1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Leptin Rx Journal- Getting Serious

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by allison09, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

extra c is fine B6 you can get too much

I'd start higher than 50mg but I do my own thing guessing dosages.... do what you feel comfortable with. You will know it when you've reached your dose - sudden significant improvement in symptoms.

And then, as always, ... test.

2. allison09

allison09 New Member

Alright, I'll probably start at 100mg because I'm inpatient :) I don't know anything about testing, what would I even ask for? What does Dr. K recommend for people just starting out? I know there's probably a blog post about it somewhere...

3. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Dr Kalish does the testing for this but you have to be his patient. I don't know where else you could get NT testing (and the interpreted results).

There's an optimal labs blog but it doesn't include this.

4. allison09

allison09 New Member

Ok, thanks again for your help!

5. Hi Allison!

We sure do have a lot in commun!! I went back to school a couple of years ago and that's when bulimia started.I thought it was a stress related think only. It sure improved when I got my diploma, but I was still binging a lot. And sleep became crappy (and sometimes non-exitent!) whila at school too. That's why I ended up here at first, to get my sleep back. I discovered meanwhile that my entire body is broken. Seriously, I don't dont where I would be now if I didn't start the protocol. I'm really far from beainbg optiomal, but I feel way better!!

I, too, cary fat around my waist. This is pretty new. It is usually a sign that something is wrong with insulin or cortisol. Mood and energy are linked to hormones too, that's why I suggest getting tested. I was sure I was dealing with adrenal fatigue, and it wasn't the case at all!! My sleep problems are linked to low DHEA, and supplementing with it helps me really much. I now sleep all night much of the night with good quality sleep :) And just like you, sleep was worst when I started the protocol. Give it a few days before you see any improvement in this area.

Are you having more CO than usual? It can cause diarrhea if it's the case. Too much magnesium can do the same.

I'd say, if you are not hungry for dinner, don't eat...See how you feel in the evening and at night, and if you're fine, just go with it. If you're starving by the time you go to bed, then force some food down at dinner time. It's all individual and essay and error...You'll get to know yourself very well on this protocol, and you have to listen to your body ;)

I know somewhere there's a list of the labs you should get done. I'll find it and get back to you.

K

Here's a list of labs you should get: http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?1007-Help-Labs-List

And another one here: http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?1863-Which-labs-do-I-really-need&p=30814&viewfull=1#post30814.

Hope this helps!

6. allison09

allison09 New Member

Another questions- Dr. Kalish recommends cysteine. Is that L-cysteine, cysteine, or NAC? I'm having trouble finding cysteine as a supplement.

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I wrote down cysteine but it might be l-cysteine.... I find out. It's not NAC.

8. allison09

allison09 New Member

AbetterME-thanks for the advice! Isn't it crazy how school can totally ruin your health! Ugh, I have a summer class that started the other day and I'm so annoyed about it! I just want to be done so the stress can decrease a little bit. It's interesting that you mentioned mood and energy are linked to hormones-I bet mine are totally out of whack. I just don't know how to go about getting all this testing-I've never asked for tests before, and I don't want to have to explain all of this to a Dr. because I feel like they will think I'm insane. Also, I don't have a Dr here yet as I just moved. I should probably look into that. Thanks for the links though, I'm going to check them out!

So today was a pretty good day. I ate well and I felt better than I have been feeling. I felt less bloated, and more like myself. It's a good feeling! Plus, I actually got hungry for lunch and dinner today, and didn't feel like a stuffed whale after eating. Hopefully I can get some sleep tonight.

Tonight at work I ate about a handful of macadamia nuts. It was kind of impulsive, but I don't feel guilty about it, and it didn't spiral into a binge. I definitely did not have that "crazy brain" feeling that happens before a binge.That is seriously a first! I should mention that I work at a natural foods co-op with a seriously amazing bulk department. There are tons of nuts and dried fruits and amazing chocolate treats literally at my fingertips at all times. Can you understand why this can be difficult for me!? There is also an awesome deli that makes all kinds of treats, and anything that goes out of date or gets "damaged" gets put in the staff lounge for people to eat for free. It's like a food frenzy. I'm so proud that I haven't had anything bad the last two shifts I worked! I've realized that bringing my own food from home is key, and the BAB totally helps with cravings. So yea, tonight after I ate my food from home, I had some mac nuts. Although nuts aren't recommended on the AI protocol, I figured mac's aren't the worst since they have a good O3 ratio. So I indulged. And then I stopped. Hahah what a concept!!

