1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

labs

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by danniellethatcher@gmail.com, Oct 15, 2012.

1. hi there... hoping someone here can give me some info or input. have been on Armour for probably 4 months, held at 90mg with little to no effect. Doctor would not raise it. But she did decide to switch me to synthroid 75 mg 1 x day and cytomel 5mcg 2 x a day.(just started them today) here are my labs:

TSH 0.06, RANGE 0.40-4.5

TESTOSTERONE FREE 1.5, range 0.2-5.0

VIT D, 25 hydroxy 38, range 30-100

MAG RBC 4.1, range 4-6.4

T4, FREE 0.9, range 0.8-1.8

T3, FREE 3.0, RANGE 2.3-4.2

T3 REVERSE 19, RANGE 11-32

SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOBULIN 101 , RANGE 17-124

HEMOGLOBIN 11.6, RANGE 11.7-15.5

IRON, TOTAL 146, RANGE 40-175

IRON BIDING CAPACITY 304, RANGE 250-450,

%SATURATION 48, RANGE 15-50

FERRETIN 50, RANGE 10-232

DHEA 58, range 25-220

PROGESTERONE 13.5 (hysterectomy.. was told this was good)

ESTRADIOL 121(NOT SURE WHERE IN PHASE)

IGF I, LC/MS 139 RANGE 52-328.

TAKING 5-10k DAILY VITAMIN D. DEALING WITH LEAKY GUT AND MALABSORBTION ISSUES. TAKING 3 DIFFERENT TYPES OF MAGNESIUM DAILY AS WELL.

any thoughts??? TAKING 25 MG OF IRON, 80MG PROGESTERONE, CARRY THE MTHFR GENE, METHYL PROTECT B VITAMINS

2. AKMan

AKMan New Member

Here's what I think is going on:

The Armour wasn't high enough for you to build up a good supply of T4, or you weren't absorbing it for some reason.

Your labs are indicating that you are responding to the exogenous T3. However, T3 is very short lived in the body, after 8 hours it is all gone and since you aren't getting enough T4, you have nothing to convert to T3 after the T3 you took in pill form is gone from your system.

Your TSH is very good because your average T3 levels are good.

I have found through my own labs that it takes about 3-5 weeks to build up a good supply of T4, so I think your doctor made a wise decision to switch you off Armour. He probably could have also upped your Armour to 120mg/day and had you take it 4 times a day.

The trouble with Armour, as seen by most CW doctors is that it contains a higher ratio of T3 to T4 as is found in normal humans.

I was on Synthroid for about 6 years and did fine on it. Hopefully you are scheduled to retest in 3-5 weeks.

3. 90mg (1 1/2 grains) of Armour is a very low dose. Most people who are on an NDT feel best between 2 1/2 - 5 grains. Personally I wouldn't take Synthroid or a synthetic T4. If your body has trouble converting the FT4 to FT3 (which could be the case with a leaky gut) the T4 isn't going to do you much good since the FT3 is the bioavailable thyroid hormone.

I felt extremely hypo on 90mg. I ended up at 150mg feeling good with labs that showed my FT3 was in the very top of the range. My TSH was .008, very low. I have Hashis so that TSH is irrelevant not to mention that when taking NDT it is suppressed anyway.

If your adrenals are bad you may not be able to tolerate all the thyroid meds. Those should be treated as well. What are your adrenals doing these days?

I went through 5 total docs before I found one who would treat me the proper way for my thyroid. I think you need a new doc.

4. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

I think I would start shopping for a new doctor. 60mg or Armour = 38mcg T4 plus 9mg T3.

So your Armour dose of T4 was 57mcg T4, and 13.5mg T3

Now you will be taking 75 T4 and 10mg T3

Your T4 labs are pretty low, and I don't expect the move from 57 to 75 will do much for that. Meanwhile your lifeline, the T3, is being reduced. How soon had you taken your Armour (and how much) prior to the blood draw? Are you symptomatic of being hypoT?