1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Leaky Gut/Candida Die-off?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by kris90, Jun 21, 2016.

1. kris90

kris90 New Member

That is a good question @JanSz which I do not have an answer for. I don't know much about phospholipid synthesis.

JanSz likes this.
  2. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Here is an interesting take by Bill Lagakos
    http://caloriesproper.com/afternoon-diabetes-and-nutrient-partitioning-2/

Here is some summarys:

Summary: to minimize blood glucose excursions and proclivity for fat storage, eat more calories earlier in the day; this is circadian nutrient timing. And according to the Alves study, a low-carb protein-rich dinner best preserves lean tissue during weight loss.
    ConclusionsOptimal: eat more when the tissue-specific circadian regulation of insulin sensitivity is high in muscle and low in adipose = earlier in the day. If circadian mismatched, FIX IT[​IMG]… these biohacks simply won’t work as well in that condition.

Nutrient timing > CICO. Period… however, all of this is assuming a a plant-based, low net carb[​IMG], whole foods template. And a protein-rich breakfast; not typical breakfast food crap.

Don’t exacerbate afternoon diabetes with afternoon carbs.

Circadian biohackCollectively, these data suggest that skewing more calories earlier in the day, when insulin sensitivity is high in muscle and low in adipose, bodes better forbody composition and blood glucose control, and this doesn’t work if circadian arrhythmic or insulin resistant. Get some blue blockers[​IMG]… they won’t fix everything, but it’s a start.

3. kris90

kris90 New Member

I think a lot of those studies are garbage IMO, and the reason being is that feeding pattern is a peripheral clock, which means that it can be entrained/shifted quite easily. If your central clock is aligned with night/day light cycle, it doesn't matter how you choose to align your peripheral clocks: i.e. exercise, feeding, and sexual activity as long as these are done between sunrise and sunset because they are daytime activities after all.

The reason insulin sensitivity is highest in the morning is due to the spike in cortisol which is a glucocorticoid that allows the body to make glucose out of non-glucose substrates. Since the body is primarily burning glucose in the AM, insulin sensitivity is high, because the body is in a catabolic state (the brain is stealing glucose from its own tissue: muscle and fat). Whether you feed (eat breakfast) or not, insulin sensitivity will remain high until cortisol drops. When cortisol drops, insulin sensitivity also drops, because the body is burning less glucose in preparation for the night time fast at which point it switches to fatty acid oxidation. Basically, insulin and cortisol play together always.

So you have 2 choices for the morning: 1) you eat, or 2) you don't. With option 1) you will temporarily lower cortisol (because exogenous glucose eliminates the need for cortisol since its goal is to make glucose for the brain) thus disrupting its natural rhythm. As this occurs, insulin will dump whatever excess glucose makes it to the blood and into muscle or fat. Once done, and blood sugar levels drop back to baseline (or below), cortisol continues where it had left off in its usual circadian fashion, until the next meal, and so on and so forth. With option 2) cortisol continues its normal circadian rhythm, and insulin is there to keep blood sugar from rising too high. The difference between the 2 options is that option 2 does not disrupt the natural rhythm, where as option 1 does temporarily until the action of insulin is complete. Another difference is that option 2 will use endogenous sources of glucose (break down triglycerides from adipose tissue, and protein from muscle tissue) while option 1 will not.

So having high insulin sensitivity doesn't necessarily mean we SHOULD eat. It's just part of the normal circadian rhythm of glucose metabolism. The reason its higher in the morning is because the brain has its work cut out for itself first thing in the morning to start up all the daytime clocks with that "spark" that wakes us up in the morning, and the brain continues to require a lot of energy throughout the day thus it chooses the "high-powered" glucose metabolism.

Now, for dinner time. As the photonic power of the sun drops at sunset, glucose is spared and the body shifts to fatty acid metabolism. This is true regardless of meal selection for dinner. Because of this, the body becomes insulin resistant. Insulin resistance prevents blood sugar from dropping, so the brain has a steady supply of glucose throughout the night. So if you eat a large amount of sugar at night before bed, your blood sugar will simply remain elevated for longer than it would during the day, and it all has to do with cortisol. Cortisol is low in the evening, creating a more anabolic (muscle sparing) environment. Exogenous sugar at night enhances that anabolism, because it keeps exogenous glucose in circulation for the brain throughout most of the night time fast, and potentially prolongs the insulin resistance into the next morning (which is not a bad thing if one plans to fast/skip breakfast).

If you eat a high sugar meal before bed, and then eat a high sugar breakfast, you will probably have accumulative insulin resistance. If you continue that pattern, your insulin resistance becomes chronic, and can lead to metabolic syndrome and/or T2D. If you eat your sugar at night when insulin resistant, and push your first meal the following day to lunch time, then your insulin sensitivity will be re-established with that morning fast.

