1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

L Tryptophan

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by Verena1028, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Verena1028

Verena1028 New Member

I took 900mg L-Tryptophan for some month in the late evening tlast year to improve my sleep,
    I consider taking it again, because it worked really very well!
    Is there any argument against?
    ( And I think it istn t like snacking, because its only an aminomacid?)

Michael CULLEN likes this.
  2. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

It should only really be used as a patch until you improve your environment.

3. Verena1028

Verena1028 New Member

posted it long ago, but thx :)

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  4. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Lol! Better late than never!
    Plus other it helps other "googlers".
    Happy New Year!

Martha Ray likes this.
  5. Martha Ray

Martha Ray Martha Ray, New Member

Thanks Cpt.Tired, I am improving my environment ....
    RE: L-Tryptophan as a supplement For about 6 months I was taking
    Lidtke brand L-Tryptophan every other night- because a Cardio Ion Test indicated I was very Low.
    I stopped about Nov 15, 2015 as I was not sure about the information I read in this article:

Lesser Known Facts About Tryptophan Side Effects, The Case Against Taking L-Tryptophan Supplements
    https://www.supplements-and-health.com/tryptophan-side-effects.html

I was not sure of the motivation behind this article and I thought that it might be unfair bias but I did stop taking it because I was also having some nightmares on the nights I took it.

Flash forward to about a year ago I found a 100% Food Supplement, Vegetarian Tryptophan

Item No. 797 - By Food Research and I've been taking it occasionally and feel it does helps my sleep and causing pleasant dreaming.

I really need to retest and study L-Tryptophan more to reevaluate. Because I only want to supplement what I really need and or only take supplements short term or as needed.
    I'd like to know what some others think of that article and what they might know about the pros and cons of supplementing with L-Tryptophan.

RE: Sleep
    Keeping room very cold, (IBT) Incline Bed Therapy and Mouth Taping at bedtime have all greatly helped our sleep in the past few years.

Sweet Dreams.

6. Penny

Penny New Member

l-triptophan binds at 340 nm - the UV spectrum - if I were to take it, I would take it in the sun or run a UV light - use black out shades and expose your body to the UV light - it will knock you out - I have also been experimenting with inositol - really good - but a cold room seems to be everything - I would use 5-http instead of tryptophan - and one might also try with it P5P - which emits light like the sun...

MITpowered26 and Martha Ray like this.
  7. Martha Ray

Thank you Penny "it will knock you out' as in put you to sleep, right? I don't know a good UV Light...Can you recommend one?

I have and older GoLite M2 that I used to use for SAD ..not sure if still works or it is useful.

I used to use 5-htp but never had much result from it..may alternate and try with P5P. I also take GABA product Zen Mind sometimes especially when I travel.

I took Food Research 100% food Inositol called Inositol Complex (see below) for a year or so...based on something I read in Dr. Ben Lynch's Dirty Geens book. I'm not low in it per my recent SpectraCell test 77 in >58 range. Is it good for sleep ? Did you know if your were low or borderline in it?

..cold room I do... but I can't go to sleep if my extrimities are cold ...mostly my nose and feet. They have to be comfortable or getting to sleep is hindered. And sometimes my feet feel being cold to the bone...strange feeling. I am mildly hypothyroid not sure if that is a factor with cold feet.
    Inositol Complex ...Not sure why they called it a Complex but it does have palm kernel and silica listed as Other ingredients.
    Item No. 455 - By Food Research https://www.buyfoodresearch.com/products/inositol-complex?_pos=1&_sid=5107aab9b&_ss=r
    • Supports emotional well being
    • Eases stress and anxiety
    • Promotes positive mood
    • Lipotrophic factor

Again Thanks for your comments !

