1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

LDL particle issues

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by john0713, May 8, 2014.

1. john0713

john0713 New Member

I need help understanding why my LDL P and small particle counts are so extremely high and testosterone low. I usually eat between 40 and 70g of carbs per day and keep my daily calories to between 1700 and 2200 (6' 2" male, 206 lbs). I do crossfit 2x per week, sprint once a week, walk 5 to 6 miles a day. I don't snack, don't drink caffeine, and drink one or two glasses of wine a week. All beef is grass fed, eat seafood 4 or 5 times per week, and don't have any issues with excess appetite, so I normally eat two meals per day. I've been on my diet for about 5 months and have lost 4" from my waist and about 40 pounds. Generally I feel extremely healthy. I supplement with lugols iodine, 10 drops per day, transdermal magnesium, 40 sprays per day, 5,000 IU of D3 on days I don't get enough sun, a one a day vitamin, and fish oil.

Here are my recent lab results:

LDL PARTICLE NUMBER<1000 nmol/L3244
    Reference Range:
    ----------------
    Low: <1000
    Moderate: 1000-1299
    Borderline-High: 1300-1599
    High: 1600-2000
    Very High: >2000
    Sum Total LDL-C<100 mg/dL245
    LDL-C is inaccurate if patient is nonfasting.

Reference Range:
    ----------------
    Optimal: <100
    Near/Above Optimal: 100-129
    Borderline High: 130-159
    High: 160-189
    Very High: >=190
    HDL-C>=40 mg/dL54
    Triglycerides<150 mg/dL77
    Cholesterol<200 mg/dL314
    HDL PARTICLE NUMBER>=30.5 umol/L27.9
    LARGE HDL-P>=4.8 umol/L6.6
    TOTAL VLDL-C DIRECT<=2.7 nmol/L<0.8
    SMALL LDL PARTICLE NUMBER<=527 nmol/L1508
    REAL-LDL SIZE PATTERN>20.5 nm20.5
    HDL SIZE>=9.2 nm9.0
    VLDL Size<=46.6 nm35.2
    LP-IR SCORE<=4527

Testosterone, Serum (Total)300 - 890 ng/dL234
    Tanner Stage Male Female
    I < 30 ng/dL < 10 ng/dL
    II < 150 ng/dL < 30 ng/dL
    III 100-320 ng/dL < 35 ng/dL
    IV 200-970 ng/dL 15-40 ng/dL
    V/Adult 300-890 ng/dL 10-70 ng/dL
    Sex Hormone Binding Blobulin13 - 71 nmol/L49
    Testosterone, Free47.0 - 244.0 pg/mL34.8
    The concentration of free testosterone is derived from a mathematical
    expression based on constants for the binding of testosterone to sex
    hormone-binding globulin and albumin.
    % FREE TESTOSTERONE1.6 - 2.9 %1.5

OMEGA-3 (EPA+DHA) INDEX0.5 - 6.4 %7.5
    RISKLow
    The Omega-3 Index is associated with a low risk of cardiovascular
    disease because it is in the top population quartile. The Omega-3
    Index categories are based on the top (75th percentile) and bottom
    (25th percentile) quartiles of the reference population. Consumption
    of foods high in omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) or supplements
    containing omega-3 fatty acids can increase the Omega-3 Index.

Index <1.1: High
    Index 1.1-3.3: Moderate
    Index >3.3: Low
    OMEGA-6/OMEGA-3 RATIO1.3 - 12.01.5
    ARACHIDONIC ACID0.2 - 7.00.3
    EPA<2.3 %1.2
    DHA0.4 - 3.0 %6.2
    ARACHIDONIC ACID0.3 - 2.3 %0.3

