $3.50 a lb! I told DH we're taking several coolers along with us so we can bring as many home as I can fit. Now I just need to clean out the freezers before we go ;)

The last time I went to Maine I brought back tons of wild blueberries (and I still plan to bring some back, but they won't have priority in my cooler). . . amazing how things change!

5. MonteD

MonteD New Member

You are not the only one. I hate it too. Very fishy. Here in Texas we have Kroger and they have great bulk fish. (cod and salmon). I'd search around.

6. Melinda

Melinda New Member

I got this message back from Trader Joe about the canned salmon: it's OK

Dear Melinda,

Thank you for contacting us. All our canned fish (which includes our canned salmon) are in BPA-free cans EXCEPT: Sardines, Crab, Cherrystone Clams & Oysters.

Hope this helps,

Nikki

Customer Relations

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:09 PM

To: Web Customer Relations

Subject: Trader Joe's Product Information Form

Name:Melinda Fairchild

Phone Number:

Email Address:mfairchild@q.com

Your Trader Joe's:Oro Valley, AZ

Product Name:Alaska pink Salmon

Sku #:0035927

Date Code:9/2017

Comments:Does this line of canned salmon have BPA (Bisphenol A) in it's lining?

7. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Budget is going to be an issue for us, but I believe you can pretty much always make it work. Fish heads (yes, Soul, I'm talking fish heads again) are dirt cheap... and you can simply talk to your fishmonger or wherever you buy your wild caught fish and ask for them. Ditto with the skin they are removing for some of the fillets. This is 'throw away' stuff for most fish places, but it's wonderful nutrition. I figure to keep in our budget, we'll probably need to do the 'fish head smoothie' thing every other day at least. Tonight's dinner was raw roe (also dirt cheap, but really ugly in those sacs!), cooked salmon skins and fish head smoothies. One thing I've realised is that keeping to a budget can mean not having glamorous meals... but they make you feel great!

8. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

when did I ever get associated with fish heads :eek:

9. For the record, I wrote to King Oscar Seafood, makers of the canned cod liver that was mentioned in another thread, and they informed me that all theirs cans are guaranteed to be BPA free.

10. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Great! I always buy King Oscar sardines.

11. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Has anyone dehydrated fresh fish? I was thinking about this, with the smaller fish. Am I asking for an odorous nightmare stinking up my house?

12. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I've done this I think I mentioned it somewhere. Yes, it stinks. I've done it with salmon and smelts. The salmon I eat, the smelts are really dog treats, which I ate some of :eek:

The thing with dehydrating fish is that you expose it to warm temps for a long time. So some people would say that that might not be a good idea for PUFAs. The fish still gets cooked, unless you use an Excalibur or other dehydrator that has a precise temperature control option (raw foodie speaking here...). Anything over 118 is dead/cooked, most raw foodies won't go over 115, some won't go over 105. So, the lower the temp, the greater the risk for spoilage of meat/fish which isn't that much of a problem for raw vegans b/c it's all veg after all.

Drying stuff has been part of human's conversation methods for a very long time. Drying in the sun is the best option b/c it helps with preservation, as opposed to using a dehydrator. But then you have bugs that will attack your fish/meat and no control over temps.

13. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I got mine yesterday!

14. Thoughts on "cold smoked" fish? Would that alter the epa/dha?

15. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

nope, temp doesn't get high enough I'd say

16. freesia

freesia Old Member

Yay!! I'd be renting a refrigerated trailer for $3.50 per pound!! But then...what to do with it all when I got that trailer home?? :D

FWIW, I empathise with all the points you brought up in your first post, and I condsider myself educated too *smile*.

I'm envious of your upcoming trip.......enjoy it and make the most of it!

17. Me too, and in general I find the quality of their products to be excellent. But I was disappointed to find that their cod roe, at least the one I find in the shops here, contains soy, potato starch, guar gum, carob gum (E410) and xanthan gum (E415). :(

18. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

I can find no canned or jarred roe or caviar that is not adulterated with undesirables. Fresh ocean roe is basically unavailable on the east coast until winter/spring. Anybody know something i don't? thanksunavail

19. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I have ordered salmon roe from here before and it was fantastic. http://www.ilovebluesea.com/sustainable-seafood/fish/caviar-roe/