1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Leg stents and subsequent spasms

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by drezy, Apr 24, 2018.

1. drezy

drezy New Member

Doc, my mom got 3 stents put in her left leg yesterday. It was cold to the touch recently.

She's been experiencing what looks like "charlie horses" in the calf all last night and today about every 5 minutes and they are painful.

Do you have any hints as to why? Or any keywords for me to do further reading so that I could assist in any way?

2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

My "charlie horses" are not due to stents.
    Eventually I think it is due to too low potassium.
    Have a doubts if my ADH is optimal.

There are variety of potassium sources.
    Lately noting @Scompy post, I am using NoSalt.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049IRCAA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is variety of other (potassium) products.
    bananas
    also
    Quinine
    Tonic Water (contains Quinine)
    number of supplements.

NOW Magnesium & Potassium Aspartate

Scompy and drezy like this.
  3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

A new stent that is cold and has poor pulses could be clotted. If the leg is swollen I would really worry about it. If there is no swelling numbness or pain then it may be a lack of Mg and K+. She may need an IV bag of LR with some electrolytes. I'd call the doc.

drezy likes this.
  4. drezy

drezy New Member

The doc who put the stents in ignored all calls for 30+hours.

Thank goodness for the entirety of this forum, I decided to drop big amounts of Mg and K through water additives and her spasms went from every 5 min to once an hour. The concept of a running forum that is searchable is gold.

Her functional doc is swell, though pushing D'Angostino's butyrate now.... Sigh....

5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Would not hurt to check her coagulation factors.
    prothrombin time (PT)

upload_2018-4-26_21-13-27.png

drezy likes this.
  6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

drezy likes this.
  7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

The prothrombin time (PT)—along with its derived measures of prothrombin ratio (PR) and international normalized ratio (INR)—are assays evaluating the extrinsic pathway of coagulation. This test is also called "ProTime INR" and "PT/INR". They are used to determine the clotting tendency of blood, in the measure of warfarin dosage, liver damage, and vitamin K status. PT measures factors I (Fibrinogen), II (Prothrombin), V (Proaccelerin), VII (Proconvertin), and X (Stuart–Prower Factor). It is used in conjunction with the activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT) which measures the intrinsic pathway and common pathway.

drezy likes this.
  8. drezy

drezy New Member

Thanks doc and Jan