TSH0.350 - 4.50 uIU/mL2.329

Vitamin D 25-OH Total30 - 89 ng/mL57

Sodium135 - 145 mEq/L138
    Potassium3.5 - 5.3 mEq/L4.8
    Chloride96 - 112 mEq/L102
    CO219 - 32 mEq/L24
    Glucose70 - 99 mg/dL80
    BUN6 - 23 mg/dL20
    Creatinine0.50 - 1.35 mg/dL1.15
    Total Bilirubin0.3 - 1.2 mg/dL0.7
    Alkaline Phosphatase39 - 117 U/L45
    AST (SGOT)0 - 37 U/L25
    ALT0 - 53 U/L26
    Total Protein6.0 - 8.3 g/dL7.2
    Albumin3.5 - 5.2 g/dL4.7
    Calcium8.4 - 10.5 mg/dL9.6
    EGFRAF>89
    EGFRNonAF81

WBC4.0 - 10.5 K/uL9.9
    RBC4.22 - 5.81 MIL/uL4.46
    Hemoglobin13.0 - 17.0 g/dL14.6
    Hematocrit39.0 - 52.0 %40.7
    MCV78.0 - 100.0 fL91.3
    MCH26.0 - 34.0 pg32.7
    MCHC30.0 - 36.0 g/dL35.9
    RDW11.5 - 15.5 %13.0
    Platelet Count150 - 400 K/uL272
    # Gran43 - 77 %69
    Granulocytes Abs1.7 - 7.7 K/uL6.8
    Lymphocytes, %12 - 46 %22
    Lymphocytes Absolute0.7 - 4.0 K/uL2.1
    % MONO3 - 12 %7
    Monocytes Absolute0.1 - 1.0 K/uL0.7
    Eosinophils0 - 5 %1
    Eos (Absolute Value)0.0 - 0.7 K/uL0.1
    Basophils %0 - 1 %1
    Basophils Absolute0.0 - 0.1 K/uL0.1

2. pregnenolone steal syndrome.....?
    do you have an ASI?

3. john0713

john0713 New Member

I had not heard of either before, but after a quick googling of pregnenolone steal syndrome it looks like it could be a culprit. My sleep has gotten much better but still occasionally falls below 8 hours. I do face other stress related to work that I've been trying to deal better with. After reading very briefly on ASI, it looks like I'll need to visit my doctor for this. Any good resources online you can recommend?

4. ditch crossfit and any sort of stressor.
    if the ASI shows altered cortisol, it is most likely pregnenolone steal syndrome. its in one of jacks blogs, http://jackkruse.com/hormone-cascade-101/

here is a main quote

Leptin resistance occurs first. Then insulin resistance happens next. This eventually leads to adrenal resistance. Cortisol is the stress hormone that allows for fight or flight syndrome (life or death). This is the hormone that allows you to run away from a hungry lion fast and live. Evolution always makes sure cortisol production stays ready for action at the expense of the other hormones that also are made from the same precursors. That precursor is pregnenolone. Pregnenolone is made from cholesterol, and cholesterol is made from LDL. So anytime the body is stressed or inflamed, it up-regulates cholesterol production to make more lifesaving hormones. It requires T3 and vitamin A as cofactors to complete this step. Blocking cholesterol production will increase cellular stress. This is why biochemically, to me, no statin drugs have ever made any sense under any circumstance in medicine. Moreover, this is why there is a chronic association of cancer to low cholesterol levels in the literature. If your cholesterol levels are low, you can not proper construct a mitotic spindle to pull apart your chromosomes correctly. This is why cancer rates have been shown to be higher in 11 studies on statins. This has been documented in the literature and the Great Cholesterol Con, by Anthony Colpo. In times of infection or stress, LDL levels always need to rise to protect the cell to make more cholesterol to make hormones and improve intracellular signaling.

i would start by ditching physical stressors like HIT/crossfit

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

^^^^Good advice.

Josh (Paleo Osteo) likes this.
  6. john0713

john0713 New Member

Thanks! I ordered an ASI and will post the results once i have them. Really appreciate the quick response!

