1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Kids Teeth

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by MamaGrok, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Received the US Wellness Meats Liverwurst yesterday. Very Fabulous!!!!!!!!! Scrambled eggs and liverwurst-- to die for! YMMV:D

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

oh,,, haven't thought of making it that way... ooohhh yum. lunch/dinner today will most likely be a liver burger!

3. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

My kids have been on a strict paleo diet for several years, raw milk, cod liver oil, vit. D, tons of pasture butter, pastured eggs etc. They hadn't had any cavities until ages 5 and 7, when all of a sudden they had a ton. I let them go, hoping that pushing bone broth and more fat vitamins would help, but it was worse when we went back again, including some in their permanent molars. I even had them brushing, flossing and waterpicking after every meal, swishing with a minerals mixed in water and no snacking. I also had removed all fruit. Finally I had their teeth filled because I didn't know what else to do, they were permanent teeth, nutrition didn't seem to be working etc.

Then, I remembered that I had started chelating the kids for heavy metals. Part of the protocol was to take tons on minerals because it can depelte those. I couldn't get the kids to swallow pills, so I had hoped the bone broth, raw milk and some herbal mineral tea would be enough. Now I think that might not have been and could have been what weakened their teeth. I stopped the chelation for them and we haven't been back to the dentist yet, but I'm hoping that's what caused it.

I'm just sick about their teeth. I thought they would be immune to cavities with such an amazing diet, tons of teeth cleaning and a Mom who has never had a cavity (although Dad has lots). I even have a Paleo dentist who prescribes diet to his clients to heal their teeth who told me I should have them filled, because I had already done all I possibly could to heal them and it just didn't work (he doesn't see kids himself though).

4. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

So sorry to hear that difficulty, paleoMom! I know the pain we feel when this stuff happens to our kids. Sounds like you did the best you could at every point along the line, and I hope your plan works!

5. PaleoDentist

PaleoDentist New Member

6. LinD

LinD New Member

Thanks for the link!

Sprint Samsung Epic

7. Caroline Cooper

Caroline Cooper New Member

If anyone hasn't heard of the work of Dr Weston Price, look into his work. The Weston A Price Foundation is a great resource. I am a member and the Chapter leader for Kamloops, BC, Canada. I wish I had known about Dr Price's work before I conceived my children. Unfortunately I didn't, so we have had to work from what we had. Here is some of my personal experiences with my children's teeth and how we solved teeth problems in our family:

http://eatkamloops.org/our-childrens-teeth-choices-a-family-needs-to-make/

http://eatkamloops.org/cure-tooth-decay/

http://eatkamloops.org/healthy-household-sage-tooth-powder/

8. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Caroline, I'm looking into various orthodontic options for my family. Do you know anything about the differences between DNA, Damon, ALF, Homeoblock, and/or BioBloc/orthotropics, and what you mentioned (orthopedics?)? I'm SO SO confused, and have no idea which way to turn.

9. Son swallowed a pretty sizeable (in the opinion of his mommy) tooth last night. The googles say it happens and "just passes", but thought I would check here. I guess if he has any bleeding or issues passing I'll go to doc - but anything I should be doing?

10. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

hazyjane has a blog on this stuff MamaG! if I remember correctly!

I have a question for you - what are your thoughts about missing wisdom teeth? I only had 2 - and put off getting them removed until I was 34. They weren't bothering me but my former dentist at the time kept pestering me to get them removed so I did - I probably didn't need to have it done. I did have braces growing up my mom has her wisdom teeth - only she only had 3. my Dad never had his come in -but they became impacted at age 60 - so he had them removed. DH only had 2 - and they were removed in his late teens, dh never had braces -he actually has slight gaps btwn his teeth -and it drives him nuts b/c food always gets stuck ( he's got perfectly straight teeth!)

is missing wisdom teeth a result of nutritional deficiencies? my mom was 1st born, and I'm an only. I look at my mom's mouth and I can see she has a very narrow pallet (she didn't have braces - but she's had veneers put on) - my pallet is wider than hers (maybe some of my dad's genetics coming through!) w/the exception of my braces - my teeth have been awesome - I've only had 1 cavity - that last year! at 38! what do yo think???

11. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Thanks, shijin, I read it a few weeks ago and am no closer to an answer. I can find NOTHING comparing the techniques, just lauding or lambasting whole groups.

I've never heard of missing wisdom teeth. I assume that if they can't come through, perhaps they're re-absorbed in some people?

To be clear, your palate is about your *parent's* nutritional status when you were conceived.

Cavities are about *your* nutritional status at the time they occur.

12. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

thanks! - I guess my mom's nutritional status was better than her moms.... b/c my palate is wider than hers - however - probably not wide enough, nor adequately proportional hence the need for braces.

as for my wisdom teeth - my 2 upper ones were never there - when I went in for my initial consult for braces - the orthodontist was surprised I had none up top! - he could see where my adult canines were (parallel w/my sinus cavity- which was one of the reasons I was getting braces - all my adult teeeth had come in w/the exception of the canines - I'd lost my milk canines and the dentist was concerned that the other teeth would move fwd b/c my adult canines weren't moving down at all - I had surgery to entice them down) my mom was the same for her wisdom teeth - but she has xtra adult canine teeth on her bottom and top jaws (Still there haven't been re-adsorbed - some of her brothers and sisters have the xtra adult canine teeth as well.)

I know my dentist uses ALP Appliances in children first before considering traditional braces...

13. MJ*

MJ* New Member

If he has no sign of pain or anything in swallowing it, it should not be a problem, once it gets to the stomach he'll pass it....

However you do have to tell him the tooth fairy can't visit unless he finds it!!! ;) ;)

I think he's going to be just fine...

14. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Being the youngest of eight someone should have fed my mother better when she was pregnant with me LoL, seriously this probably explains why my palate is small...

15. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Classic Weston Price. He found that in families on traditional foods with the naturally built 2.5-3.5 year spacing, the youngest was as healthiest as the oldest. If either of those factors was not true, in general, each child was in worse health in some way (or many) than the previous.

In my kids, it's the teeth, and as you get to the fifth, the palate, as well. I think the spacing saved them from much worse.

There's a reason that every single traditional society across the world fed its soon-to-conceive young men and its soon-to-conceive, pregnant, or nursing young women superfoods, going to great lengths to obtain them. I like to think of those great lengths when I'm driving an hour and a half to pick up my grassfed cow or paying out the wazoo for fermented cod liver oil. :)

16. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

IKWUM! ds has suddenly gone crazy for ghee, FCLO and liver - so I'm giving it to him... he's craving it..so he needs it... every time I' m a the stove cooking he's asking for ghee... so I give it to him...there's something he needs in it!

17. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Yes that is a great motivation to keep up the good habits and justify the extra expense! It makes sense...so my mother had the last 4 of us in 4 1/2 years...birth control was a non-issue for them or any of the large families we grew up around, next door there were 11 and if the father had not passed away early it might have been more...

18. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Yes I think if you crave something it's because your body is needing something from that food...

19. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

That was so very typical of mid-20th century families that had given up the natural mothering practices (breastfeeding, co-sleeping, nonnutrive nursing, etc.) that resulted in the natural spacing that had made large families so very do-able in all prior human history. So many births so close together certainly made the headlong dive into hormonal contraception almost inevitable!

20. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Great points, and it's so true...