Make sense? I could explain this a lot better in person BTW :p

4. kris90

kris90 New Member

Basically, eating sugar disrupts the sympathetic nervous system activity (catabolic system) and turns on the parasympathetic nervous system (anabolic system).

On the contrary, not eating sugar (i.e. fasting) keeps the sympathetic nervous system active, while suppressing the parasympathetic nervous system.

There's no right or wrong for what you want to do. If you eat breakfast, you will temporarily switch the parasympathetic nervous system on until insulin lowers blood sugar, and sympathetic system re-engages rather quickly so we can continue daytime activities. But IMO, why bother disrupting that process when you have shit to do during the day? Keep that fight-or-flight going with no disruptions until it naturally wanes in the latter half of the day, and then refeed when your parasympathetic system (rest and digest) becomes more active. Besides, letting that cortisol wave ride out naturally without disruptions (i.e. fast during the day) you are catabolising your proteins which helps with autophagy, and by dinner time, your protein synthesis is highest, so eating your large protein meal at this time is extremely beneficial.

Does it make sense to eat your largest meal first thing in the morning when fight or flight system is on, and you might need to be "light" and "fast" to flee danger, or fight, or hunt? Or does it make more sense to eat your largest meal in the evening when your threat is naturally low, and the body can rest?

The only time food and what you eat becomes a problem is under a chronic disregulated circadian rhythm (light cycle). When your light cycle is synchronized, you have the flexibility to program your peripheral clocks. This is why @Jack Kruse knows that light trumps food, because when your light cycle is correct, food doesn't really matter much, just eat what and how much you want, because your primal instincts will always be intact when your body can tell the time, and you will eat the appropriate amount of food and no more.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Danco3636 likes this.
  5. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Does make sense the way you explain it and from an evolutionary perspective.
    Fasting most of the day, perhaps something light and then a feast or dinner gathering at or before sunrise from the food gathered and hunted. In this way your eating seasonally and within the light cycles.
    I just wonder how digestion impedes sleep but I would assume that that last meal would be around 3-4 hours before bed so as insulin can shut off and melatonin can upregulate.
    Then digestion continues through the night allowing rebuilding and preparation for the next day fast.

From one of Jacks blog postings:

For leptin to enter the brain, gherlin levels must be low, and this is why 4-5 hours post dinner is the best time for leptin to enter the brain.

The high protein and fats we eat at dinner diminish our appetite tremendously and this allows leptin released from your fat cells to enter the hypothalamus from midnight to 2 AM to send second messenger chemicals to the thyroid to allow us to burn excess calories stored in fat to be burned at the uncoupling proteins in muscles as we sleep in stage 3 and 4 sleep. Sleeping is the second critical way in which we increase our body composition. We use sleep to get rid of excess fat and calories, using T3, leptin and uncoupling proteins. During sleep, protein synthesis is also simultaneously occurring during the process of autophagy. This is when we recycle all our proteins that we used during the day cycle.

6. kris90

kris90 New Member

Yep, everything Jack said about leptin and thyroid is still going to occur, as long as you don't extend your day by keeping lights on at night like most people do.

I definitely think keeping a 4 hour period between last bite of dinner and sleep is wise, although I used to eat my dinners in darkness around 7:30 PM and go to bed nice and full at 9:30 PM and was the leanest I had ever been in my life. I think at the end of the day, the total period of fasting is all that really matters: i.e. skip breakfast, eat lunch and dinner, fast versus eat breakfast skip lunch, eat dinner fast, or eat breakfast, lunch, skip dinner, fast. As long as your central clock is synchronized with the light cycle, you won't overeat or undereat, oversleep or undersleep, and maintain appropriate energy levels throughout the day that taper off towards sunset.

Again, I personally like eating at the cortisol trough, pre-melatonin rise. I personally think mother nature gave us this transition period to eat our big meal, because cortisol is low = low stress at that time of day = improved digestion, and melatonin (which induces insulin resistance) has not yet began to rise. To me, it seems like you will eat just the right amount of food during this transition phase. But I am sure others do great skipping dinner and eating a big breakfast. I don't think it's an N=1, I moreso just think that anything related to our peripheral clock has the flexibility to be programmed so long as the central clock is ticking at the correct speed.

Exercise is another example: some do it in the AM, some do it in the afternoon, and some in the PM. If done in the AM when cortisol is already high, it will simply go even higher, but then return to its natural diurnal rhythm once the workout is finished. On the contrary, exercising towards the later half of the day will bring cortisol up higher than normal, but again will drop back down to its low level that it should be late in the day.

