1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

LearningLisa, Learning

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by LisaLearning, Feb 16, 2014.

1. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

I've been struggling with my health since my son was born (10 years), which followed a couple of years when I had lots of leaking amalgams removed. I struggled with anemia through my pregnancy, and my ferritin is still low (50 ug/L, ref 50-170). My baby son was a terrible sleeper and I basically used sugar to get through his infancy. I gained about 40 pounds in my son's first year of life.

I eat very little grain, and have done for a couple of years, but I still struggle mightily with sugar. I don't drink caffeinated beverages (mostly, I drink filtered water, and our water is not fluoridated). Recently I have been following the epi-paleo way of eating as closely as I can, trying to only eat fruit and dark chocolate when I feel I can't manage the cravings.

I recently found out I am homozygous for APOe4. I also have at least one MTHFR mutation - I need to look it up again to find the proper name for it, but I remember that it is the one where one has trouble assimilating folic acid, and that the form I have to take due to that is methylfolate.

For awhile, I was taking too much thyroid meds. My TSH was < 0.01, my free T3 was slightly over the range, as was my free T4, and my SHBG was elevated as a result (124 pmol/mL, ref 41-79). My endo recommended I reduce my Erfa thyroid to 1.5 grains, and my SHBG is now lower (67 pmol/mL, ref 41-79)

My latest TSH is (0.87), but I was troubled to see my free T3 is below the range (1.96 pg/mL, ref 2.1-4.2) and my free T4 is low normal (0.75 ng/dL, ref 0.7-1.8). I'm concerned why my TSH is so low when my T3 and T4 are too low, and immediately thought of what Jack would say - it's not a thyroid problem, per se, but it's a brain problem. Reverse T3 is 0.24 nmol/L (0.14-0.54). NOTE: I was miserable at the Erfa dose that gave these blood results: I was constantly freezing, and I had such bad leg cramps that I could not sleep through the night. Another half grain of Erfa helped them both considerably (and the cramps did not respond to increased Mg or K).

My salivary cortisol results have been low in the mornings, rising through the day until they are high in the evening. My endo currently has me taking 2mg of methylprednisolone in the mornings; he says the short half life of hydrocortisone makes it less desirable in people who have weight issues. I have noticed no improvement from this medication.

I was low in Vitamin A and D, so he had also prescribed 100,000 ius of Vitamin A per day for 3 months, and 50,000 ius Vitamin D per week. I just has these tested again, and they are still fairly low in spite of the aggressive supplementation: Vitamin A, 50 ug/dL (ref 43-111), and 25 OH Vitamin D 53.2 ng/mL (ref 30-100). This has me worried that my very loose stools (Bristol 6- have been this way for probably 15 years) might mean I am struggling to absorb nutrients, so this is something that needs looking into.

My endo also had me taking 15 mg daily of DHEAs, and 50 mg pregnenolone, as I was low in both. I stopped taking them after two months, as I was worried about DHEA converting to DHT, because I started sprouting more dark hairs on my chin and upper lip. My very recent tests show I am still very low in both of these, DHEAs: 54 ug/dL, ref 65-280, and pregnenolone 1.12 ug/L, ref 3.20-14.0), so I guess I need to consider 7 keto DHEA and figure out whether the pregnenolone could have been contributing to the undesirable hair growth.

Inflammation - my recent hs CRP was HIGH 4.24 mg/L ref 0-.055. This was MUCH less elevated last time, at 0.59 mg/L (0-0.55) and so I am wondering about my fat consumption as someone who has APOe4, or whether this is an anomalous result and due to sub-clinical infection or something before the bloods were drawn.

Other labs:

Magnesium 5.77 mg/dL 4.40-5.50.
    Triglycerides 72 mg/dL 30-170
    Total cholesterol 281 mg/dL HIGH 140-200 (used to be normal, increased with my fat consumption)
    HDL 70 mg/dL 40-109
    LDL 197 mg/dL HIGH 0-114 (used to be normal, increased with my increased dietary fat)
    Glucose 100 mg/dL - disappointing given how clean my diet was.
    Insulin 7.5 mUI/L (3-22)
    Selenium 84 ug/L LOW (90-143)
    Zinc 91 ug/dL (84-135)
    Copper 146 ug/dL (86-148)

sex hormones (I'm 46 yo, and there are no reference ranges on the report for these. drawn on day 8 of my cycle)

