1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Lets talk about optimal beds

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by freshveggies, Mar 7, 2013.

1. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

I have been thinking about my bed that is very full of metal coils that act like an antenna. Here are a couple of articles that talk about beds:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...gigantic-cancercausing-radiation-antenna.aspx
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...Sleep-Matters-If-You-Want-a-Healthy-Baby.aspx

Now to find a bed that doesn't have coils and that is comfortable. The ones I have looked at so far are not around here and I would have to fly across the country to just try it out. Some do have a return policy. The other aspect that I was also concerned about is chemical free.

another option. What if I got a regular foam mattress--not memory foam as I do not do well with those - and encased it with this:
    http://www.natlallergy.com/prod/1740/zippered-mattress-covers-bedcare-elegance.html

pore size is 2.9 microns. I wonder if that would stop the chemicals from leaching out?

Any thoughts?

2. dkenward@yahoo.com

dkenward@yahoo.com New Member

What about futons? I slept on one for years and found it comfortable. I still have one I use for a guest room bed and for taking naps.

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

WE've got a sleep number bed - which I love - though I now wonder if its a good thing? and if maybe going with a memory foam type mattress might be a better solution?

We've had the magnetico sleep pads now for close to 1 month and I love that thing... the kids are sleeping great - less night wakings etc...

as far as emfs - we've gotten very good at turning off both the wifi and router when we use it and most of the time its turned off (going to be adding the printer/computer/monitor to that as well. duh (face palm - why wasn't I thinking about that?)

I loved sleeping on tatami mats when I lived in Japan...very comfortable - there are times that I'd love to have a tatami room for sleeping in... awesomeness (now how do I talk DH into that????

4. cantweight

cantweight Gold

We are due for a new bed (13 yrs on this one!) and was planning on memory foam, but I would suspect they have mad VOC. Natural mattresses are way out of my price range. Any thoughts?

Christi

5. shilohman

shilohman New Member

Something you might try since you already have a sleep number mattress is attach a ground wire to the box springs and bed frame, this way any stray voltages that are picked up via the coils/frame can not act as an antenna and expose you. Turning off the circuit breaker to your bedroom would eliminate any EMF from you sleep number electronics. Add a grounding mat grounded to earth to your bed and there really isn't much more you can do.

6. Hope

Hope Gold

I love our lifekind organic latex mattress which we got from lifekind.com...the best gift ever. No coils, no nothing. I had to fight for the non-fire-retardant cover of it with a note from my chiropractor (as I didn't' want to have to breathe in those chemicals), but we did it. It's six years old and still feels new to me, but a bear to move if you have to ever move it. I also love my pillow...though it's not organic :( it has done wonders for my neck...and it has a gel cover that keeps my head a little cooler, especially in summer...I really believe in it. Maybe it's just placebo but I love it anyway. Check that out here if you like.....

http://sleepcity.com/technogel-pillow-by-dr-scholls/

7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

That's a great idea shiloman... the one great thing about the sleep number - is the base is plastic & the actual mattress is memory foam and air tanks. but grounding it would be a great idea....only just recently discovered that our bedroom & office outlets are not grounded... going to have to remedy that. I need to have DH help me put a grounding sheet on our bed and ground it outside....

one of the best places I've slept in - is at my aunts house that's about 1hr north of los cabos - she's off the gird, has a water cistern, 150m from the Pacific Ocean & limited cell service - you need a satellite capability in your cell phone to get it to work. Every single bed frame is made of adobe, with just a mattress on in... best sleep ever there... now I know why!

8. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

what does your latex mattress feel like? What firmness level did you get? Does it indent a lot?

9. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

My optimal bed as i said in an earlier post is simple a reindeer skin in the wild. Do sleep outside for about 100 nights a year but will start doing it even more soon. At "home" a simple bamboo mat with a sheet.

10. Martha Barger

Martha Barger New Member

Bedding Thoughts abound....Cannot yet post at 'Raise head of bed 10-30 degrees or leave flat?' thread but if anyone is looking to Elevate their head at night.I found Avana Elevator Mattress a USA company out of Atlanta... they have 5", 7" and mentioned a 12" as well. Fits below current mattress and above box springs or slats. They sell on Amazon, also saw on eBay and Overstocks and at their own web site.
    https://www.avanacomfort.com/mattress-elevator.html
    I have lots of questions and have left word for Avana Comfort to get back to me.

Just thought I'd post this if someone is looking for a wedge to elevate.

I spent years looking for a 'healthy' bed... settled on a very comfortable but very heavy king 100% natural latex with 2 twin slat foundation and now interested in elevating head as well as adding a Magnetico Sleep Pad. With Magnetico so many choices and I can't imagine how this will layer and if slat foundation will handle all the weight. Good thing I am losing weight on the Epi-Paleo Rx.

I am also 'princess and the pea' sensitive and hen pecking picky.
    ....seems our bed is kinda like a complex puzzle and also similar to a boat as a bottomless expense.