1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

lactic acid and melanin

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by chocolate, Apr 25, 2012.

1. chocolate

chocolate Silver

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14756523

The inhibitory effect of glycolic acid and lactic acid on melanin synthesis in melanoma cells.

Usuki A, Ohashi A, Sato H, Ochiai Y, Ichihashi M, Funasaka Y.

Source

Division of Dermatology, Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan.

Abstract

Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) such as glycolic acid (GA) and lactic acid (LA) have been reported to be effective in treating pigmentary lesions such as melasma, solar lentigines, and postinflammatory hyperpigmentation. The mechanism of this effect might be due to epidermal remodeling and accelerated desquamation, which would result in quick pigment dispersion. However, the direct effect of AHAs on melanin synthesis has not yet been well studied. To elucidate such a direct effect of AHAs on melanogenesis, we performed melanin assays, growth curve determinations, Northern and Western blotting for melanogenic proteins [tyrosinase, tyrosinase related protein (TRP)-1 and TRP-2], and tyrosinase and, 4-dihydroxyphenylalaninechrome tautomerase enzyme activity assays using mouse B16 and human melanoma cells. GA or LA (at doses of 300 or 500 microg/ml) inhibited melanin formation in similar dose-dependent manner, without affecting cell growth. Although the mRNA and protein expression or molecular size of tyrosinase, TRP-1 and TRP-2 were not affected, tyrosinase activity was inhibited. To see whether GA and/or LA directly inhibit tyrosinase catalytic function, the effect of GA and LA on human tyrosinase purified from the melanosome-rich large granule fraction of human melanoma cells was performed. GA or LA were shown to inhibit tyrosinase enzyme activity directly, but this effect was not due to the acidity of GA or LA, because adjusting the pH to 5.6 (the pH of GA and LA at concentrations of 2500 microg/ml), did not affect tyrosinase activity. Taken together, these results show that GA and LA suppress melanin formation by directly inhibiting tyrosinase activity, an effect independent of their acidic nature. GA and LA might work on pigmentary lesions not only by accelerating the turnover of the epidermis but also by directly inhibiting melanin formation in melanocytes.

interesting link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_whitening

lohd2015 likes this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Cold increases........pigmentation in spots......

John Schumacher likes this.
  3. Charmane

Charmane New Member

Am I reading this right?
    Cold INCREASES pigmentation? Is that a good thing? Like does CT CAUSE pigmentation?
    Or does that just mean I should stay clearer of "cold weather zones" and be where it's usually much warmer? Is it "winter" that's causing more spots in people?

4. The "link" between Cold Thermogenesis and pigmentation is our Opin 3 sensitivity of blue light. https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2019/08/01/721381.full.pdf

Human nonvisual opsin 3 regulates pigmentation of epidermal melanocytes through functional interaction with melanocortin 1 receptor

5. Charmane

Charmane New Member

That last one is a heckuva heady article there! Can't really understand... not yet anyway.

*Is it that, if our fat-stores are inadequately "constructed," presumably because opsin3 has been messed up with artificial light (if the light surrounding us were "right," our fat-stores would be far more useful, perhaps even optimally so), cold-exposure can cause something like "pigment anomalies?"

If "yes," then that simply means we've got to get our whole selves into natural light as much as possible so that cold-exposure is not a problem? Given that I've probably still got a long way to go in terms of bettering my health, more new pigmented marks may show up for me as the years go forth... :/

I seem to have gotten my very first "liver spot" (I'm 52). It's on the inside of my right ankle. Just a faded brown spot; the skin as smooth as ever so it's not noticeable at all by touch. I'm wondering if it had anything to do with falling on the ice last month and being stuck indoors as the temperatures here went as low as 11 below zero. Every morning I opened my backdoor and took in the light for as long as I could stand both cold and pain... but that's all I could do. Otherwise, I was on the couch, resting, and getting on the laptop to challenge local stores to deliver groceries to my house despite all the ice. This spot seems to have shown up as soon as the weather got nice and I wasn't wearing 2 to 3 layers of pants anymore. I know the spot was not there on Wednesday, when I took a long magnesium salt bath and had my legs up on the wall in front of me. I wore a skirt and sandals to work on Friday, and didn't notice it then, either, but I got ready for work in a hurry. Saturday, I also wore a skirt/sandals and happened to glance down and see the spot, hoped it would wipe away, but it did not. Not thrilled, but at least it's not on my face or hands, and I think it's likely harmless enough.

