1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Kettlebells

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by caroline, Dec 8, 2012.

1. caroline

caroline Moderator

I want to start LHT but have never done anything like this before.  Kettlebells seem like fun and something I would like to do.  From what I read I should start pretty light but will need a heavier one soon after - so I should buy a pair?  I am not sure what weight to start at tho  4Kg or 6Kg or 8Kg?

I am a real novice [and older] with not much strength - still some muscle weakness but getting better   - but I have/want to start somewhere.  

Also I see there are pro ones and just regular ones.  The regular ones have much bigger handles. It seems like the pro ones are better for a variety of reasons  - is that correct?

thanks for any help.

BTW - my goal is to become an older version of Inger ...lol  .......I know, I know ...good luck with that!    JK says we have to have big dreams!  That is so true.  I have always overstretched my limits - it was always intuitive .......to be more - I had to want more.

Simon Wright and jwhb77 like this.
  2. diane

diane Gold

There was a book recommended to me to learn how to kettle bell. It's called Swing, and the author is Tracy Reifkins. I got it on Amazon as a kindle download.

It's great because it shows you proper technique, but then gives beginner programs all the way to advanced. To start she recommends only 10-15 minutes a day. And start with a light weight and get heavier as you get better. 

I've done them before so I have a 20 lb to start. We have a store here that you can sell used sporting goods - if you have one like that, would be good to start light and then trade up. It's not like you can wear out kettlebells. LOL.

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

There was a book recommended to me to learn how to kettle bell. It's called Swing, and the author is Tracy Reifkins. I got it on Amazon as a kindle download.

It's great because it shows you proper technique, but then gives beginner programs all the way to advanced. To start she recommends only 10-15 minutes a day. And start with a light weight and get heavier as you get better. 

I've done them before so I have a 20 lb to start. We have a store here that you can sell used sporting goods - if you have one like that, would be good to start light and then trade up. It's not like you can wear out kettlebells. LOL.

so - Diane - you do use kettlebells? do you enjoy and are you seeing progress? I can't imagine you wouldn't see progress. 20Kg seems heavy - so what size do you think I should start with? I will look up that book.

4. diane

diane Gold

Oh no - it's 20 lbs, not KG. Boy would I have some muscles then LOL.

I did it for a bit, but stopped once I started the Leptin Reset. So I haven't really put any effort behind them to be honest.

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

so - That is about 8KG I guess - does that seem about right?  I was really floored by the 20KG  - go you!

6. Most women start with an 8kg, but a 12 and a 16 are a good idea, as you will likely outgrow the 8kg fairly quickly.

Just ensure that you move from your hip joints (bottom of pelvis), and not from your back (top of pelvis) and you should be good to go.

Too many people blame kettlebells and not form when they hurt themselves.

I'd reccomend spending an hour or two with a certified trainer if you have any doubts.

7. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

I liked the DVDs from Skogg for learning proper KB technique:

http://www.skoggsystem.com/

KBs are my favorite form of exercise. I like that it can marry weights, range of motion, and endurance type exercise together.

Need to get back to this soon. Anyone up for 200 swings per day challenge? Easy to work up to and doesn't take much time to complete. Can be done in short sets of 25-50 swings each.

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

Thanks Tom. Do you use kettlebells yourself?

9. diane

diane Gold

I tried to find a certified trainer - it was so difficult. And I live in a large city! Hence the book, which really does explain form in great detail. The author is RKC certified I believe, so it was the best option for me.

10. furface

furface New Member

I'd also suggest you try Craigslist or a similar place for some used kettlebells. They are quite expensive when purchasing new, and they don't really wear out, so perhaps you can find a good deal on some used ones from someone who doesn't want theirs any more.

I've used kettlebells myself at the gym, but at home I use adjustable dumbbells in place of kettlebells. I either use them with one hand around the grip, or with two hands around one of the plates. Works basically the same, and I can adjust the weight to however heavy I want. I have 3 sets of spin lock collar dumbbell handles with nearly 200 lbs. of plates from 1 1/4 lbs., 2 1/2 lbs, 5 lbs, 7 1/2 lbs, 10 lbs, and 25 lbs.

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

I love my kettlebells. I think I have already said somewhere. They are great for core strength. I noticed huge improvements almost right away and only did about 35 swings a few times a week.
    I started with 8kg. I credit them with my body appearing - that I didn't know I had ....:D

lilreddgirl and jwhb77 like this.
  12. ssj3

ssj3 Silver

Hi. I highly recommend looking at the work of Pavel Tsatsouline and his website www.strongfirst.com

jwhb77 and Josh (Paleo Osteo) like this.
  13. sooperb

sooperb New Member

As an expert on buying then not using exercise equipment I also bought a kettle bell. I made a big mistake, it was 8kg and I could barely lift it so I had to buy a lighter one - 4 kg. even that was a challenge. I have made great use of them since, as bedroom doorstops :D I bought a DVD from eBay which turned out to be a copy so was missing some of the instructions. Long story short, the rights owner ended up sending me a bona fide copy by which time my enthusiasm had waned again.

Funnily enough I was wondering if kbs would fit the LHT and was just reading about how even doing as little as the initial warm up swing followed by a lift is really good. I've also been practising squat sitting, it's a lot of fun lol.

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

Honestly - what I do with mine is pathetically simple - just swings ..... but the gains have been enormous!

It takes 5 minutes and I think it is so much fun ...... I think I am easily amused tho......

Mystic Rose60 likes this.
  15. Most women at our class thru the clijic start at 8kg

16. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I bought a 25 lb-er. I just do swings with it but I like it, first tried them in crossfit. I thought my hubby would enjoy it too, but he hasnt touched it......i wonder if that it because it is a lovely shade of lilac?

Are men less inclined to swing a "pretty" kettlebell?

17. ssj3

ssj3 Silver

Especially if it exposes weakness (can't hip-hinge or 20 swings and done)... maybe you need one of these KB from onnit.

lineup-gorilla.png

cantweight likes this.
  18. Allin

Allin New Member

I think Paul is in NZ and has been doing strength and balance for about 25 years.

Outside, in the sun and barefoot.

Mystic Rose60 and caroline like this.
  19. caroline

caroline Moderator

Thanks Allin