1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Let's Talk Seafood . . .

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by BJK77, Jul 19, 2012.

1. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

BG-5 was finally a blog I could truly wrap my head around without having it spoon fed to me! This alone tells me that it's extremely significant for me . . . my brain desperately needs the seafood!

I've been eating seafood at least once a day for the last few months, but I suppose not as much as I should be. It generally equals about 4-6 oz/day. Based on the blog, it sounds like we should be eating a pound a day!! That, I'm afraid, will totally break the bank, which leads me to my first question:

What are you all finding to be the most affordable, yet still nutrient dense, seafoods?

I know Dr. K has said the worst seafood is better than the best meat, BUT I still struggle with that. It's not that I don't believe him, it's just that I've read so much about the practices of farmed fisheries and it truly disgusts me. Petroleum byproducts used as feed, GMO's, mutated species, PCBs, etc, etc.

So for now I've only been buying wild caught stuff, which is super pricey!

Anybody else uncomfortable with funky fish or am I overanalyzing things?!?! I went to an Asian market yesterday and sure, the stuff was dirt cheap, but it was all farmed in China! YUCK! I try not to buy a thing from China, especially food.

Thoughts?

2. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I'm trying to look at it this way: fish is expensive, but healthcare is a hell of a lot MORE expensive. Plus, the more fish I'm eating, the less other meat I'm going to have to buy, so it's kind of a wash in that regard.

3. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

My question is I fish for salmon in Lake Michigan and am able to stock my freezer well. How much DHA is in my salmon if it is from fresh water, not salt water? Does it matter? Still a fairly nutrient dense food or?

4. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Totally agree, but if you truly can't afford it, what to do? I've been purchasing all organic fruits/veggies and organic, grass-fed meats for my family for years now. My food bill is astronomical and I'm ok with that, but I don't have much more room to budge. Wild Alaskan salmon is $12-20 a pound here. If I eat a pound a day, I'm looking at over $300 a month just for one person and that's on the low end of the $ scale.

I'm curious to hear what others are eating and what they're finding to be affordable, good sources!

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

If you want to see data......go to the Paleo Answer book and look at all Cordain's charts......highlight seafood and then meat.......see who wins in his OWN book for your self.........you think bad meat is OK? I 'll take bad fish any day over good meat.......it has 5 times the nutrition punch in some cases!!!!! EDUCATE YOURSELF BEFORE YOU B & M about aquaculture........

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Sardines and canned salmon are so expensive???? COME ON people.

7. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Great. I am going to continue to eat my salmon and get more of it. This means I can afford more shellfish too then.

8. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Whole wild caught mackerel is cheaper than grass fed ground meat where I shop.

9. ealachan

ealachan New Member

a standard-sized can of sardines is 125g = 4.4oz, which is a little more than a quarter of a pound. So you'd need 4 x 125g cans of sardines a day to = 1lb 1.6oz. I bought water-packed sardines last night for $1.69 per can. That's $6.76 per lb.

I know canned salmon goes for about $7 per 8oz can at my local grocery store, so that's certainly not a cheap option, at least for me.

edited to add: this is not me saying that I personally can't afford to eat fish. I was just playing devil's advocate and doing a quick cost analysis. :)

10. Melinda

Melinda New Member

Trader Joes has a 14.75 ounce can (no BPA) of wild caught salmon, with skin and bones, for $2.99. I use two cans and some eggs, spices and few diced veggies to make a salmon loaf. Feeds 4 of us twice and really hides the skin and bone from picky eaters. I up the fats and keep the seafood to about 8oz per person per day. I hope you can find a way in your budget to get to epi-paleo.

11. kathylu

kathylu Gold

At Costco: six cans of wild alaskan salmon (7 oz can) for about 10 bucks. Canned smoked oysters (pretty yummy) six cans for about $6. Canned crabmeat for about $9 per pound. Four cans of brisling sardines with skin and bones for around $5. My local asian grocery has 21-25 count shrimp (with or without heads) for $5.50/lb. A variety of wild caught fish from mackerel (3 kinds) to bass to snapper to salmon (Canadian) from $3 to $7 per pound. Frozen sea scallops for $8.99/lb. Fish heads (all types) $2.50/lb. Squid $2.99/lb and they will clean everything to order! Dollar stores (and Aldi) have canned fish for a buck per can.

Look, and you will find.

12. jib

jib New Member

Anybody ck'd an Aldi's? Think I got sardines in spring water (vs soybean-blec) for a buck and I know they have salmon frozen, but not sure of the source.

13. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

Walmart has wild salmon for $ 4.99 / pound in frozen food. Very tasty.

14. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Name of Asian Store? Mine doesn't label wild caught/farmed.

15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

currently I buy our fish at Costco and joes. recently when I've wanted fresh oysters/clams, etc I've been paying out the nose at WFM for them... And this past week I remembered we have a Grand Mercado that has an awesome fish section - fresh eel, lobster, crab, squid (all still alive mind you!) oysters, clams, and whole fish... I think I'll be able to find my mackerel there for the MHS :)

and we've got a fish market just off the 14th street bridge - never been there but I think we're going to be making a trip

the question is - how can I talk DH into another deep freezer and an Ice Machine!

16. MonteD

MonteD New Member

I've been to three different grocery stores. Same story at everyone. I can get wild caught salmon, skin on, for 4 dollars a pound. That is BY FAR cheaper than I can find even mediocre beef steaks.... Seriously, even wal-mart, for crap quality rib-eyes wanted 8 dollars a pound....

I don't even touch canned fish anymore. And guess why...it ISN'T
    cheaper!!!

17. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Am I the only one who totally hates WalMart's frozen wild-caught salmon? It tastes horrible to me. I'll pay extra for fresh any day of the week, at least when it comes to salmon.

18. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I purchased the canned salmon at Costco before too. It's a good price, but once I learned about the BPA in the cans I didn't trust it anymore :( Your asian grocery has great prices. Super lucky! The Asian market I went to yesterday had prices similar to what I'd find at any old grocery store and IMO the products were pure junk to boot!

We agree on one thing - not touching canned fish! $4 a pound for wild caught salmon is amazing. I joined a buying club to get it around here and with a nice discount it still comes in at $12 a pound MINIMUM! Count your blessings. You're quite lucky!

19. kathylu

kathylu Gold

20. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Super Grand Mart in Maryland. They label fish that is farmed as such (tilapia, salmon, catfish). They say the others are wild...but you pay your money, you take your chance I guess. The prices are great, but sometimes freshness is a problem. I know how to recognize fresh seafood though.