1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Kruse is deadly wrong in condemning all high intensity exercise.

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by LightForTheNight, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightForTheNight

LightForTheNight New Member

PS this was supposed to get posted in moster thread, not adrenal RX, appreciate if it could be moved.

Mitochondrial redox state correlates with Ca2+ spark activity. Ca2+ sparks develop fastest in fibers poor in mitochondria and slowest in cells rich in mitochondria. The appearance of ca2+ sparks in permeabilized skeletal muscle cells depends on the fibre's oxidative strength and that misbalance between mitochondial ROS production and the fibre's ability to fight oxidative stress is likely to be responsible for unmasking ca2+ sparks in skinned preperations.

Skeletal muscle depends on ATP supply to meet its energy demands. There are three major sources of ATP in muscle: creatine phosphate, anaerobix glycolysis and oxidative phosphorylation. The relative contribution of each ATP source varies among muscle fibre types. Type 1 (slow-twitch, oxidative) and type IIa (fast-twitch, glycotic-oxidative) fibres are rich in mitochondria. They rely for their ATP production on oxidative phosphorylation. In contrast, type IIb (fast-twitch, glycolytic) fibres, are MITOCHONDRIA POOR and have very effective glycolytic ATP sythesis.

What this means is that fast twitch musles correlate with Mitochondrial REDOX state. If you want to build a strong mitochondrial base FOR YOUR BODY, if you want health then working out type IIb fibres is one of the single best things you can do for yourself (period).

During short intense exercise, glycogen in the muscle is used up (by IIb fibres).
    Sugar is then shuttled to these cells and all is well.
    However if glycogen stores are never depleted sugar gets shunted into fat instead, resulting in obesity.

Depleting glycogen activates hormone sensitive lipase so that fats are mobilised from body stores and made available for energy supply (good for people trying to lose fat).
    If sugar in the blood stream following a meal cannot be taken up because glycogen stres are full, then this excess sugar sticks on to other things creating Advanced Glycation End products or AGE's , which accelerate the normal aging process. One such example is glycosylated haemoglobin which is measured to assess blood sugar control in diabetics.

Good fast twitch fibres = good mitochondrial function = good cardiovascular fitness.

Look, Jack has great ideas, and I've learned a ton about the ETC, mitochondria and circadian biology. And I think, no I KNOW he is right that it is at the ROOT of neolithic disease. But this bullshit he preaches about waiting 2 years to become leptin sensitive is crap. He is probably right that we need electron dense foods and most his advice is good-great BUT HIGH intensity exercise, for a VERY short duration is only going to result in MORE fast twitch IIb fibres, which is going to be positively correlated with mitochondrial REDOX state. This means keeping calcium where it needs to be and exceptional CARDIOVASCULAR health.

Do NOT think that I'm advocating endurance training, or any crap like Cross Fit. I'm saying that very short duration HIGH intensity exercises are ESSENTIAL for sublime mitochondrial function and I don't give a sh*t what Jack says, he is WRONG, he might be right about limiting carbs, but he is DEAD wrong about avoiding all high intensity very short duration exercises. I fully expect this to be deleted as I'm right and it contradicts Jack who seems to have Alec Baldwin's God Complex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g2dkDh4ov4

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  2. curious, do you think the genetic base of having more or less fast twitch/slow twitch fibres make a difference? As in if someone does a full genetic profile, and finds out they have lots of fast or Slow fibres - should that play into what exercise is most beneficial for overall health?

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Funny that is not what I said.......it is what you thought you heard.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I have a huge issue with cross fit........it is not a good thing for anyone to do. EMF 4 shows you specifically why.

5. tellmisty

tellmisty Administrator

If you've registered for the Optimal Reset, you would have received a PDF of Optimizing Labs that included notes on the VO2 Max test. We included a table in there to show you how to incorporate exercise and HIIT training into your program, based on your lab results. So ... I'm not sure to what you are referring, re: Jack not recommending HIIT training. He's done so extensively on the blog; he considers your labs / health, though, before he carte blanche recommends it.

6. freesia

freesia Old Member

In the time it took the original poster to pull up that nice little video he could have done just a little bit of research and saved himself a whole bunch of unnecessary ATP-depleting knicker twisting.

Handy hints in no particular order: Read the blogs. Calm down.

7. Seriously, ATP-depleting knicker twisting is my new favorite phrase. I am stealing! And I like the older Alec Baldwin better.

When I lived in Cali, Stephen Baldwin helped me change a flat tire once. I about passed out from excitement, the baldwin blue eyes were something to behold.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
  8. LightForTheNight

LightForTheNight New Member

@caveman, a person's slow twitch:fast-twitch:super fast twitch is definitely changeable over your lifetime. I don't have the studies off hand but if you want them I'll find them.

@tellmisty, vo2 max is fine to measure but it's not necessarily predictive of mitochondrial function. A marathon runner may score very high on vo2 max because slow twitch muscle fibers are so much denser in mitochondria than fast twitch and will TF give you a higher vo2 max score, this is not predictive of health realistically though. What you want is Efficienct mitochondria, which is indicated by things other than vo2 max, maybe cytochrome - c for example.

Jack has said point blank that HIIT is not for people who are leptin resistant and I disagree ENTIRELY with that statement, HIIT increases insulin and Leptin sensitivity and lowers resting glucose.

