1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Kombucha Tea

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Myree67, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Ray

Ray New Member

1.) I tested it this morning for the fizz and it is a little fizzy but not quite there - progress for sure. Since I tested a bottle, does it have to go in the fridge or will it keep fermenting and get fizzier?

>>> If you reseal the bottle, you can keep fermenting at room temperature and it will continue to carbonate until the sugars are gone (or can no longer be fermented for other reasons).

2.) It is a little too sweet (pretty sure I s/have fermented longer). Will the 2nd ferment eat any more of the sugar? Can I put back in with a scoby to ferment longer since I have already started the 2nd ferment.

>>> If too sweet, you need to watch the carbonation phase carefully. It can result in excessive carbonation (which you discover when you open the bottle and it gushes everywhere) or in breaking bottles (sometimes explosively). You could put it back in the primary fermenter or you could blend it later with a batch that you fermented too long.

2. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Thanks much Ray!

3. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

It has been quite a few days since I put it into bottles. There is a some fizz but not a lot. It is still on the counter. Thinking I shoudld put it into the fridge. What did I do wrong? I have read that by adding fruit at this stage helps it to carbonate. Yes?

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Yes, adding a sugar source will help it carbonate. Some of my bottles take 2 weeks to carbonate. I have never had a bottle explode and have had them on the counter for weeks at a time (fridge space is limited so I only put in as many as I need). I think they just need a little more time. Use this advice at your own risk ;)

5. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Thanks again Soul! I will leave them a little while longer. I got my real scoby in the mail and made another batch. I wish I would have waited 2 days more then I wouldn't have had to buy it. Oh well, learning experience. I can make more for my kiddos I guess. When I bottled this stuff, I put it in the store bottles for the second ferment. Would it have fermented better for the 2nd ferment if I would have used larger bottles??? Was this ok to do it this way?

6. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I use store bottles they work well for me. Best are the flip top beer bottles in my experience. I've had bottles take 3-4weeks to get fizzy b/c I do ferment out most of the sugar. Just be patient. You want to use bottles close to the size you're drinking so you actually get to enjoy the fizz before it leaves.

7. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Question for the kombucha experts: Any thoughts on why I can drink GT's Kombucha just fine but seem to have problems with my home brewed stuff? I use organic black tea with organic sugar and I've tried it both plain and with a 2nd ferment after adding some lemon juice and ginger - both ways give me heartburn and/or stomach pains. I can drink tons and tons of the expensive GT's stuff though with no problem at all.

It's driving me crazy because I really want to save $$ on it by making the homemade. I love the stuff and can easily drink 2-3 bottles a day if I would let myself ;) My kids are drinking the home brewed stuff and seem fine from it, so I don't think it's mold or anything. Thoughts?

8. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Your homebrew is a lower ph most likely. There is a lot of talk about GT's being "watered down" b/c of the trouble they go into with the alcohol. So it's either diluted or the fermentation phase has been shortened. I can't drink the store bought stuff anymore b/c it's so sweet. But some of my own stuff will give me a tummy ache when I let it go for too long.

9. The tea has been on the counter for several days for second fermentation, and the only thing going on is a new Scoby growing at the surface!! Does it really matter if I put it in the fridge and drink it like that?

10. Ray

Ray New Member

You can drink it like that. Some people have a several gallon brew pot with a spigot at the bottom. When they want some, they withdraw a glass and replace an equivalent amount of sweet tea in the fermenter. The carbonation phase is optional, but many people like it that way.

11. Thank's Ray! I'll have it like that this time, and next time I'll see if I can get more more bubbles ;)