1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Leaky Gut -My positivity is coming back

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Danny, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Danny

Danny New Member

If you ask almost anyone they'd say it doesn't get much more positive than Danny. Well, if you asked anyone 6 to 7+ years ago that is. I thought I was going to solve the world's problems (world hunger and cure cancer) and that attitude remained w/ me until I hit 33/34. I've dealt w/ digestive problems my whole life and it had finally caught up to me. I slowly saw everything slip away and along with it my positivity.

My pertinent health history:

-Never breastfed / started on cereal at 3 months of age.
    -Raised on heavily processed microwave tv dinners, junk food, and fast food.
    -Physically and mentally abused by step parent.
    -On and off antibiotics for skin issues during teens and early 20's.
    -Vegetarian from the ages of 20 to 25. Ate lots of pasta, beer, dairy.
    -27 years old - I couldn't ignore my digestive issues any further. It was clear that I had a problem so I cut most processed food out of my life, cut back on sugar and alcohol. Had mixed results, but seemed to improve a little.
    -33/34 - Horrible back and sciatic pains, joint pains, brain fog, fatigue. Went on the good old willy nilly supplement train for about two years never really determining what helped and what didn't.
    -35 - Went gluten free. Better, but pains and digestive symptoms persisted.
    -36/37 - Adopted Weston A Price / raw primal diet style of eating. Definitely noticed some improvements, but digestive system and joint pains were still there. (Was still eating dairy, nightshades, lots of carbs, and not eating fish)
    38 - Started experimenting w/ paleo ketogenic diet (still doing some WAP/RAW). I had a 6 month learning curve. I just couldn't seem to get results. After the learning curve I felt like I was getting somewhere however things were still off. My digestive symptoms seemed to persist though improving a little, my joint pains improved by about 60 to 70%, but I was still fatigued and still had a leaky gut and still depressed and my positivity was no more. My wife told me it seemed as though I was giving up the fight. I definitely did not want to give up on my family, but I think she was right.
    39 - I found Dr. Kruse's website and in some ways feel like it was in the nick of time. I'm 2 months into the leptin Rx and my sleep has improved greatly. For this alone I am so thankful. I cut nightshades out (including blueberries and strawberries), cut dairy and eggs out, cut nuts and seeds out. I'm trying to mitigate my nnEMF although there's still a lot for me to learn. I need to become a paying member so I can listen to the EMF webinar. I am experimenting w/ CT. I know Jack says it's vital for those w/ autoimmune conditions so I will give it a go. I am being a little cautious however, b/c I am thin and sometimes feel pretty weak.

I feel like I am getting there, slowly. I still feel like a prisoner to my leaky gut, but my positive attitude is starting to peak through again. I've read Epi-Paleo Rx once and am about to start reading it again. I'm reading Jack's blog posts at every opportunity. I have an appointment with a nutritional doctor to discuss blood panels.

Current health issues:
    -Leaky gut. Getting better, but my stomach is very sensitive in the morning. BAB sometimes gives me a stomachache. Also, my diet is very strict and if I stray a bit I get stomachaches
    -Underweight and feel malnourished (6 ft. 1 in. - 153lbs)
    -Still slightly depressed.
    -Dry skin especially when having stomachaches.
    -My joint pains and sleep have both improved tremendously thanks to Jack's info!

Current Situation:
    -I live in a rural area. I don't think I'm exposed to many sources of nnEMF outside of the home.
    -I shut off the breaker to the bedrooms and turn off the wi-fi at night.
    -I'm 2 months into the leptin reset - so thankful for finding this info.
    -Experimenting w/ CT, but a little reticent as I am so thin. Trying to eat more fat, but sometimes tough w/ leaky gut.
    -I am taking a DHA supplement w/ iodine as a temporary boost.
    -I am eating about 4 dozen raw oysters along w/ 4 to 6 seafood meals, and few offal meals a week. I thought I was getting stomachaches from shellfish, but I think this is just when I eat in the morning.
    I will try and go lighter on my meals in the morning and hope it doesn't mess w/ my leptin sensitivity reset. A krill oil supplement I took gave me a stomachache and general feeling of being "off".
    -I do carpentry and farm work. I try and do my light work in the morning and save the heavy stuff for the afternoon. I don't do any heavy jobs anymore as I no longer have the energy anyway. I can only manage working part-time, but it's getting better.
    -I am meeting w/ a D.C./nutritionist to discuss blood panels and will hopefully have some results to show soon.

