1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Kombucha Tea

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Myree67, Apr 30, 2012.

1. hmmm...looked like mold, but maybe I was premature. I will try again with some starter kombucha. Thanks MomaG.

BTW, a little off topic, but this came up - how do you tell (if you can at all) the difference between bloat from die off and bloat from my body does not do well with this food?

Sorry to say, when I have bloat, I think of you! :rolleyes:

2. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

IDK if I've ever had bloat from die-off. It's a difficult question, for sure.

3. chocolate

chocolate Silver

Well my scoby is actually on top... I didn't realize the old one stayed on the bottom and a new skin grew on top. I guess I'll go to the wine makers and get an alcohol tester. It tastes like it is too delicious.

4. LOL

5. chocolate

chocolate Silver

http://www.ajevonline.org/content/49/2/225.abstract

Evaluation of a Digital Blood Glucose Monitor for Measuring Residual Glucose in Wines

Robert M. Cook,

Bruce R. Devlin,

Susan E. Ebeler and

Christian E. Butzke

+ Author Affiliations

Department of Viticulture and Enology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616-8749.

cebutzke@ucdavis.edu.

Abstract

Current methods for accurately measuring residual sugar (RS) concentrations in wine can be time-consuming, requiring multiple preparation steps and careful training. Sugar test pills and strips are rapid and easy to use for monitoring RS concentrations from 1 to 20 g/L but only give an approximate RS concentration. Recently, hand-held, digital glucose testing monitors have become available for use by diabetics to accurately and rapidly monitor blood glucose concentrations. We evaluated one of these monitors for its sensitivity and accuracy in model wine solutions. Wines of varying RS concentrations were tested and the results compared to standard procedures. The influence of pH and ethanol and SO2 concentrations on the assay were investigated. The monitor showed promise for measuring glucose concentrations of 1 g/L or less in wines. In model wine solutions, a nonlinear response was obtained with glucose concentrations of 2 to 10 g/L. The evaluated type of system is not suitable for routine monitoring of fermentations in a winery.

http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?/topic/36835-testing-residual-sugar-using-a-handheld-blood-glucose-meter/ this thread suggests diluting it with a precise smidgy of water.

6. I put some booch in a rinsed out kevita bottle for secondary ferment and I just looked at it and there is a scoby floating in there!

Is that supposed to happen?

I gotta get it out now through the little neck...LOL

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Yes!!! That means you did it right! Don't fish it out.... drink it down, lol.

8. Ok - can you make kombucha and get the carbs down to 1g or so - like the coconut kevita? Do i have to have one of thise scoooby snacks to start?

9. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Curious, why drink it down? I have yet to try to make it myself, but I thought you used those for starting new batches, no? I have to reread this thread to understand it better and make that attempt.

10. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I want to learn this too. I think it would be great to make myself and not pay $3.5/bottle along with sauerkraut. Guess I have to get off my arse and just do it.

11. Lol V and Cavemam! Yes you need a scoby. Too bad you don't live near me, I have 4 extra in fridge. I don't know the trick to mailing them so they don't due. If anyone does, let me know. The longer you let them brew, the less sugar they have. Taste test - if you pucker, it's done. Lol. Water kefir brews faster. Sauerkraut is simple but MESSY! I was reading up on kraut and now I know I've been doing it wrong. Gotta have a lid. Next batch. Got my cabbage ready To go!

12. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Ok, we need a scoby, sugar, glass jar, tea, what else? I am going shopping tomorrow.

13. Soul - you got a spares scooby?

14. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Toooooons. They reproduce like rabbits in my house. How many would you like?

15. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I'm not sure about the carbs status. I go by what the store bought bottles say and mine are a lot less sweet. I ferment the heck out of them but at some point it will be too acidic to drink.

Yes, you need a scoby or a bottle of store bought.

16. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

B/c it freaks everybody out :p

You don't have to drink it. It's just part of the Kombucha cult.... You get a new scoby with every batch of kombucha that you make. So then you have two, then three, then four, you get the drift. If you do a second ferment in a bottle then there will be a little baby scoby on top as well.

17. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

It's real easy, V. Take one of your store bought bottles and dump it into a one gallon container (cleaned). Then make some tea, 4-6 teabags, green or black or mixed. Stir in a cup of sugar (regular, none of the natural stuff) until dissolved. Let it cool or add cool water and then put it into the gallon container that has the bottle of kombucha. Add water to fill it up if necessary. Put a cover on top that will allow air circulation but no bugs in and secure with a rubber band. Hang tight for 2-3 weeks.

Once the PH gets to the desired acidity level (below 3.2 for me) you can either drink it or bottle it for a second ferment. Reserve a bit of the kombucha on the bottom of the gallon container along with the scoby for the next batch.

If you do a second ferment, pour the kombucha into individual airtight bottles. You can add a flavor/juice now if you want. Or some ginger. Then cap it and let it sit until fizzy.

Done :D It's a learning curve to make it real nice but it's dirt cheap.

18. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Thaaaaank you! I think I can do this. Sounds like I need something to check the acidity level. Once done, how long does it last? What is the purpose of the second ferment?

I am excited. I love this stuff. Making my trip to Madtown today for wedding shoes and now K supplies. I will have to set my lab up on the other counter away from the mainstream. If I have to move it due to the rehearsal dinner being held at my house, does that ruin it?

19. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Move it very carefully! Or the mushroom has to start over.

Purpose of second ferment is to make it even tastier! To get it to fizz. And to reduce sugar content. You can use your taste buds to check the acidity level for now... I like to use PH strips.

20. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

lasts for forever... I haven't seen any go bad. But then, it doesn't last that long in my house. I slept really badly last night though b/c I thought drinking a bottle of my "real" kombucha (with caffeine) after 5 with a bar of lindt was a perfectly acceptably idea... NOT.