Estradiol 179 ng/L
    Estrone 57 pg/mL
    Testosterone 191 ng/L
    Free Testosterone 4 ng/L
    SHBG 67 pmol/mL (41-79)
    97.8% of testosterone bound

IGF1 163 ug/L (150-400)
    IGFBP-3 5.39 mg/L HIGH (2.75-4.28)

I'm also struggling with intermittent hair loss (iron, perhaps), blepharitis, dry eyes (low free T?), photodermatosis (low DHEA/Vit D), sleep is not awful, but not the best (I take 5htp and 250 mcg melatonin for bed, plus sublingual GABA before bed, all recommended by the endo, which help).

Things that need attention:

1) GI problems, possible leaky gut?
    2) leptin resistance/brain inflammation, carry on with leptin reset
    3) selenium deficiency
    4) recs for APOe4 - am I eating too much fat, elevating LDL?
    5) why do I have such high amounts of active hormones bound (IGF1 and free testosterone)?
    6) circadian rhythms, lowered/red light and no electronics after sundown
    7) CT (I'm scared of cold)
    8) EMFs - get meter, check household EMFs (we live in the countryside)

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Welcome Lisa! Have you started the leptinRX?

Have you read dr.K's book? Have you listened to his podcasts? All on the home page.

We are currently doing a free 90 day optimal reset ....you can still join in if you haven't already. Dr kruse is giving us a huge amount of time. The webinars and following Q&A are awesome.

3. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

Hi Caroline,

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I have started the Leptin prescription and signed up for the 90 day optimal reset a couple of weeks ago when I discovered it. I have been listening to all the webinars/podcasts. I've been reading on the website for about six months now, and am working my way through the blog posts. There is a lot to take in, and I'm still somewhat overwhelmed about some basic things (like my sugar cravings)

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The most concerning thing is your HS CRP. With your Apo e4 and SNP's you must work on that big time. Leptin Rx and CT is HUGE for you.......CT being double huge. You have to get the inflammation down to improve your redox potential The current blog for you is a critical one. I would tell you to focus on those 3 blogs before you venture into the blogs.

5. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I've been a bit sugar guzzler in the past and I've wanted to stop many times. What cracked it for me was watching Dr. Robert Lustig's lecture on sugar, it's available on Youtube or the University of California website on their TV channel. I was determined to stop eating anything sugary and I've pretty much succeeded. I wouldn't have given much for my chances, sugar has been a crutch for many years but having watched the video and had it brought home to me just how bad this stuff is, I pressed the off switch and it's pretty much stayed off. To the point where even having eaten some sugary stuff, I didn't like it much and haven't craved it. Here's the link, I hope it works for you too:

Just ask yourself, as the sugar is in your hand, how much do you want it or need it and what would be best for you, to eat it or to swap it for something more nutritious?

6. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

Hi Sooperb,

I've seen that Lustig video - definitely great stuff. I think the sugar cravings for me are more than just not understanding how bad it is for me. I'm not sure if it is something emotional or biochemical, but I have been reading about the evils of sugar for about 15 years, and it remains a primary struggle for me. I'm in the middle of exploring the emotional side, with Marc David's institute for the psychology of eating, and hopefully that helps me a bit. Thanks for posting the video. :)

7. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

Hi Jack,

Yes, I'm worried about the CRP. This is an unusual result for me. Here's the progression of the last four hsCRP tests from recent to older:

So you can see the latest result is unusual for me. The previous results were not great, but seem explainable given the fact that I have 40 pounds to lose. The million dollar question is whether the last one is linked to the increase in fat in my diet, that I started only a few weeks before the bloods were drawn, or whether something else was happening, like an infection. I don't think it's possible to know. I am continuing to eat fat (which helps with sugar cravings), and we will see where the next test result lands me (I'll do the test in a couple of weeks).

A lot of people have expressed concern the carriers of APOe4 should not be eating much fat, but it's all theoretical, and I can't find any empirical evidence as of yet. It's shooting in the dark, as far as I can tell.

8. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

I guess I need to buckle down and start that cold therapy. I feel so persistently internally cold (I presume it's not enough thyroid hormone), and I love nothing more than a shower so hot that it burns other people as after 10 minutes or so, I start to feel really, truly feel warm.