Wendy Harris and Jude like this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Danny likes this.
  3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Hydrogen is a chemists conundrum, a biologists enigma, and physicists dream because it can lose or gain this single electron. I have always been of the belief that hydrogen did not really belong to any group in the periodic table based upon this ability. After many thoughts on this topic, I realized under some environments it can be placed into group 7 or group one in the periodic table. All known elements of group 7 are halogens. The group 1 elements compromise the alkali metals. Hydrogen is often placed in group one of the periodic table by convention due to its electron configuration, but it is not considered by many to be an alkali metal. Why?

Hydrogen rarely exhibits behavior comparable to that of the alkali metals. For example, all the alkali metals react with water, with the heavier alkali metals reacting more vigorously than the lighter ones. The word “alkali” received its name from the Arabic word “al qali,” meaning “from ashes”. These particular elements were given the name “alkali” because they react with water to form hydroxide ions, creating very basic solutions (with pH > 7), which are also called alkaline solutions. Hydrogen forms water with oxygen directly and does not form a basic solution. Adding more hydrogen to it does not cause a special reaction at all, as it does with the other metals in group 1. Why is hydrogen fundamentally different?

Water is most famous for forming hydrogen bonds with other water molecules and with other ions dissolved in it. A hydrogen bond consists of a hydrogen shared between two electronegative atoms like oxygen or sulfur. The compound that donates the hydrogen to the chemical reaction is the hydrogen donor, and the acceptor atoms is the hydrogen acceptor. Water is unique because it can be both an acceptor and a donor of hydrogen. It means water can be a switch hitter in many biochemical reactions. This is why water is the universal solvent on Earth.

Hydrogen is the only thing in nature that mitigates the hydroxyl free radical.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    Penny and billy like this.
  4. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Welcome :), I had basically the same disease profile (until I moved), and I'll be following along.

Some random notes:

----

Not being breastfed along with having lots of processed food definitely isn't a good setup. But you're doing things right, so let's see where you need to do :cool:

----

Living in a Rural Area usually is associated with lower nn-EMF levels. Sometimes it can be opposite. Examples:

- More powerful cell towers to cover a wider area
    - More high-voltage power lines
    - Transmitting devices like cell phones emitting more power due to decreased signal.

Though I would say, that if you scout out your area and find very few towers or powerlines, and you are minding of your cell phone use, then things should be better than in an urban area.

----

Obviously I'd tell you turn off the WiFi completely all the time :p

----

CT is going to be tough given low body fat and poor skin quality.

When dumped into the cold, the body either has to increase uncoupling by liberating body fat as free heat (you don't have lots of fat), or to shiver. Shivering can make CT really difficult, especially when you're not healthy :confused:

Where the skin is relevant is that skin cells with good redox potential (high charge over their membrane) likely "keeps internal body heat in" while still allowing for surface cooling (skin has many layers too).

You should see cold tolerance improve as skin quality improves, and skin quality is directly tied to the quality of the GALT tissues in your gut.

Personally, I think you're doing many things right. In your case, I would work the CT protocol slightly differently. I would not bother with full-body immersion or cold showers, because it's really going to be difficult, and possibly take away from your motivation to do other things that are more helpful for your specific disease.

(If you were say someone who had some major neurological issue, immersion CT would have a much bigger bang-for-its-buck)

I would:
    • Only do cold face dunks
    • Drink lots of ice water (direct CT to the gut :p)
    • Simply try to wear less clothing in the cold
    You can start water-immersion CT when you start to see your skin quality improve.

