1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Kindle e-ink readers

Discussion in 'Feedback/Suggestions' started by MITpowered26, Sep 20, 2019.

1. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

Question and idea:

These kindle e-ink readers ? Are they safer than lcd screens?

I’m going to test it with my spectrometer and report back

Anyways.. the idea is this:

Find a way to download and update websites of interest for offline access ... and upload to an e reader if it can be transferred / hold data. From there .. If possible I can then also have the choice of reading (if safe) or have the kindle read in Audio to me (I think there’s a function)

J

Cuffy likes this.
  2. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Looking forward to responses. I have a few Kindles, but the one I use the most is the Paperwhite.

I read with it at night. I know, I know ... flunking out of Black Swan School. But I believe the light is in the corners of the screen and shines down instead of up into my eyes. I make the light as dim as possible, and I have it in airplane mode. I realize any light hitting the eyes is bad after dark, but I assume it's better than turning on a lamp to read (I don't want candles near my bed). Plus I wear night Ra Optics, so ...

If I can't read, I'll die.

3. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

Fuck. Abort mission.

Attached Files:

4. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

Audio is the way to go

5. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

Bummer. Well, I can do audio.

6. YuriyDorogoy

YuriyDorogoy New Member

Just buy kindle not a paperwhite version (simple e ink display without backlight). It's cheaper and smarter way to go. You will see no visible light radiation, so it will depends on your environment lighting. Backlight is obviously the same as any other LED the only thing they care was flickering back then.

Seconds part of hack is "send to kindle" and "push to kindle" extensions for browsers and mobile

MITpowered26 likes this.
  7. Inger

Inger Silver

why dont you read books...?
    I never had a kindle and never will. I only read real paper books, I love it.
    Why do you read in bed?
    I read on my couch and when I get so sleepy I cant bear it anymore (it happens pretty fast if you read a book with one candle..), I go to bed.
    For light I use 1 candle. Works really well, no tech needed :)

Kindle or any other artificial light will always flicker. And it is FAKE. It just has the wrong vibe....at least to me.

I honestly do not get this kindle thing at all.
    Because there is a alternative to it - a book!! That is even way better!
    To be on my computer/internet is enough damage. And for that there is no alternative either. But kindle? I mean... why would I choose that before books?

Christine_L, Hilde and MITpowered26 like this.
  8. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

I get what you are saying @Inger but for me, my intention was to do offline reading of the forum basically. But I don’t want to have to print all the paper

9. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

Have you tested this out on a spectrometer?

10. YuriyDorogoy

YuriyDorogoy New Member

What are you trying to test? E-Ink is completely dark. The photons you get from it are photons your shine on it. I hope you're checking spectrum in complete darkness, otherwise you're checking your light bulb

MITpowered26 likes this.
  11. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Why's your common sense so rare!

Thank you for posting on this forum so I don't feel crazy.

12. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

OK.

If that's the case, then daytime use of old school e--ink for the win! I wonder if there is a viable model big enough as a computer monitor to hook your computer up to? I know there are models to buy, which are expensive, but I don't know if they are backlit...

13. MITpowered26

MITpowered26 New Member

I think you are missing the sense of what I'm trying to achieve. As you posted that comment, were you looking at a computer/tablet/phone monitor? yes. I'm trying to find a viable substitute.

14. Cuffy

Cuffy Gold

I do read real physical books, lots of them. The interior of my house looks like Edward Gorey's, with cats and stacks on every horizontal surface, including the stairs.

I was given a Kindle in 2010, and I thought I would hate it, as nothing compares to the experience of holding a book in my hands and turning the pages. But I grew to enjoy the convenience of "packing" hundreds of books, so I could read whatever I wanted when I wanted. I also liked that I could read in bed without bothering my husband by having a light on. Of course this was before I knew about how light affects sleep and health. My original Kindle was a keyboard version--it has no built-in light.

Why do I read in bed? I have done so since I learned to read, long before computers and blue light were around.