It's going to be a big change to willfully immerse myself in cold water. :) Is there anyone else who struggled with CT and overcame whose notes might be worth reading? I tried searching, but the amount of hits for CT is huge, of course.

9. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Lisa, I strongly suggest you start with face dunks, not immersion. You may see an improvement in your cold tolerance in a week or two.

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

Lisa - honestly ...... the leptin reset will work wonders for your cravings! I was a binge eater my whole life - I could never understand what the heck was the matter with me. You need to reset the Rolex in your brain .....works like a charm.
    read the leptin reset and then I think read the follow up on what to do after the reset ....it gives you a lot of the "why"

Absolutely - cold face dunks are the way to start. Don't second guess the protocols - just start them. Dr. Kruse has very exact reasons for everything he suggests we do - make no mistake about that ....details matter huge!

11. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

I thought I would update this journal now - I am expecting blood work to be back any day now, and while things aren't perfect, I have made a lot of changes, and I thought it would be good for me to think it through here.

I think adhering closely to light cycles has made a big difference for me. We've got red leds around sparsely, in case we need to do something, but I'm going to bed earlier and getting up earlier (and wake up feeling good) and less artificial light all around.

I bought a tri-meter when I was in the US last summer, and while it's not all sorted yet - it's much better than before. I decided bedrooms/sleep/autophagy were the first priority, and I was shocked to find out what a huge magnetic field was around my clock/radio/CD thing that was literally right next to my head. The space heater in our bedroom and our son's was awful as well. We have an old farmhouse here in England, and even though we are used to it being cold in the wintertime, the heat is off all night and we were worried about our son being too cold. We're going to need a new plan this winter because I got rid of the heaters. I am thinking we are just going to be more diligent with the much-loved English tradition of a hot water bottle (or two) to take the chill out of the bed for the boy. And we've rectified some things with astonishing fields downstairs as well (wifi and a crazy new printer, both of which are now off most of the time).

CT has been good, if not as frequent as would be best. I find I have to get to it earlier in the day; if I do it later I find it stimulating and not conducive to sleep.

I've gotten even more serious about it all lately, because I'd started having some chest pain (that didn't seem anginal) which freaked me out. I instantly worried I was taking too much erfa (desiccated thyroid) and had previously argued a bit with my endo in Brussels about it when my TSH was completely suppressed and he thought I was taking too much (elevated T3 and SHBG), I told him that nothing else had worked to abate night time leg cramps, but I understood his concerns and so I decided to trust his experience and pattern-recognition, but when I lowered the dose and we did bloods, my TSH was still low, but not completely suppressed and my free T3 was at the lower edge of normal. I asked him why my pituitary didn't seem at all bothered that my T3 was low, and he couldn't answer that question, so we agreed I should raise my dose again.

After the chest pain I went to see a private GP near Cambridge to get an ECG, and he mentioned he thought I might have Sheehan's syndrome. When he did the ECG, and we saw sinus arrhythmia with frequent premature ventricular complexes, I thought about what Jack had said about Ca2+ efflux and arrhythmia, and further resolved to minimise EMFs. I had read a comment of Jack's about B6 and muscle cramps and I decided to start that and to try and reduce the erfa again because the possibility of too much thyroid hormone was nagging at me. The B6 didn't completely get rid of the cramps, but it had the strongest effect of anything else I had tried. But as I reduced the thyroid, I got a cold last week! (I never get sick) This seems to be the hallmark for me of not having enough thyroid hormone, and now I have what I think is a swollen submental lymph gland which is also bizarre. But I think I really do need this thyroid hormone, at least for now.

I'll be very interested to see how my crp in particular is, from this new batch of tests.

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

You need to watch the video on my DR FB wall now.......and I think you'd be wise to listen to the Sept webinar of 2015 when it is done. I am planning on adding a written part for members because it is so important.

rlee314 likes this.
  13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

CT increases free T3 and so does AM UV and IR light

rlee314, LisaLearning and b612 like this.
  14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

15. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

Thanks a lot for the link. :) I spent years reading everything I could find about sunscreens in order to deal with my sun issues, and I had never seen anyone point out that chemical sunscreens convert into ROS at such high rates (especially when there is so little conversion from the DNA in the strateum corneum). I have lost count of how many times I have read in the popular press that a natural suntan only gives a very minimal amount of sun protection when I know that with the MSH injections, a small amount of sunlight exposure gives me enough protection such that I no longer get a rash from the sun.

