1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Lauren's Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by LaurenR, Jan 8, 2014.

1. LaurenR

LaurenR New Member

I am making my way through my 23andme snps results to try learn about each one.

COMT V158M(+/+)
    COMT H62H (+/+)
    impaired estrogen metabolism- yes
    increased risk of depression, anxiety- yes
    I came across this article regarding COMT and quercetin (which i have used for hayfever, allergy type symptoms). Interesting.
    http://www.jbc.org/content/271/3/1357.abstract

I was wondering about DIM or I3C to help

2. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I use DIM and Calcium d-glucarate for this. Same issues and SNPs as you.

3. LaurenR

LaurenR New Member

Yes I was wondering about calcium d-glucarate also. What does do you use (n=1)?
    Thanks

4. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Around 10 AM
    DIM
    1 tablet Calcium d-glucarate

7 PM-ish
    1 tablet Calcium d-glucarate

Hormone testing in June. Hoping this combo is helping to clear some excess estrogen, but my phase 2 is very slow...

5. LaurenR

LaurenR New Member

Great thank you. My phase 2 is slow but I left the results back in australia, and can't find the photo i took of them.

6. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

This came through my email this afternoon. MTHFR and Homocysteine - Part 1. There is an article and also a video to watch:

http://beyondmthfr.com/2014/05/22/mthfr-and-homocysteine-part-i/
    • Do you know what is a healthy homocysteine level?
    • Do you know what causes high homocysteine? or low homocysteine?
    • Do you know how homocysteine influences glutathione production?
    • Do you know why high homocysteine is such a negative for the body, esp. for the methylation cycle?
    • Bonus Question – What is the one thing we eat that raises homocysteine the most?

7. LaurenR

LaurenR New Member

Hacking my skin again.
    4 days no betamethasone 0.1% cream
    Cut pork, eggs and all veg except brussels sprouts, broccoli. Main protein salmon or lamb mince.

Sleep is gradually getting worse, and sleep time less.
    My skin is radiating intense heat.
    Feels like acid burning.
    Red, swollen.
    After shower wipe with bottled spring water. Trying beef tallow as cream.
    This is my inside forarm, bicep in image.
    photo.JPG

8. LaurenR

LaurenR New Member

I feel it is two conditions I am dealing with eczema in small patches- behind knee, and a patch on my wrist (laptop emf...) and hives or chronic uticaria potentially from mast cell activation disorder...or something else.

I am going to cut shellfish to see if there is any change to and limit histamine.
    Going to the doctor tomorrow, fingerscrossed they will test me. Two years too long.

I also put some cream on my arms since the i posted the pic :( too painful.

9. nicld

nicld Gold

10. LaurenR

LaurenR New Member

For sure, I have looked like this for 2.5 years and still no closer to an answer, except maybe now...

I will definitely give that cream a go!

Although I do not have all these

As per Dr Theoharides

Mast cell activation syndrome is mainly diagnosed on the basis of symptoms: (From a recent presentation)

(1) Dermatologic: flushing, pruritus, urticaria pigmentosa, angioedema, dermatographism (sometimes)

(2) Respiratory: wheezing, sore throat

(3) Cardiovascular: chest pain, hypotension, tachycardia

(4) Gastrointestinal: abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bloating, malabsorption, esophagitis

(5) Naso-ocular: nasal stuffiness, pruritus

(6) Neurologic: headache, memory and concentration difficulties/brain fog, paresthesia, peripheral neuropathy

(7) Muscoskeletal: bone/muscle pain, degenerative disc disease, osteoporosis/osteopenia

(8) Systemic: anaphylaxis, fatigue

So maybe it is histamine.

11. LaurenR

LaurenR New Member

For histamine the question is.. why mast cells release too much histamine?
    Some searching found this:

--An elevation in histamine would generally be associated with classic IgE allergies. I have only tested IgG.

--mast cell disorders respond to a wide range of triggers, which may include environmental chemicals, foods, temperature changes, medicine, smells, stress, viruses and fungi.

--Mast Cell Disorders are not the same as Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. But some people with MCS may be incorrectly diagnosed and actually have a mast cell disorder.
    I have have 5 day skin chemical tests and came up positive to numerous chemicals. This was back in 2011!

--The long list of symptoms associated with mast cell disorders can be found at the The Mastocytosis Society. Some people are called “shockers” because they go into anaphylactic shock when triggered, whereas others are called “leakers” because their mast cells slowly leak their contents causing chronic symptoms. The symptoms can range from mild to severe. There are specific medical treatments that help many people reduce the symptoms of mast cell disorders.

--genetic polymorphisms that can cause an upregulation of specific CBS genes, which may impact mast cell degranulation
    I have the SNP.

I feel like i am the closest to solving this in 3 years.

12. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Lauren, do you ever visit the ocean?

13. LaurenR

LaurenR New Member

Not since moving to London last August. We plan to move again, back to Oz or somewhere near the ocean.

If I showed you a pic of my skin last July on holiday in the Greek islands you would not recognise me :(

14. LaurenR

LaurenR New Member

Apparently there is a mast cell dr here in london...

15. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

But London is close to the North Sea, and to the English Channel...

16. LaurenR

LaurenR New Member

Yes you are right. I have always lived 5 minutes from the beach. No excuses though!

17. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

A day of grounding in saltwater at the seashore might give you some good results the next day.

LaurenR likes this.
  18. caroline

caroline Moderator

I am thinking EMF ..... that is what happens to me ... loss of electrons!

19. LaurenR

LaurenR New Member

I have had another new discovery. I was researching MCAD and all things mast cells and talking with sufferers in various online groups, when I was pointed in the direction of Topical Steroid Addiction/ Withdrawal.

My heart sank a little yesterday. I read the ITSAN site, http://www.itsan.org/eczema_questions_answered.html
    The symptoms. This is me. This was me in 2012 9 months into withdrawal and then I started using steroid creams almost daily...to now.

I felt a bit sick reading it all. The pain, the burn, the sleepless nights, the feeling of dying from the inside out.

I feel really sad. And scared. Healing is slow, really really slow. And I am scared to be in that amount of physical and emotional pain again...and for so much longer.

They recommend no sun during the initial flare.

I would really love to find a method of making this easier on my body. Maybe the magnetico would help. I am not sure if this would help with the nerve and blood vessel healing, I'm not sure.

They mention use of antihistamine tablets and sleeping pills- both of which I don't want to use.

I am worried about trashing my cortisol again from the itch/burn and histamine release and ruining my sleep.

Tough day.

Here is a clip from one of the leading Dr's in this field.

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

Thinking of you Lauren ......xo

LaurenR likes this.