I was fascinated with the fact that opsin3 is all over the surface of the skin and deep within the brain. Since cancerous brain tissue was removed from my right frontal lobe, the medical records say the tissue was brown in color. I'm now wondering about the pigment being "generated" within the tissue, if that makes sense. Could my brain possibly have "tried" to guard itself against the "wrong" light/frequencies coming into it? Oh my poor brain... I had no idea of how much damage I was risking... and taking...

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

WST-1 Cell Proliferation Assay is a sensitive and accurate assay for cell proliferation and cytotoxicity LDH cell membrane damage. The assay is highly convenient as it is performed in a single cell tissue culture well and requires no washing, harvesting, or solubilization of cells.

Adherent or suspension cells are cultured in a microplate and then incubated with WST-1 and the assay is monitored with a spectrophotometer. The assay principle is based upon the reduction of the tetrazolium salt WST-1 to formazan by cellular dehydrogenases. The generation of the dark yellow colored formazan is measured at 420-480nm (optimal at 440nm) and is directly correlated to cell number.

Charmane likes this.
  7. @Charmane - May I suggest, please consider purchasing a red & infrared devise for your "liver spot".

Red (660 nm) or near-infrared (810 nm) photobiomodulation stimulates, while blue (415 nm), green (540 nm) light inhibits proliferation in human adipose-derived stem cells – https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-07525-w
    upload_2021-3-29_8-58-28.png
    There are hundreds of studies like these:
    The current recommended product right now is the https://emr-tek.com/collections/red-light-therapy/products/firestorm

It will help more than just your ankle.

Charmane and JanSz like this.
  8. Charmane

Charmane New Member

Good to know. Looking forward to dropping, "WST-1 Cell Proliferation Assay," on my favorite nurse practitioner... ;)

9. Charmane

Charmane New Member

Just recently met the spouse of a red/nearIR practitioner here in town... looking forward to talking to both people more... Paying cash for my medical bills from my fall on February's ice during Oklahoma's "Arctic Vortex Whatever." Here in OK, "cash" cuts hospital/ER bills by 50%! :) Once cash-availability "normalizes," there are many indoor lights I want to collect. I can only get done what I can do. At least the sun's out again, and my job keeps me outside nearly 3 hours per day... then there are my sunrises in the morning, and back to barefoot-working in the yard...

10. Charmane

Charmane New Member

The current recommended product right now is the https://emr-tek.com/collections/red-light-therapy/products/firestorm

It will help more than just your ankle.[/QUOTE]

And thank you for this link. First time I've read about this company (...I think... The vitiligo-experience of the owner sounded familiar somehow). I've been using an UVB lamp all this winter, just at solar noon on weekends (barely at about 10am on weekdays). I also have just ordinary red incandescents all over the house and I leave them on during the daytime, and they're my only light source in most rooms at night (there are a few orange/yellow ones around here, too, and yellow-ish incandescents in the kitchen that I use with my blue-blockers on when I'm cleaning up after winter's sunset).

I'm quite fascinated by the idea of Vitamin D AND magnesium levels rising when inflammation goes down! It's like these things are "free-er to be" once healing takes hold. How beautiful is that?!

Let's see if this link works, just in case folks wanna know what I was reading:
    https://emr-tek.com/blogs/news/red-...tatus-my-current-understanding-updated-part-2

Just forwarded the abstract regarding red/nearIR for TMJ-disorder to a friend of mine often in a lot of pain from this, currently undergoing LVI therapy (sp?), so thanks for that, too.

11. Yes - the link above works
    Alignment of the back teeth is a bigger issue than most doctors realize.
    Will photobiomodulation help? most likely ->

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  12. Charmane

Charmane New Member

UPDATE: That brown spot totally disappeared. Another one appeared the very next spring. Turns out that spring had just begun, and it turned out that a mosquito-bite from the previous summer or fall (that I'd scratched until it bled) had totally healed. As soon as I started getting my skin in the sun again, the healed spot tanned faster than the rest of me. The only reason I figured it out: in March of 2022, a brand new "brown spot" (also on my ankle) was in a narrow "v"-shape, and I remembered the scab from last autumn. And now, that mark is gone, too. :)