@Jack Kruse I acknowledged in my thread that I disagree with both cross-fit and endurance exercises, as I consider them one and the same. I don't need to be shown why, you do a good job at proving it, but I already know they are bad... And you, JACK KRUSE, said the words "Not if your LR...........it means you need more electrons......before you can lose them again" in response to "Aren't anaerobic exercises like HIIT good for mitochondrial function?". TF telling the VAST majority of obese and overweight individuals NOT to do HIIT. What you said leaves little room for misinterpretation and I'm upset that you acuse me of responding to what I heard and not what you said, I am most definitely responding to what you said.

@freesia Okay, I've been following this blog since about the same time as you and have read most of Jack's blogs, enough to know what his public pov on the subject is, I'm not sure what you're implying I missed?

Look, Jack, you are going into great detail with a lot of these processes and that's great, but you are seriously touting these semi-bogus claims which include grounding and basing everything on diet. Sure maybe you eventually say that people who have already become leptin sensitive should maybe try HIIT, but that's bogus, this is information people should hear right away. It immediately will help the vast majority of your followers to improve mitochondrial function and it just really pisses me off that you have so much great information and then come to such seemingly inadequate conclusions.

How about if you want to increase mitochondrial function and live in a reduced state you start incorporating 15-25 second all out bursts of energy followed by a 1-2 minute rest repeated 5-6 times a few times a week? Your information is only as good as the results it gets people, body recomposition is what most people need for health body recomposition without sacrificing their overall health. If anyone seriously wants to improve their mitochondrial function by dramatic figures they should be doing activities that increase IIb fibres, such as a program possibly like Sprint 8 or something comparable.

The things you are recommending people do are a 6 on a scale from 1-10. If you start seriously looking into this and suggesting it to people that'll change to a 9/10. If you seriously care about helping people you'll incorporate some serious protocols instead of this hippy grounding crap.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  9. @lightforthenight - I ask because my understanding is that we come with a majority of one or the other - and that the chain of events actually plays out differently depending on this balance. . .

I am not of the mind that HIIT is for all at all times. If you are exercising, then I think HIIT is the way to go.

10. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

I think he just recommended no HIIT for ppl doing the reset and/or with adrenal problems. I think after that is sorted out he advocates for it once you have gotten to a certain point. I really think for myself based on my personal experiences it would NOT have been good for me to be doing ANY exercise in Nov. 2011. But now I'm ready again. (I'm pretty sure) :)

D-ribose. I caved and bought some (with money I got from gift card sale haha). I tried 10g w/ drink @ 2pm. My hands actually warmed up. I don't know if it works like this but I have noticed an increase in my appetite in about the hour and half. So I am reckoning that if my cells got some d-ribose and they liked it they are asking for more rather than 'hungry for food'. If that makes sense. I am making some tea and will put more in. I will keep experimenting.

Also when people talked about the taste and smell. +1 on the burnt marshmallow smell and +1 for it providing just the right amount of sweetness to a beverage. I think it will be my new 'sugar'. *crosses fingers that I will see a continued benefit and not just a one day honeymoon* lol

11. Zorica Vuletic

O I didn't see this post before my previous comment. Very good point. I do think that for some adrenal fatigue cases it's still not a good idea to do HIIT unless if they are getting some proper help for their problem (which I did not have at the time) So in that case either time in and of itself and/or some supps/Rx to help from the start with HIIT it could help tremendously) Maybe if it's just a simple case of LR and even with leaky gut probably starting with HIIT to help boost the mito sounds pretty legit.

Not to mention the balance between what sounds good and what is practical in real life. I guess we all just need to pick and chose what might suit our needs the best. The trouble is when people are so sick they are very desperate for something to help, so they are vulnerable to believe that all protocols must be followed to a T or else they will 'die' like right away and/or NEVER improve which is reflected in the language in which it is presented to people such as 'you will be part of 6th extinction'. Many pathways lead to degeneration as well as many paths lead to healing and regeneration. To keep that in mind is prudent. I have benefited from many protocols on this site and I am willing to explore many more options too which might suit me better for where I am in Feb. 2013 versus Jan. 2012.

Keep questioning: Light for the Night. :cool:

12. freesia

freesia Old Member

The hands warming up is interesting! I hope you continue to feel a positive change. I had another good response today...so fingers crossed for the both of us. :)

13. Zorica Vuletic

Thanks! I am also going to take a 5g w/ dinner tonight too. I will see how it interacts with sleep.

Good luck for you too!! :D

14. Zorica Vuletic

p.s. freesia how was your sleep last night? If this is your second day. I guess I will see for myself tonight of course. So far I have not seen anyone report any negative effects on their sleep.

15. janagram

janagram New Member

wellll, I started it yesterday and woke up after 4-5 hrs of sleep.....but who knows if that is why.....

16. Zorica Vuletic

Ok well hopefully you get more sleep tonight. And I will see how mine is tonight.

17. Zorica Vuletic

p.s. What was your dosings?

18. freesia

freesia Old Member

Less twisting, more icing. Conserves precious electrons. :D

19. freesia

freesia Old Member

Actually, now this is interesting...I woke an hour before sunrise which is unusual for me!! So, sleep was a bit shorter. But I still feel good today. Will see what happens tonight. :)

20. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I'm now taking it only before 3pm. My sleep improved a bit when I switched from ubiquinone to ubiquinol but went downhill with the d-ribose. Could be totally unrelated but I'm taking no chances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.