Mystic Rose60 and seanb4 like this.
  7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Ditto.

kris90 likes this.
  8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

KISS

Mystic Rose60 likes this.
  9. Mystic Rose60

Mystic Rose60 Let the sun shine on you :))

I keep it pretty simple here now. I have my BAB at around nine and I generally have my bone broth or DHA smoothie by three, which allows me at least 18 hours of intermittent fasting. Some days all I want is my BAB too. I try not to complicate things anymore.....just getting out in Nature to thrive has done wonders.

Danny and caroline like this.
  10. kris90

kris90 New Member

Yep, do what works best for you and what your instincts tell you.

I usually always feel better skipping breakfast and just having some coffee in the AM. If I do decide to eat breakfast (i.e. weekends cuz it's more fun), I find I crash hard if I include fats in the meal in addition to carbs. But if I go for all-you-can-eat pancakes smothered in syrup (i.e. high carb/low fat) I don't crash and can keep my productivity up during the day. For me, if I do eat during the day, I need to decide low carb/high fat, or high carb/low fat to avoid that crash. At night I eat a good amount of both carbs and fat, and I crash hard and feel extremely satiated which I want at night.

Danny likes this.
  11. drezy

drezy New Member

That's where I'm at sometime with or without the coffee. My body just doesn't have interest in breakfast even when I make breakfast for my wife and son. If I throw in a binge day, like on weekends with family, I'll have one "lag" day of desiring lunch before back to my dinner to dinner routine.

As a note I've been high fat low carb for years now. Since one of the messages here is food doesn't matter once you are connected, I decided to throw carbs at myself. Really crappy carbs (at least in my former thinking) like a bag of corn chips 3 evenings in a row. Result -- continued weight loss though I wasn't quite satisfied my my light mucous activity the following days. That little experiment started to show me the value of the "connected" concept.

12. kris90

kris90 New Member

Ya, I find carbs during the day are fine but without the fat. I eat 2 meals per day: lunch and dinner. Lunch is my small meal. It'll either be a high carb/low fat meal, or a low carb/high fat meal and is only about 1/4 of my caloric intake. Sometimes I'll have a bowl of oatmeal with honey and raisins and some orange juice with collagen protein, or I'll have eggs, cheese and some coconut butter.

Dinner is always mixed macros. Some sort of meat, carbs from either potatoes, sweet potatoes, organic bread, pasta, or rice, and some veggies. Usually add butter and/or coconut oil to everything. And dessert is usually swiss chocolate and/or quality ice cream like haagen dasz. I'll sometimes have a glass of red wine an hour or so after dinner.

13. drezy

drezy New Member

Full disclosure: You do realize that at 40 I read your posts and chuckle a little and think "Wait till you hit 40..."

Fuller disclosure: The second @JanSz reads this he'll likely be thinking "Wait till you hit 70's you babies..."

If you potentially could have grandkids older than me and you are fitter than most 30 year olds, I'm all ears to everything you say.

That said, do you have a goal for body composition going forward through the years? I was bulkiest around 27. A marriage, a kid, and life happened, and I've just shed some saddlebags and back down to around 13-14% body fat lean and mean mode. I think I'll start a "body composition" thread soon and would like you an Jan's take on this as well as the rest of the crew. Younger dudes and older dudes and dudettes commenting would be useful in my evolving mental perspective here. One of Jack's recent podcast where he points out huge NFL players that maintain a huge frame just don't live very long has me wondering how much bulk I should throw on my frame for longevity purposes.

14. kris90

kris90 New Member

Well I'm about to turn 27, and I honestly find it easy to stay lean. Does that mean I can eat 4000 calories a day? No. I only eat between 1800 and 2500 calories usually, so I'd say on average about 2200 calories. I eat when I'm hungry. If I follow the natural day/night cycle, I have less hunger. If I stay up a little later than normal (sometimes with friends on the weekend) I will be hungrier and eat a little more, but hunger is easy for me to fight. In fact, I feel good when I'm hungry. Makes me driven and motivated. But basically, my environment dictates whether my body wants to put on some fat, or stay lean.

I'm about 11% bodyfat right now, although last spring I was 7%. My diet was very high in saturated fat and starch, and low protein. Here is a pic:

[​IMG]

I did a lot of experimenting, so I know how to get back to 7%, and I am doing so slowly. The main reason for my increased bodyfat % was that I have been focusing on reversing my hypogonadism from fall 2016 to now, so I have been off my meds for a few months now. Unfortunately, towards the beginning of coming off my meds and making some tweaks, my levels fell below that of a 90 year old, and it really negatively impacted my body composition. But now my goal is to get back down to about 8%, medicine free, and it's coming. I've managed to increase my T levels by 4-fold in only 6 weeks.

Not too worried about becoming older. Now that I've learned what I learned, I've set myself and my family up for optimal health with the environment I have created for them. We live in the country now, with an acre of property surrounded by trees, and there is no WIFI signals available within our proximity. We spend the majority of our time outdoors on our back deck sunbathing or playing with my daughter on the grass or on her trampoline. We live a very connected life, and use the sun as our light, and follow its rhythm. I plan to do this for as long as I live.