I learned to hate the feel of sun on my skin due to the photodermatosis and avoided it for years. It's only due to the alpha MSH that I am finally (after three years) able to tolerate the feel of sun on my skin without feeling anxious knowing that I would be itchy and blistery later. Little did I realise how important it is for hormonal signalling.

As you know, we don't have impressive sun exposure in England, but I do go in the garden when it's sunny, like this afternoon, and take my top off (I live on a farm) and try to get as much as I can.

I've been reading a lot about near infrared light, and this physician mentioned it as well and its uses. Is NIR contraindicated for some people?

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I tried to tell people years ago........go back and read the original Vitamin D blog......sunshine of your life. I have written lots of blogs about sun

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Living in the UK is just not a good idea for optimal anything.

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

NIR would be bad for the dehydrated. It works on water to increase proton flows.

For example, protons. I’ve mentioned “protonicity” and no one really has indulged me with questions about them. The mitochondrial matrix is filled with them and every living thing on this planet uses proton gradients in chemiosmosis to make energy. We have experiments that a proton of energy corresponding to 30,000 volts can effect the transformation a lithium atom into two fast α-particles, which together have an energy equivalent of more than 16 million volts. Considering the individual process, the output of energy in the transmutation is more than 500 times greater than the energy carried by the proton; you’d think a biologist or two would realize this power is able to be tapped but they ignore it. Light has the tap for this energy source. The transmutation of a simple proton is the path that biology must begin to chase.

IR and NIR light increases proton flows in plasma to get chemicals from the hair follicles to the surface of the skin for human photochemistry to begin. Absorption of photons from IR/NIR at 1538.5 nm increases the probability of proton transfer in water inside a cell. This is the secret of how IR/NIR works. When this ability occurs when sunlight hits the skin blood flow increases and the interaction of IR and water allows for quantum tunneling or protons. This is why red light has such a huge effect of mitochondrial function at cytochrome c.

mamadell, Martin and Richelle Jones like this.
  19. LisaLearning

LisaLearning Silver

I'm still very dehydrated, so I guess NIR is on the back burner.

My BUN:creatinine from the bloods taken last week was 27:1. I'm somewhat pleased about that, which I am sure sounds odd. But last time it was 41:1, so at least things are headed in the right direction, even if is happens slowly. I've always wondered why no matter how much I drink I still feel dehydrated, at least now I know and the next project is to make serious cuts in daytime EMF now that nighttime EMF is in a good state. Too much time in front of the computer.

My fasting BG is lower (85), my LDL has decreased, my hs crp is lower (but not low enough at 0.85) - those are all moving in the right direction. The bad news is that my vitamin D is low, my ferritin is low, my B12 is low, vitamin A is low, vitamin E is low, dhea-s is low. That's not surprising as I am sure I am preferentially converting to progesterone to make corticosteroids given my stressy self, and that I am low.

We know why the vitamin D is low, hopefully I can continue to get more sun on my skin, and with the CT helping on the MSH front, perhaps lower LDL further.

I've got an elevated IGF-1 binding protein which was not elevated last time (IGFBP-3), I need to find out what that is about (and why my doc wanted it).

Other plans of action:

1) read about vitamin A (I think Jack's position about not supplementing things the body makes unless you really understand the whole picture is sage - and I don't know enough about vitamin A conversion from precursors in the body, so need to look at that to see how I can improve that situation);

2) talk to doc this week about PVCs, and discuss CCBs and cycloset. Also ask about why he measures folate in erythrocytes (unless I have time to read about it before I get there) and what this tells us. Make sure my progesterone levels are high enough.

3) think about low ferritin and B12 - maybe I am not absorbing enough of what I eat and need to think about supporting my gut more? The low ferritin is not helping my low T3. I need to do some reading about this.

20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Vitamin A recycling is increased by blue light because retinol is a co factor in melanopsin synthesis......blue light causes it.......so more fake light uncouples Vitamin A in brain from D3 on the skin..........Light at a surface is the answer

rlee314 likes this.