1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Kombucha Tea

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Myree67, Apr 30, 2012.

1. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Sorry I am such a newbie on this. Not sure how to proceed now then. You mentioned tasting it to see where it's at. I can do that. I'm thinking the worst scenario is it has not developed enough to eat all the sugar and then it has more carbs then it should or the opposite could happen - vinegar. I can deal with either one.

So how do I get the tea out for a 2nd ferment and protect the scoby and start a new? Do just pour most of it out and leave the scoby on top of some existing tea to start a new batch? I'm thinking the scoby might come out if I try to pour. Can I touch it or hold it back with a spoon or? I know, silly questions but I have to get my feet wet!

2. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Yippie!!!! Thanks so much gals. It is thin, clear and rubbery!!!!

3. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Ok, 1 more question. By removing the action of the scoby now is how it gets fizzy? I need to do some research to understand why it gets fizzy.

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

For tasting purposes, I use a soup ladle (clean) and ladle some out into a cup for tasting. You don't need much. One sip and you'll know if it tastes the way you like it. Just don't use straw directly in the vessel b/c it could get contaminated.

If it's to your liking, you can carefully remove the scoby (if you break it up don't worry but that won't happen once it grows bigger), then pour out most of the kombucha (save a bit on the bottom - the more you save the faster the next batch will be ready and the more likely it will be successful b/c you keep the ph lower so less chance for bad bugs to take over), and then refill with new (cooled) sweet tea. Put the scoby back in and start over.

Then bottle the kombucha into serving size airtight bottles (I saved enough original kombucha bottles but beer bottles with pop tops work a lot better - I love those). Flavor if you want to. Let them sit in a warm spot until they pass the fizzy test (shake a bottle up and look for bubbles - *gently*).

If it's not ready, just let it go for longer.

5. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

It gets fizzy b/c you switch from aerobic to unaerobic fermentation once you bottle and seal the bottles. They need to be airtight so the fizz will stay in.

6. zoebarry@yahoo.com

zoebarry@yahoo.com New Member

I want to try this!! Has anybody had any bottles explode?

7. zoebarry@yahoo.com

I want to try this!! I've been buying the Bucha brand grapefruit sage flavor, and at $3.19 a bottle, it's starting to add up! I can't seem to get enough of it though!! I drink 1-2 bottles a day!

Has anyone had a bottle explode?

8. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Done and new batch started. No flavorings this time but next time ginger. That is my favorite and must be others as it is always out at the store. It taste just like the store stuff. Kinda funny, had the scoby almost the whole time and I hadn't a clue what it was. This is so exciting. I was paying $3.79 a bottle for the stuff and using it sparingly. I am going to get my son going on it. His poor gut needs it.

Thanks so much for all your help and guidance and everyone else too!

9. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

You can do this. It was really neat to actually grow a scoby. Unfortunately, I just bought one from KombuchaKamp tonight. Oh well, live and learn. Just means I can make more right out of the gate! I have to get another batch of kraut going too. Love the stuff.

10. Coriander

Coriander Silver

I started off years ago using glass bottles with the flip-top. But we went through so much kombucha, and there were too many young people bumping bottles around here, so I started saving soft drink bottles (neighbours saved them for me). I'm sure the plastic bottles aren't optimal, but they don't break, and they don't explode. And they sure do keep in a good amount of fizz! It's easy to tell when they've sat out on the bench long enough, because they get to a point where you can't squeeze them with all the pressure they've built up.

If you are using glass bottles, yes, they can explode!

11. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

never had any of mine explode and I am the queen of kombucha :) They WILL bubble over though occasionally... just be prepared.

12. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

Ouch! I'd say "not optimal" is an understatement. Some of the hardeners used in plastic of the type are xeno-estrogens. Re-using the bottle is likely to make the rate of their leaching out into the drink faster. Then you've got the heat on the beach - you're saying you can tell that because of the way the bottles swell. Well, as the liquid warms it'll draw more stuff out of the plastic. It's possible to taste that in mineral water that's got warmish, if it's been bottled in plastic not glass. I'd have thought with an acidic medium like kombucha you'd be likely to get even more pulled out of the plastic as it warms up.

Exogenous hormone-like substances .... I think the risk here is that of affecting the balance of your hormones.

I'd use glass. I think you'd be safe if you used very robust glass that's made to take a carbonated liquid. If you make sure not to overfill the bottles and keep them in an insulated cool-box you'll be doubly safe. Alternatively, if the worry is that kids and glass don't mix maybe a food-grade stainless-steel bottle - like those ecotanka ones - would be another option.

13. Coriander

Coriander Silver

The kombucha bottles aren't getting warm Michael, they are sitting on the kitchen bench, doing a 'second ferment'. The pressure building up is because of the carbonation. But you're right about not being optimal. It's time to get out those glass bottles again; yes, like Grolsch but a bit bigger.

14. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

LOL.

I read "bench" as "beach". I assumed you were taking them to the beach.

I think it was because the word "Australia" was in my mind. Australia = beaches, as everyone knows.

I used to make kombucha briefly some while ago, and it went in the fridge after I'd bottled it. But I'd have a bottle or two, but you're obviously brewing on a much bigger scale! ... Visions of bottles stacked along this bench.

15. Coriander

Coriander Silver

LOL, if I did that, they'd be exploding! I do about 15Lt every 7 - 10 days. That's a lot of bottles clunking!

16. Qodesh

Qodesh New Member

The Kombucha's absorb toxins to detox our systems. A lot of the hype and fears around using Kombucha is that people have gotten sick. (other than detox symptoms) The SCOBY doesn't have to get warm to absorb the toxins in plastic. Also be sure to not use metal or crocks that may have lead paint.

I've heard food grade plastic is ok, but you know our FDA....... I'd stick to glass.

17. Endless

Endless Guest

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but as well as avoiding plastic, metal should not be used when making kombucha or kefir....strainers, spoons, etc. I always use wood or glass, and cheesecloth to strain things.

18. zoebarry@yahoo.com

I did not know that....thanks for the tip!

19. Coriander

Coriander Silver

My fermenting kombucha, with scobys, is in large glass jars.

20. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I have started my 2nd ferment now. Couple of questions:

1.) I tested it this morning for the fizz and it is a little fizzy but not quite there - progress for sure. Since I tested a bottle, does it have to go in the fridge or will it keep fermenting and get fizzier?

2.) It is a little too sweet (pretty sure I s/have fermented longer). Will the 2nd ferment eat any more of the sugar? Can I put back in with a scoby to ferment longer since I have already started the 2nd ferment.

Thanks all!