1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Labs and relationship between cholesterol levels, hormones and sex hormone binding

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by mamadell, Jan 21, 2014.

1. mamadell

mamadell Gold

new to this forum and to the paleo diet and way of life
    just had a full lab report done and can't seem to find a doc in my area that can support me in coming into balance while addressing the cause and not the symptoms
    i am 51 , in good shape, 118 lbs and am going thru menopause ...cycles are irregular
    the lab values that concern me, are as follows :

total cholesterol 331
    LDL cholesterol 239
    HDL cholesterol 72
    triglycerides 64
    non HDL chol. ( LDL + VLDL ) 259
    apoB100-calc 157
    LDL-R ( real) 202
    IDL cholesterol 28
    Remnant Lipo ( IDL + VLDL3 ) 40

good thing is that my LDL are large buoyant

Hormone panel :
    serum testosterone 27
    free testosterone <0.2
    progesterone 1.8
    estradiol 222
    dhea 196
    total estrogens 391 HIGH
    sex hormone binding globulin 162 HIGH

Thyroid panel :
    TSH 1.21
    T3 free serum 2.5
    T4 free direct 1.51
    reverse T3 16.1

Other values of interest :
    glucose, serum 81
    cortisol 10
    prolactin 15.1
    IGF-1 167
    VIT.D 57.3
    C-reactive Protein 0.11

i have had high cholesterol levels for 20 years and have noticed that the total levels are going up as i get older.
    since entering menopause, my hormone levels go in and out of balance but the numbers on my sex hormone binding globulin keep going up ?
    my i guess my liver is producing excess cholesterol and SHBG but why ?
    currently i am following a paleo diet but before that i was mostly vegan
    any insight would be greatly appreciated
    thank you

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Start here for understanding how cholesterol and steroid hormones are connected - http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?9236-Lipids-and-Cortisol

SHBG - indicates how well you're clearing estrogens. looking at your estrogen/estridol you're not clearing estrogen properly. you probably also have some methylation issues.

Are you taking BHRT? you might need to consider finding a good BHRT doc to help.

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi mamadell and welcome. Are you following the leptin reset using the epi paleo template? Do you have Dr. K's book? The Epi-Paleo RX: The prescription for Disease Reversal and Optimal Health. It has a good section on labs.

4. mamadell

mamadell Gold

thanks for the replies :)
    i just started taking BHRT but don't want to take , long term.. would rather try to balance my hormones, naturally.
    i've been told that i have some liver blood stagnation issues which would explain possible methylation issues..will look into that..thanks !

5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

am going thru menopause ...cycles are irregular
    progesterone 1.8-----------may be low or ok, depends------------when was blood drawn in relation to day #1 of your cycle, how long was that cycle?
    estradiol 222 ------------------------high
    dhea 196 --------------------------low
    total estrogens 391 -----------------high
    sex hormone binding globulin 162 HIGH
    cortisol 10---------------------------low (what time was blood drawn)
    currently i am following a paleo diet but before that i was mostly vegan ------ go for (Epi-Paleo-RX) + (CT)+ be diligent about maintaining good Circadian Rhythm

There are limits when attempting natural hormonal balance, that mostly apply to hormones that correlate with circadian rhythm (cortisol, melatonin), most other steroid hormones you should manage for life.

BHRT, describe what are you taking
    ==============================================================
    DHEAs(Women 275-400) μg/dL
    pregnenolone(<151)ng/dL

Easiest way to make some dent in high cholesterol would be to take pills and incerase pregnenolone and DHEAs to values close to the top ranges as above.
    Any DHEA pills would do, but be consistent with manufacturer pills that you use.
    My self I have good experience with pregnenolone Micronized Lipid Matrix from Nutricology.

That may also increase your low cortisol and help with progesterone management during cycle.

You have very high SHBG. SHBG binds testosterone and estrogens. Will be hard to lower high estrogens.
    OTOH, estrogens may go lower if you work on their excretion rate.
    Eat cruciferous vegetables, add som calcium-D-glutarate.
    Eventually you may need to use Arimidex (prescription drug, aromatase inhibitor), but that latter.

-------------------------------------
    http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?6427-PG-E2-ratio

Consider getting this two tests done, sooner, better:
    scan each page, post it.

Spectracell Comprehensive Nutritional Panel
    http://www.healthremedies.com/intracellular_vitamin_analysis_spectracell.html
    Price: $350.00

At labCorp or Mayo Clinic
    Fatty Acid Profile, Comprehensive (C8-C26), Serum
    insurance should pay for this test.

//////////////
    check

homocysteine
    B12
    B6
    Folic Acid

The last three are part of Spectracell, may skip in blood testing.
    ////////

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  6. mamadell

mamadell Gold

this bloodwork was drawn first thing in the morning after fasting 12 hours. Was drawn 21 days into my cycle
    the BHRT i have been taking now for a week is progesterone 100 mg, E3 at 4 mg and testosterone at 2.5 mg
    the progesterone definitely makes a difference but something is off ...since i have been taking 1 every morning , for a week...i have severe hot flashes and can't sleep at all. this only occurred since taking this pill . After talking with my doctor yesterday, she wanted to change the formula by adding 1 mg of estradiol ? which doesn't make sense to me since my levels are high to begin with..
    thanks for all the info and suggestions...would do more bloodwork but my insurance doesn't cover most of it

7. mamadell

mamadell Gold

JanSZ
    thanks for your input..appreciate it
    what is your opinion around red rice yeast supplementation ? i have taken it several times along with CoQ10 and no-flush Niacin for high cholesterol but have an adverse reaction to it... i know cholesterol is needed for healthy inflammatory response but is there a place where the numbers can be too high ? I was taken pregnenolone and DHEA and stopped because my doctor here told me never to take them....arghhhh... hard to find doctors to work with here in Sedona

8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Do not take any statins, including Red Yeast Rice.
    Get your DHEAs to the top of range in my previous post. You have to figure out the dose by trial and error.
    Do not supplement with Estradiol, get another doctor.

Your high SHBG may get better, lower, when you dial in thyroid hormone panel.

100mg progesterone pill, that is likely Prometrium.
    Take it at bed time.
    Blood was drawn 21 days into cycle, progesterone=1.8, but it should have been around (15 -20)(fifteen- twenty) or more due to high estradiol 222
    You likely will need 200mg progesterone at least when you are in high progesterone time in your cycle.

But, you have one more choice that also is more natural.
    Check your pregnenolone, likely it is low.
    If it is low, supplement with
    pregnenolone Micronized Lipid Matrix from Nutricology 150 mg tabs

doing that you would not only raise pregnenolone but also progesterone.

Eventually, you must recall that
    pregnenolone
    progesterone
    cortisol
    are on the same metabolic line.

My self (I am a man) I supplement with pregnenolone and my pregnenolone dose is such that my
    cortisol(7:30AM)=22

your cortisol=10
    you are missing half cortisol.

Look up my previous post on how to speed up estrogen metabolization.
    also this:
    http://www.fusionhealthstudio.com/estrogen-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

--------
    T3 free serum 2.5
    reverse T3 16.1

FT3/RT3=15.5 ----------A healthy FT3/RT3 ratio is 20 or greater.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    mamadell likes this.