8. Penny

Penny New Member

I just use the reptile light from Petco - but it's kind of bright - the UV light that JK recommends is really difficult to find - but my standard routine for sleep these days is: one can of oysters with garlic and siracha and turmeric/black pepper - chase it with 6 Kalamata olives (=salt) - one glass of Kirkland Malbec ($6.99/bottle and it's good) - then do not go to bed early - if you do the oysters too late (short of 3 hours of sleep) take a digestive enzyme so it doesn't screw up sleep... sometimes I add natto powder to a glass of water and drink it - but then before bed I do l-serine/magnesium citrate/inositol - all of these, I buy by the sack... just the straight powder... I was doing passion flower which is also great to knock you out - and now I have passion flower leaves (by the sack) and it appears to be too much of an effort to make the tea... but passion flower is great to take the edge off... when I get to bed, I read with a lamp that is red incandescent and I may or may not have the overhead light on - usually before bed, I play the piano and guitar - no screen time... lots of times I wake up with my hand still holding the book open... also, have a cool room and I use black out shades - the following is all micro ingredients brand...

Micro Ingredients Pure Inositol Powder, Inositol B8 Powder, 1KG (2.2 Pounds), Strongly Supports Liver Health & Antioxidant, Super Inositol for Hair and Inositol for

US Origin Pure Magnesium Citrate Powder, 2 Pounds (32 Ounce), Powerfully Supports Cardiovascular Function, Relaxation and Nutrient Utilization, No GMOs and Vegan Friendly

Pure L Serine Powder, 500 Grams, Supports Production of L-Cystine, L-Tryptophan and Serotonin for Brain, No GMOs, No Gluten
    Brand: MICROINGREDIENTS

Here is the natto powder - you can actually ferment yogurt with this too - great for K2 and gut flora...
    https://www.amazon.com/Soybean-Natu...c&sr=1-1-526ea17f-3f73-4b50-8cd8-6acff948fa5a

These sacks will last you a very long time...

I also swim in the ocean in the afternoon a few times per week - which is very helpful for inflammation - oh, and when I take a shower, I rub epsom salts and baking soda all over my body - you can do a foot soak if you like -

Sometimes I use lavender essential oil and progesterone cream when I remember...
    NOW Solutions, Natural Progesterone, Balancing Skin Cream, 20 mg of Natural Progesterone Per Pump, Unscented, 3-Ounce

It is important to get out into the sun during the day and use blue light blockers at night - no led lights anywhere - plus see the sunrise/sunset - lots of times I will actually fall asleep watching the sun set... :)

God loves you likes this.
  9. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

I'm also hacking inositol, but the supplement you mention is very low dose. I started a thread https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/biohacking-inositol.25081/ with some links to some info.

http://www.ip-6.net/files/77513690.pdf links myo-inositol to IP6. I'm on about 2 grams of inositol powder a day, split into 2 doses, usually mixed with San Pellegrino. Found the right timings for the second dose to improve sleep (which I thought was good anyway). I'm also now tweaking a chocolate recipe using dark choc (at least 85%), plus cocoa powder, walnuts or almonds (all for the phytic acid/IP6), cocoa butter for the stearic acid, and "sweetened" with inositol powder. :)

10. Penny

Penny New Member

Um, what do you mean by low dose? It's a 2 kg sack of inositol powder... and my death star for sleep is chocolate anytime after morning... I throw around a tsp into my mag/serine mixture... you must mean myo-inositol is more potent? thanks:)

11. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

I was replying to Martha's post, referring to the supplement she linked to, each tablet 100mg in 400mg of food. :) I'm not going to get started on the labelling ....:shhh::shhh::D

12. Penny

Penny New Member

oh thanks - that makes more sense - I think this sack of inositol says 2 spoonfuls of 600mg apiece...

13. Martha Ray

Yes, Sue Thank you for your reply.... Food Research brand is Low Dose and they have funky labeling but it is from100% food with no fillers and they claim their products are more absorable... I know little about Inositol but got interested and took it for a while after reading about it in Ben Lynch's book Dirty Genes..... your recipe sounds yummy but I am trying to eat lower oxalate right now.

I will mention that my recent Spectracell Micronutirent testing improved over the last few years of following Dr. Jack Kruse and using Food Research products...most likely lots of factors for the improvements but I have also felt better on the 100% food supplements so I'm still favoring them.

Again Thank you... I will review your Biohacking inositol thread to learn more about Inositol.