----

You should consider intermittent fasting for your gut. (this is relevant to the H2 threads that Dr Kruse mentioned above)

I'm going to assume that you're truly Leptin Resistant, and judging by being underweight, I think that's decent assumption -- http://jackkruse.com/the-leptin-rx-faqs/ .

You're not that underweight though, and don't display neurological or psychological issues related to eating, so I'm expecting a quick recovery (your slight depression is a side effect of a bad gut not producing enough neutrotransmitters, and not a fundamental brain issue per se)

That makes implementing intermittent fasting a little more difficult, since it would mean skipping dinner. You can try that, basically eating only the Leptin Reset breakfast, and then doing lunch 5-6 hours after breakfast.

As you recover, you can and should start to skip breakfast, and start shifting to a lunch and dinner eating pattern. This is because protein synthesis is higher during the dinner time window, and you want to take advantage of putting some protein there.

----

Need to know your exposure to artificial light. While such visible light is in the native EMF wavelength bands, the intensity that you can shine a light bulb into your nights at night make this a non-native intensity.

Any strong light exposure at night? And if so, what is the current strategy to mitigate that?

-----

Last thing, how are your sleep and wake times?

====

That's it for now. Good luck :D

5. Danny

Danny New Member

6. Danny

Danny New Member

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to write out this info Yewwei! I will heed your advice about the CT. I am definitely noticing higher tolerance to cold temps. I am in Florida, however, so the cold is relatively mild compared to most on the forum:). I believe you are right about intermittent fasting. It is an absolute must for me at this point. I've tried it a little before, but I believe I will be smarter in how I go about it now. I will try your suggestion of skipping dinner while doing the leptin Rx. I'm a little leery, b/c, as you mentioned, 4 to 6 PM is the best time for protein synthesis (probably closer to 4 in the winter and 6 in the summer).
    My exposure to artificial light is very minimal at night. I really am trying to be regimented w/ the basics. I turn down lights immediately after sunset and only candle light an hour later. I've only needed to have lights on a few times later than 1 hr after sundown and I've worn blue blockers then.
    My sleep is much improved after starting the leptin Rx. I fall asleep b/t 830 to 10 and most nights it's b/t 9 and 930. I wake up b/t 530 and 630. I have only been slightly tired when waking once or twice. Other than that I'm now ready to go in the morning and I don't fade in the afternoon. This is a huge change for me! Is it a problem that I am waking up before it is light out? Sometimes I am up at 530 and feel like I can't go back to sleep. I've been testing my blood glucose in the morning and it's been below 88 mg/dL. Can this be a sign that I can maybe consider dropping the BAB from my leptin sensitivity protocol? When doing paleo-ketogenic before the leptin reset and before eating seafood (I ate almost no seafood before reading Jack's work) I was getting readings from mid 90's to low 100's.
    I will also become a member soon so I can watch the webinars, mainly the EMF one. And I have paid for blood panels to be done. I don't have time for an appointment until late next week however. I will post results in my journal when I get them. Yewwei, thanks again for taking the time! :D

7. Danny

Danny New Member

By the way, in what ways did your move help? Did you move from a higher nnEMF exposure to a lower?

8. Inger

Inger Silver

I do not think it is a problem to wake up when it is still dark... I woke up at 5 AM today.. went to bed at 10 PM... and the i just lied there and contemplated a bit... i felt not tired at all and had lots of energy all day long so i guess i got enough sleep? If I wake up early i often use the time to stay in bed in the dark and think :) Mornings are the time of the day when i have the clearest thoughts and best ideas.. I really love the mornings :)

Danny likes this.
  9. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

I gave a decent summary of this in my log

- http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/take-it-slow.9428/page-40#post-154084
    - http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/take-it-slow.9428/page-40#post-154085

----
    Good! :)

You're going to get the benefits of that elevated protein synthesis regardless of whether you eat dinner. Of course, having some food (specifically protein) at this time is even better ;)

Good! :)

Waking early shouldn't be too much a problem as Inger mentioned. So long as you're waking up was good energy levels, then I don't see it as an issue.