Food today:

BAB-finished by 9:30ish- broiled tilapia (5.5oz), turkey sausage (4oz), broccoli (5oz), 1/2 TB CO (enzymes)

L-2pm- 6oz can of salmon, 1TB olive oil, romaine lettuce (supps- fish oil, D, B's, enzymes)

D-6pm- 5.5 oz beef, 5.5 oz zucchini, 3.5 oz mushrooms, 1TB CO, handful of mac nuts

Totals = 1396cal 89.7g fat 29g carb 134g protein

I'm excited about trying the 5-htp out again with the co-factors. I get a good deal on supplements through my job, so I priced everything out tonight, just have to order them!

I'm super tired tonight, hopefully I can sleep. Gotta be ready for my HIIT class tomorrow, I'm excited!

That is a ton of protein, is this ok?!

9. It's not that much, don't worry, it's barely over 1g of protein per body weight.

How was the sleep last last? And how is the sleep after HIIT? Is it worst or restful? I had to stop any cardio for a while because it made matters worst on sleep and hormones :( I started lifting a little this week, but I'll keep it to a minimum until I'm LS.

Congrats on the not-binging-on-the-nuts. Indulging a little...stopping...yeah, what a concept, but it seems to be harder to get for some of us ;) If I have a fews nuts, I'll end up having way too much. My doctor says that food that triger a binge is usually food we have intolerence about... For me it would be wheat, dairies and nuts...It makes sense.

You don't have to feel bad asking for testing you know. And if you meet a functionnal dr, you won't have to justify yourself other than: I can't lose fat, I don't sleep, I'm stressed and I have cravings...I think that's enough to order some labs ;) But as I said earlier, follow the protocol, and if at one point you stall and you can't lose weight, drop the w/o, and if you stall again, you'll have to get tested to see exactly what's wrong.

Have a nice week-end, hang in there!! :)

K

10. allison09

allison09 New Member

Ahhh! I totally wish I read this BEFORE I got into the coconut butter again:( I got some at work and ate it after I ate my dinner. Then I ate some more when I got home from work at 11pm. That's DEFINITELY a snack, and DEFINITELY against the rules. UGH. Wow, I couldn't even make it one week. The good news is that it didn't spiral into a huge binge, the better news is that I didn't even want it to. I didn't have that crazy brain feeling-so why did I even eat it in the first place?! I definitely noticed that my belly does not like coconut butter/manna. I got a weird feeling in my stomach after I ate it, and a little while later I had some terrible gas (sorry!). I've suspected for a while that I can only really handle coconut oil, and maybe milk. Coconut meat always seems to give me a problem...perhaps it's a true intolerance, which may be why I usually can't control myself when I eat it. But then why can I tolerate the oil just fine?! So many mysteries.

BAB- 8am - a ton of ground beef and zucchini

L- 2pm- 4 pieces of pastured bacon, broccoli

D- 6pm- tuna with spices and 1TB olive oil, zucchini/yellow squash, a few green beans, and coconut butter

After dinner- MORE coconut butter

I'm so disappointed in myself. Guess I set myself back to the beginning.

11. allison09

allison09 New Member

I'm not sure- I went to class today at noon (I know, I know...I worked late tonight and couldn't go after 5) and it was pretty intense, then I worked an 8 hour shift that was pretty physical, so hopefully I tired myself out enough to get some good sleep. I'll let ya know :)

12. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Lots of us bingers have noticed a problem with the coconut butter. It does have carbs and therefore can trigger a binge. Most of us handle it by not buying it or eating it at all.

13. allison09

allison09 New Member

Add me to that list.

14. yeah, I forgot to put that on the list...Can't have any coconut buttur without emptying half of the jar :( I stay away now!!

Don't be too hard on yourself. It's not like you have snacked on sugary stuff or anything. I don't think you ruined all your effort from the beginning. You had a good day overall,and a really good week. I still snack from time to time. Sometimes its day time, and sometimes it's at night. I try not to, but if I haven't eat enough at the previous meal, sometimes I just can't wait to the next one. I just make sure I make good choices, I adjust at the next meal and that's it.

