1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Leaky gut from lack of starchy carbs

Discussion in 'Feedback/Suggestions' started by ColdKnight, Aug 19, 2013.

1. ColdKnight

ColdKnight New Member

Dave asprey is saying that he got leaky gut from not eating carbs with his ketogenic diet.He ate mostly broccoli as his carbs. Supposedly, you don't make the right bile or enzymes w/out carbs/starch. I've been on and of keto for over a year, and a year ago or so I got a minor hives rash on torso only. Its gotten a little worse over the last 6 months or so. Considering you like the keto diet, I just wanted to know your thoughts on this Dr Kruse. My friend told me this today, and I didn't know what to tell him.

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

3. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Very interesting. One question that follows is how to manage the transition; From what I understand, until your cells regain their ability to tell time and access the PPP, you will not be able to make enough endogenous D-ribose to fuel the fat burning pathways, and thereby be dependent largely on the fast energy pathways and experience all the negative symptoms commonly seen in very low carb diets.

You mention that this process of adaptation to living in the PPP can take 12-24 months, and I'd assume that the negative side effects that Asprey mentioned would persist that entire time. You then mention in the EMF4 blog post that:

The change to optimal fat burning can be shortened when you acclimate to making enough D-ribose from your PPP.

So obviously getting the body to produce enough D-ribose endogenously is the key.

I've been on the ketogenic diet for about 2 months, since it's winter time in Australia where I'm at. Since starting, I've also experienced some additional skin breakouts (especially in the ankles), and feel that some of the tolerance toward sub-optimal foods has decreased (eg: I'm getting skin issues even after just a tiny cup of coffee).

I'm trying to think of a plan to reduce this transition time. So far, it's been the usual suspects:

- eat Epi-Paleo + EPCOTx due to a leaky gut. Seafood is decently cheap and easy to find here in Australia.
    - get a magnetic sleep mattress and reduce EMF exposure
    - daily CT
    - lots of sleep (9+hrs a day, usualy 10pm to 7+am)
    - appropriate supplementation

Now I'm wondering whether or not the following could be helpful in speeding up adaptation time to entering the PPP:

- not doing any exercise that depends heavily on the CP system
    - supplementing with D-ribose specifically when exercise is performed
    - adding some extra MCT oil in the mornings to accelerate the generation of ketones

----

I come from an athletic background, and many times, "ketogenic diets" are implemented with the levels of protein often recommended by the athletic community. Typically, this leads to a level of 1 - 1.5g protein per pound bodyweight. For a 22 year old 183lbs male like me, that's 180g to 270g of protein a day. I eat maybe 0.7 - 1.0kg of meat a day, so around 180 - 220g of protein.

Protein ilicits an insulin response to some degree, and excess protein can be turned into glucose. Am I right in assuming that my level of protein intake could actually hinder my adaptation to burning fat for fuel?

I know you hate this type of question, but would you say an intake of 100-150g of protein a day for someone my size is appropriate?

----

Speaking of skin breakouts Another misc point from EMF4.

Why are the symptoms first found in a leaky gut or in skin breakouts? The cells of both organs turn over in 2-3 days in a normal person.

Does this also mean that rate of skin recovery after a breakout is an indicator that you are doing things right again?

----

Thanks.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Skin.........comes up many times.......and I have said three times in the last few blogs......neuroectoderm is brain and skin......is tied to the photoelectric effect: Vitamin A cycle and Vitamin D cycle...........you are assuming it only takes 2-3 days.......in you.......it does in a person with low NFkappabeta and IL-6 in tissues derived from these.......it means what you are assuming maybe not reality......this is why I advocating testing. When your on the road back you can not trust your own beliefs......use batteries of tests and keep your self constantly curious.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

And coldnight......Dave is inundated with EMF risk even though he thinks he is doing enough.......when you swim in it.......protection is an illusion of security.

6. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Late nights spent programming in the past obviously didn't help at all. Never again ...

You mentioned Vitamin D ... that motivated me to look back to my last lab panel (2 months ago -- when winter started) whereby I recorded a Vit D of a paltry 25ng/L. Serum ferritin was at 438ug/L in that same panel! At least my CRP was 0.5 and BUN/Creatinine ratio was 10.2 ...

Time to review the blog again and think about more intervention strategies.