Danny, caroline and JanSz like this.
  15. drezy

drezy New Member

Looks like you just out full disclosure'ed me by like 100% there Kris with your ripped-ness.

Questions:

Why choose 7-8% body fat as a goal? Do you compete?

Did you overtrain to get that issue or some other quirk specific to your situation (and thus not my business)?

Thumbs up on the home setting and especially the trampoline choice. Some of the coolest( and dumbest) stuff I've ever done was on a trampoline.

JanSz likes this.
  16. kris90

kris90 New Member

Haha. I was in an experimental phase during that photo, and what I was doing worked phenomenal for me, hence why I'm doing it again, but this time with the knowledge to back up WHY it actually worked.

I was super into bodybuilding in my early 20s, and no matter how hard I tried, I could never achieve that condition in my pic I posted. I would do high protein, and cut carbs and play with fat intake. I got decently lean with a restrictive diet, but it wasn't fun at all trying. I had ridiculous cravings, mood swings, low libido, etc. Plus I would train 5-6 days a week, and if I didn't get the results, I'd add in some cardio. So yes, I overtrained chronically, and went on high protein, low carb restrictive diets and it crashed my hormonal panel.

Fast forward a few years, and I went on HRT which wasn't TRT. I used HCG monotherapy to get my T levels back to midrange, and felt not too bad. Continued on with my bodybuilding lifestyle until last year. Not sure what changed last year, but I took a step back and dialed down training to weights 3x per week, and that was it. Lifting heavy in the 5-8 rep range, focusing on compound lifts with some accessory work. At the time, I also changed diet to include mostly fats and carbs, and brought my protein levels down to around 20% of calories, and set up a fasting schedule to eat my food from 1:00 PM to 8:00 PM. The result? I literally couldn't slow down the fat loss... I went from about 180 lbs @ 15% bodyfat to 160 lbs @ 7% in just a few months. I wasn't even trying to get as lean as I got, but it was just so effortless and I was eating the tastiest foods, never depriving myself. With this diet and training, I got my T levels into the top end of the range (mind you I was on meds).

So the reason for my 7-8% target is because I know I can maintain that level while still being healthy, because I've done it before and felt incredible. 0 feelings of starvation or fatigue or anything negative. Just a sense of wellbeing while I got strong as hell on my lifts, and fat melting off every night. But this time, it will be without any meds/HCG.

17. drezy

drezy New Member

Whoa, intense much? I'm glad you are dialing this in over time with experimentation. Your daughter is going to need you around.

I respectfully submit the idea that maybe you are not supposed to look like that *all* the time for the next 50 years.

18. kris90

kris90 New Member

Yes. Luckily, I got the bodybuilding stuff out of my system before my daughter came around. I NEVER want to see her obsessing over her body image.

It's possible. From now on, I'll just listen to my body. That's actually what I did when I got to 7%. Whereas whenever I ignored my bodily cues, I could never even dream about getting that lean. I truly believe the body and soul are capable of making all your decisions by the cues they give. Humans never listen anymore, because most are distracted by technology and materialism. We've forgotten that we have the ability to self-heal.

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Why did Bill link this to plants? could the answer be tied back to photosynthesis done by sunlight?

Response: gut microbiome diversity can be increased by many spices to create more frequencies of light release in the microbiome. As these spices/plants are utilized those frequencies of electromagnetic waves from sunlight that created these plants can be coupled and transferred to our gut cells using QED theory of molecular resonance energy transfer to innovate health. The mathematics that underpins this QED theory is KAM theory and it is ultimately tied to chaos theory from the 1960's. That theory gave us the famous "butterfly effect". Life is designed to live on the edge of chaos and far from equilibrium. The sun creates many electromagnetic waves between 250nm-700nm in the visible spectrum. These waves in light contain energy from our biosphere and transferred into plant foods and have to be harnessed and controlled in mitochondria so we can transfer that energy to structures that need it to innovate solutions to medical problems. Molecular transfer occurs via cycles that are coupled by QED theory. That is why all biologic rhythms are coupled in cycles. Circadian cycles being the most obvious one in the brain's SCN. We can couple those cycles in the retina and brain to the gut via the vagus nerve.

Danny and Danco3636 like this.
  20. JanSz

JanSz Gold

gut microbiome diversity can be increased by many spices

@Jack Kruse

Propionic acid Propanoic acid C3:0
    Butyric acid Butanoic acid C4:0
    Valeric acid Pentanoic acid C5:0
    Caproic acid Hexanoic acid C6:0

Octanoic Acid, C8:0
    Decenoic Acid, C10:1
    Decanoic Acid, C10:0 (capric acid)