7. good luck mate

8. Melanie Procter

Melanie Procter New Member

I was reading the Tilted Quilt post as I was researching cholesterol. It seems as it is important to both generate and hold a charge I think it would be interesting to do daily long term readings on ph to measure your "proton presence". In the Tilted Quilt blog, Jack wrote, "pH is a measure of proton presence. Protons are acids. Positively charged (+) protons gobble up the negative (-) electrons in our body to turn oxygen into water in our mitochondria. Failed oxygen delivery to tissues is the beginning of a spiral of descent into neolithic disease. As the photoelectric charge becomes reduced, less and less oxygen penetrates cells, creating bad news for you, and good news for your doctor!
    Stress lowers your pH because you are losing electrons to your environment in the form of bio-photons."

This is starting to make sense to us now due to current blogs.

9. john0713

john0713 New Member

I ordered an ASI but had to travel so haven't tested yet. But I've been exercise free since this post and also have been adding salt to my food and my morning water, and I feel an increased energy level and overall better. I am curious, based on Dr Kruse's quoted post on p steal, regarding my LP-IR score of 27, if I'm reading that correctly that hints that I'm not Leptin/Insulin resistant correct? "Leptin resistance occurs first. Then insulin resistance happens next. This eventually leads to adrenal resistance.Leptin resistance occurs first. Then insulin resistance happens next. This eventually leads to adrenal resistance." I'm guessing this probably isn't the cause of my potential adrenal fatigue; could salt deficiency or some other mineral deficiency be a legitimate cause? Also, I did do a pretty high intensity workout an hour or two before the original lab test. Could that reflect in the testosterone and LDL-P numbers so quickly?

Thanks again!

10. it can reflect that quickly yes
    ben greenfield did a good post on lab finidngs before and after a triathlon, similar stuff, cortisol went high, testosterone went low etc

11. john0713

john0713 New Member

It took a while to get my ASI, but here are the results (which appear to indicate nothing abnormal based on Diagnostech's sample values):

Cortisol:
    6 to 8 AM: 24
    11 to 1 PM: 8
    4 to 5 PM: 6
    10 to midnight: 3
    Cortisol load: 41

Pooled DHEA: 4 ng/ml

Insulin saliva fasting :love:

17-OH Progesterone 32

Total Salivary SIgA 13

Do you see anything in these to further support or disprove the theory of pregnenolone steal? Also, I did notice that my body temp is consistently around mid 97's. I have been skipping breakfast (intermittent fasting) for the past 4 months, so I wonder if maybe there isn't something related to weakened metabolism? Just grasping for straws at this point. I'll probably have the blood work done again to see if my workout the last day of testing had elevated the LDL-P and decreased the testosterone somehow.

12. what are the units for this test mate, in australia we use ng/mL...

13. the normal ranges for the test i use are roughly (for 33yo male such as myself):

morning: 3.7-9.5
    noon: 1.2-3.0
    evening: 0.6-1.9
    night: 0.4-1.0

the values can become different in functional mediicne depending on your size/weight etc etc

14. john0713

john0713 New Member

Sorry, for the ASI (free cortisol rhythm) it shows just nM. For DHEA it shows ng/ml, for progesterone pg/ml, for Total Salivary SIgA mg/dL

For the recommended values on this scale for cortisol my report lists:

morning: 13 to 24
    noon: 5 to 10
    evening: 3 to 8
    night: 1 to 4

So it seems scaled similarly. I'm just not sure what nM means as opposed to ng/mL. On this document: http://www.becomehealthynow.com/pdf...techs/lab_test_examples/asi_sample_report.pdf if you look at page 12 my report looks like that but with the values I posted.

15. looks like you fall in normal values for ASI then...upper end of normal in the morning, but i woud see that as good, as its when its meant to peak...

16. john0713

john0713 New Member

That's how I read it. I was just wondering if there might be another explanation for the low T and high LDL-P I initially reported. I'm thinking it must be an anomaly in testing since I did a high intensity workout an hour or two before the test, or possibly something related to low metabolism (since I've noticed my body temp is consistently in the mid 97's Fahrenheit). Either way, I think I should get my blood work done again. I did NMR, testosterone, and Omega 3/6 ratio; any others I should have them look at this time around? Thanks for your help by the way!

17. i would do it again without having the stressor so close to the lab test ;)