Yeah, it's normal for slightly elevated blood glucose and physiological insulin resistance when going ketogenic. This is a GOOD sign, and if your body can't do this, you will be energy depleted. This was discussed in deep detail in the 'Low carb / Insulin Resistance' thread -- http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/low-carb-insulin-resistance.8934/

The fact that you're getting controlled glucose levels is a good sign that you are decently healthy. Whether or not you keep the BAB in your protocol is up to you at this point. It's definitely not a sign that you should drop the BAB, but you likely don't need the food stimulus in the morning.

Awaiting updates :cool:

10. Danny

Danny New Member

For years I've struggled w/ digestive issues. I cut out gluten and improved. Then cut out grains and improved more. Then started eating PALEO raw and improved some more. Went ketogenic and improved more (it was extremely hard for me to achieve any level of blood ketones until I did the Leptin Rx). Found Jack and started the leptin Rx and improved some more. Cut out dairy and eggs per Jack's blog advice and improved some more. I was still getting some stomachaches and loose bm once or twice a week. Even though I felt as though I was improving, I felt as though my progress was too slow. Then on Feb 11th I turned off the wi-fi (it might be on for 15 to 20 mins on some days just for my wife and guests, but then immediately turned off) and I haven't had one hint of a stomachache since. I even fell out of ketosis a week ago and while feeling tired and having some nervous system issues I still had no stomach problems. Thanks to Jack's message and your reminder to shut off the damn wi-fi I finally feel like I have made a real change and turned a corner. I plugged a leak!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    SlamSlask, cinnamon and nicld like this.
  11. Danny

Danny New Member

My stomach has not been sensitive at all. All the years of leaky gut must have robbed from my bones though. I've noticed that my upper back is slightly curved. Are my my methylation SNPs being addressed by general things that improve my redox potential such as EPI-paleo ketogenic diet and leptin RX or do I have to address them w/ supplements?

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

13. Danny

Danny New Member

Had a bad experience supplementing w/ iodine for 2+ months. Stopped supplementing on March 2nd. Still feeling some of the effects. Saw doctor yesterday and he said that it will take time (give it 8 more weeks) for the iodine to get "used up" or expelled by my body. He ordered a full thyroid panel which I will have done next week. Although my brain damage has lessened since starting the leptin reset it's still there a little or I don't think I would be messing w/ the supplements as I do. From the moment I read Kruse's theory on "brain damage", I didn't get offended in the slightest, b/c it made perfect sense to me. I saw a lifetime of events from brain damaged decision making and it all made sense.

Before the iodine supplementation, the Epi-paleo diet and the leptin Rx had brought me far along. This is just a setback and a huge lesson for me.

14. Danny

Danny New Member

Current experiment: Going w/o nighttime earthing sheet. So far (2 nights), my sleeping seems much improved. Not nearly as much tossing and turning after the 3/4AM hour.

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

So you and Yew have something deep in common.......GERD is tied to ubiquitination of the micro biome.

Danny likes this.
  16. Danny

Danny New Member

I used to have awful GERD before modifying my diet. I know diet modification does little to effect the underlying condition. So, it would make sense if I still have it. I just don't transgress on my diet so I don't notice it. How can you tell I still have GERD? If the answer is in your blogs I'll find it. I'm getting there. I'm almost through the entire UBI series.

caroline likes this.
  17. Danny

Danny New Member

I am making changes that will speed up my SCN and slow down the body clock in my gut.

caroline likes this.
  18. caroline

caroline Moderator

You are doing great Danny! I love how you apply yourself :)

19. Danny

Danny New Member

Thanks Audrey! I love how positive and supportive you are.

20. Danny

Danny New Member

Might have a chance to move to NE Florida. The move would be a change in elevation from around +200 ft to +12 ft above sea level. Also, the amount of nn EMF near home will be reduced by about 70% when compared to my current home. I'll be about 20 minutes from the ocean. Lots of pine trees and buffered by conservation area and Ocala national forest. I'll gain magnetic declination by 20-30 min unfortunately.

Peertje80 likes this.