1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Kombucha Tea

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Myree67, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Myree67

Myree67 New Member

I've really been struggling since last summer when I started LR rx and eating Primal. I've been peeling the weight off but have continued insomnia that got worse and horrible acid reflux and constipation on top of the chronic pain.

I stumbled across Kombucha about a month ago and am finally sleeping, going poo and have cut the reflux med in half.

I only drink it with my meals so fine with LR protocol.

I finally got into see an alternative nutritionist and she taught me how to test myself on supplements and any product because I reviewed my supplement costs and nearly crapped my pants ...over $400 a month!

I'm seeing a natural path on the 7th hoping to get the testing on my thyroid since I am hypo.

I just wanted to share my experience with the fermented tea because it seems to be a life saver for me! I've started brewing it myself so I can brew longer and make sure most the sugar is gone.

It's packed with probiotics, B vitamins, C, amino acids ...and more good stuff AND since all this stuff is in one food it's less expensive , if you home brew, than all those supplements and your body makes better use of them!

Would love input from others ...I don't have the option of wine as a ferment since I'm a recovering addict.

2. I just got my first scoby today!! Hope I can do this ...lol So far I managed to get one good batch of home made sauerkraut but really failed at milk kefir. So, here's hoping I am a good buch-brewer. Got any tips?

3. Mylittlelambs

Mylittlelambs New Member

That is wonderful :) I got my mother for my Kombucha while my inlaws here here for a family wedding and my first batch was just ready a few days ago, it is great stuff.

4. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Know that kombucha can contain a small percentage of alcohol - but of course, I have a strong suspicion (based on facts) that alcohol addiction is just as curable as sugar addiction with proper nutrition.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

You are one smart gal, mamagrok. I have also thought the same about alcoholism. I always felt like it was a blood sugar problem. Eating right can take the cravings away.

6. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Slightly OT, but what does this mean?

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

many people "sober" from alcohol show up in eating disorders therapy/groups... a few months after they stopped drinking. Sit in on an AA meeting and watch them chow down on donuts, coffee, and cigarettes. You will ask no more.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

AA is not very successful from the way I see it. I remember when they were saying low blood sugar was a disease. lol Now that one made me shake my head more then once and you couldn't tell people that it wasn't.

When I started to eat badly again, I knew full well what I was doing and I shake my head on that one too.

I want to try making kombucha tea, someday. I already ferment some of my own veggies. My favorite is daikon radish and spicy kimchi.

9. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Radiant Recovery (sugar addiction program) was founded by someone who found herself tremendously successful (90%, she claims) at helping people get off alcohol. The keys to the program she used for both? High protein breakfast (20-35g), no snacking, some fat, reduce sugar, meal timing, breakfast within an hour ... Sound familiar?

She has not been that successful at sugar addiction,, though - IMO, it's because she tries to convince everyone to have AT LEAST one serving of at least one kind of whole grain with every meal. Almost no one has any success losing weight, even off sugar, until they drop the grains (against her advice), and few have long-term success against sugar (although the results are amazing for a year or so).

From the time I started at marksdailyapple, I was trying to find a way to mix the principles of hers that worked with a primal way of eating. Enter Jack Kruse. :)

10. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Don't all ferments contain that small percentage of alcohol? I guess with Kombucha the problem is that there is so much sugar to be fermented and it's fermented for a long time. My research has shown that the alcohol really doesn't kick in until you seal the bottles and let them get fizzy. The more sugar is still in the kombucha when you seal the bottles, the longer you allow them to ferment anaerobically, the higher the alcohol content. It also depends on temperature a bit, iirc. But this is true for everything that is fermented anaerobically.

11. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

That said, I wouldn't drink my homemade Kombucha in the car - I've found my favorite way of fermentation and that does include a significant anaerobic fermentation period :D

12. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Kombucha is more prone to alcohol because it's a fermentation of bacteria *and* yeast.

I LOVE my secondary fermentation wtih the lid on and ginger in the bottle!!! I wouldn't hesitate to drive after kombucha'ing, though, lol - it doesn't affect me at all.

I stopped drinking it for a few years because although it often helped with sugar cravings, at some point I felt like it was contributing to them. I don't think that would likely be the case now, and am brewing my first batch in a long while.

13. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I still get heart pounding from it :( I'd really like to know why.

14. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

actually, thinking back, I do remember the first few times it gave me a weird head-swelly feeling like the first time I had rum. I never drink more than a cup of kombucha at a time, anyway, but I did get some odd things at first. It's been a long time since I had it.

I do know that there is almost always sugar (and we're talking, whatever kind of white sugar was used to brew it) left in it. Otherwise, you have kombuchigar, and you would know if it was there!! It's totally vinegar by that point (nice for salad dressing and throwing a tablespoon ina tall glass of water!).

15. Caroline Cooper

Caroline Cooper New Member

Kombucha is a wonderful fermented drink. If you are doing the LRx you might want to add some fermented vegetables and condiments. Here are some fermented food recipes. There is some recommendations for the best books I have read on the topic:

http://www.eatkamloops.org/specific-carbohydrate-diet-scd-recipes/

Cheers,

Caroline Cooper

16. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I had that oops happen a couple of times.... didn't need to buy vinegar for a long time! I ended up just using most of it as starter tea for the new batch of kombucha. I sometimes mix the Kevita with the Kombucha, I can tolerate it better that way but I'm still really curious what my reaction is from. Is there yeast in Kevita?

Cleaned out my fridge this AM and threw away a whole lot of mushrooms :( just don't need that many any longer and they keep multiplying.

17. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

All the Kevita I've seen except for plain coconut flavor has fruit juice added to it, and makes my head spinny.

18. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

b/c of the sugar? there's only a couple of flavors I ever bought b/c the others are too sugary. Still got dermatitis and heart palpitations from those... b/c of the flavors they add.

19. Qodesh

Qodesh New Member

I just got my first SCOBY and am starting my first batch tonight. I heard that you can blend extra SCOBYs that you don't need with oatmeal, lemon juice, a tad of oil and a vitamin C to preserve and use it for a hair tonic.

20. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I'm curious about that also.