And look at the improvement you've done this week: no binge with nuts, and no binge with the coconut butter, even if you knew you shouldn't have any in the first place. No I-Better-Go-All-The-Way-And-Binge-Since-I-Already-Screwed-Things-Up!! :) That's a huge step. Leave that behind and focus on the new day.

I like to go to bed and list 10 things positive I've done that day. It helps me see that I'm doing a lot of good to myself and other, and I let go of the less positive ones.

Have a nice week-end :)

K

15. PaulaRichards

PaulaRichards New Member

You're doing good Allison. It took me a few weeks to realize the CO butter makes me crave. I don't buy it now. I'm hoping I'll be able to have it again sometime without problems but who knows!

16. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I've been making progress on the trigger foods, so if that happens for me - I'm pretty sure it'll happen for most of you as well! I can eat nuts again (nevermind that I should not b/c of AI protocol.... but the testing phase was pretty successful :eek:) Took me 7 months to get there and I'm paying A LOT of attention still when I do eat them (not anymore back on AI). I've been holding off the coconut butter though I am pretty sure I could handle it.... too many bad memories and not worth it, lol.

17. allison09

allison09 New Member

Aw, thanks guys :eek: I'm feeling better about it today. I definitely woke up with a stomach ache and had D again, so, if that's not a clear sign that coconut butter and eating late at night don't agree with me, I don't know what is!! It is an interesting learning experience though...I've only been doing the Leptin Rx for a week, but I've already learned so much about myself (regarding food) that I didn't know before. It's funny what you notice when you actually STOP eating throughout the day, and after dinner!

Today I had a hard time getting the BAB down, I think just because I wasn't hungry at all and my stomach hurt, but I still did it and I think it clocked in at like 64 grams of protein. Pretty intense.

BAB-8am- salmon, bacon, olive oil

L- chicken, mushrooms marinated in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, garlicky green beans (this was all on the hot bar at work today! epic win! usually it's all tofu and rice and vegan crap)

D- more chicken, baby greens sauteed in a lot of ghee, avocado

I just finished dinner-I ate a LOT, and most of it was fat. Oh well. I didn't track today because I'm being lazy. I bought ghee today to change things up, usually I made my own but again, I was feeling lazy.

So I've noticed that I've been waking up all stressed about the BAB in that I get all nervous that I won't make it within the half hour. I realize this is ridiculous, but alas, this is how my brain works. I have the day off tomorrow, so I'm just going to cook up a bunch of food to have in the fridge, that way I'll always have something ready for breakfast and there will be no reason to stress.

I'm going out of town this weekend, Thursday till Tuesday, because I have to be in my friends wedding. I'll be staying at my dads house, which is usually very dangerous for me. I have a history of binging like crazy when I'm home...there's just something about being back there that I can't handle. However, I feel pretty good about this visit. I think that if I stick to the BAB and realize that the rest of my meals may not be perfect, I'll be able to deal. How do you guys handle going out of town/eating on other peoples schedules? I'll have to deal with all the rehearsal dinner and wedding stuff, so I'll just have to try to eat as clean as I can. I keep going back and forth about drinking too- I don't really want to drink because it's against the Leptin reset and because I'm not a big drinker, but think I think, OK this is one of your best friends weddings, it's OK to indulge. I don't know what I'll do yet.

18. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Not really any help here but I've been taking time off from eating on other people's schedules. If we want to eat at the same time - great, no problem. But I'm not at a point in my recovery where I could adjust my eating schedule necessarily to something that doesn't match my hunger patterns. I currently eat breakfast right after getting up and then a second meal somewhere between 1pm and 5pm depending on when I get hungry again. But I'm simply not able to wait until 5pm if I'm hungry at 2pm. Hopefully, as my recovery comes along, I'll be a little more flexible. It is a little bit of a PITA not being able to do this.

19. allison09

allison09 New Member

Souldanzer, I hear ya, and I usually do the same thing when it's just my normal daily life. I'm always saying things like "I'll go with you, but I'm not going to eat" or "I'll just get coffee" although now I'm not even drinking coffee....I just know that I can't do this at an event like a rehearsal dinner. That would just be awkward.

20. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I've pulled that off to not eat at a rehearsal dinner.... I don't recommend it ;)