1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Kombucha Tea

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Myree67, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Ray

Ray New Member

Just ferment it until it tastes good to you. (you can use a straw to pull a sample) For most, about 10 days at typical summer-time room temperatures does the trick. It will take quite a bit longer at temperatures below ~65*F. At these temperatures, I have let it go for over a month. If it gets too vinegary, you can just bottle that and use it to blend with 'younger' ferments for the perfect final batch. You can also use it to acidify the start of a new batch.

2. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Thanks all for your help. Can't wait to start this.

3. Good luck V. Got all my new boochies brewing and used an old wine bottle for secondary ferment. [​IMG]

4. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Soul, I got my kraut and kombucha going this week. You said I didn't need a scoby right if I used a store bought bottle? I made the tea like you described, let cool, added it to the premade kombucha and filled the container with more water. Covered with cheesecloth and a rubberband and am not disturbing now. Is this correct?

For the kraut, I cut it up, pounded it down with salt and put it in jars packed with remaining bubbies juice and some water. Covered it with a lid and have been burping and recapping for a few days now once a day. Am I doing this correct?

I sure hope this turns out. Thanks for all your help and everybody else that has offered advice.

5. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

If the culture in the store bought bottle is active and not heated then u should b all set. Which brand?

6. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Thanks. Says GT's, Organic Raw Kombucha. I am thinking about buying a scoby. Looks like there might be a small bit of something on the top in 1 little spot. Don't know what it is yet but going to hang in there. Not much wasted except time in this case.

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Try it, V. GT is now doing something to their kombucha to prevent it from fermenting on the shelves.... nobody really know what they do but it might include some gentle heating to prevent too much alcohol from forming. I think it should work though.... hang tight, it might take a while. Look for a thin layer of membrane forming on top of the tea. I would send you a scoby but it would probably die before it arrived ;)

8. diane

diane Gold

I'm very excited! Today I finally went to the little organic health store not far from me, and they had organic raw kombucha! I got the hibiscus rose hip - delicious. I also ordered a scoby from ebay after seeing all of your results, so excited to get that going too. I got a kefir with it, but it's dairy, not water, and I have real issues with dairy. Oops. Oh well, after I get the kombucha going, I may order a water kefir - apparently they are different grains.

I also found Bubbies pickles - such a score! Plus the owner sells fermented coconut water. Didn't have any today as the local guy he gets it from takes the summer off, but will have it back in September. I can't wait to try it!

9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

They charge an arm and a leg for the fermented coconut water. Just make your own. It's so easy.:)

10. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I used a different brand - High Country - I think it's from Soul's neck of the woods. I did exactly what Soul said earlier and added fresh tea to a plain bottle of it and in about 3 weeks I had a nice, thick scoby. Seems to be working well so far, just taking a bit long to ferment my first batch since the house is a bit on the cooler side ;)

11. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Ok Soul, now I've got to bug you about the coconut water. Do you use water kefir grains or do you have some other wonderful way to ferment it? I posted on the other thread that I always killed my water kefir - found it to be entirely too needy. Is there another way to do this? Thanks!

12. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

The bigger the scoby in your fermentation vessel the faster it will ferment. So when you're starting with a bottle of store bought you have to be patient..... b/c the scoby is very small (you don't even need one since you add all the cultures that will form the scoby with the kombucha). I'm pretty sure the GT's will work V it still says raw on the bottle. High Country is GOOD :cool:

13. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I add probiotics in powder form. Yet have to procure some kefir grains. Though I really should, considering the amount of this stuff I use. Anybody want to do a scoby - water kefir grains trade??

What happened to your water kefir? The only problem I'm having these days is that I can't always get the Kevita to fizz. Which is sort of what I"m doing the whole project for.....

14. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I'm thinking mine has mold on the top. There are a few vert small spots that appear to be mold. It has been about 1 week so far. It wouldn't be growing many scobies correct, it would seem like it is mold???

15. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Don't give up yet. You can always throw it out later. Some people say you don't want to add anything to the kombucha you grow your first scoby from b/c like that the mold is prevented by acidity level. What's the temperature in the place you keep your kombucha?

16. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Temp is about 73. I won't throw it yet. But probably going to buy a scoby anyway and start more.

17. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Soul or anyone, I opened up my kombucha and tested with the strips I have which says it is below 4.5 but that is all I know. My question is, what I thought was bubbles on top is actually a thin film over the entire top and the thing in the corner, which is small, is part of this. What is this? Is it still safe? It is not mold as I know it. Could it possibly be a scoby or? Thanks for any input.

18. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Sounds like you grew your first scoby :) Congrats!

Now you gotta do the taste test to figure out if it's ready.

19. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I bet the little thing in the corner was the "baby" scoby from the bottle that inoculated the fermentation vessel and the bigger thin film is actually the new baby scoby from this new ferment. You will start to get layers of scobies with each fermentation. They will grow thicker with time.

20. Coriander

Coriander Silver

Yes! You did it.

It's not mold, it's a scoby. Thin, clear, rubbery.

Carefully lift the scoby out, put it in a bowl or jug with a cup of the kombucha. Then make a new batch of tea/sugar, add the cup of kombucha, and put the scoby in. Into cool tea, not hot!! You can make the tea with hot water, then add cold to make up quantity, which should cool it enough for the scoby to go back in.

Bottle the kombucha you've made, and leave it out on the bench for a few days. Then in the fridge. It will be really fizzy!