1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

ketosis, thirst

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Julie5, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Julie5

Julie5 New Member

I understand that I need to be in ketosis. I am eating the 50 g of protein in my BAB and maybe 30 or so g in my afternoon meal. When I test for ketones, the ketostix show that I have trace ketones. Is that being sufficiently ketotic, or do I need to further tweak my diet?

I do use a bit of hard cheese now and then and organic cream. I am not strictly tracking my carbs, but I do eat a serving of veggies every day: combos of onion, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage,brussels sprouts. Not all at the same time, however. Also I eat coconut fat bombs, which have flaked unsweetened coconut and coconut cream, as well as coconut oil.

My other issue is thirst. I am drinking a LOT of water, but I am thirsty all the time. Not just a little, but very. I am controlling my EMF to the degree hubby will let me, which really only amounts to dimmer lighting at night, using goggles, no power or devices in our bedroom at night. So the question for me is, besides water, what more do I need to do to quench the thirst?

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Hi Julie5, have you read the Redox Rx blogpost? EMF is a big issue for trying to get hydrated, unfortunately. But also you could eat lots of seafood, egg yolks, and gently cooked pork for cysteine. Cysteine is needed to make collagen, which is needed to hang onto water. Your sulfurous veggies also have some cysteine.

Ketosis and hydration are linked. Finding trace ketones is good, however, and I believe you are doing fine on your diet otherwise. Are you drinking RO water? The only other thing I can think of is potassium, which is needed to attach to proteins at the same time water attaches to the protein. You also need ATP, to unfold that protein in the first place. Sunlight would help the unfolding process by providing direct energy.

3. nicld

nicld Gold

My N=1 is that I too eat a pretty ketogenic diet but I can hardly get the strips to read. I have found that it all has to do with how hydrated I am. The one day I did not drink that much water (I know, bad) my strips really showed good ketosis. I have realized that if I am drinking the massive amounts of water that one needs, the pee will be just so diluted that the strips may not show anything.

Hemming likes this.
  4. Inger

Inger Silver

Do you measure blood ketones or urine? I guess the urine does not tell much.... from what I have read it could as well be you are just good in using them so you do not pee them out. Or you eat too much carbs / protein. But I would do the blood ketone test if any...

Is your water good quality?

I was much thirsty in the beginning of my ketotic diet many years ago... the increased thirst disappeared after a while. At least it did for me.. I just drank a lot! I now too feel it if I have forgot to drink - I get dryish mouth and feel dehydrated (especially if I am inside or get hot - I have a pretty high temp so I guess that is why I need much water too). So I guess it is good the body reminds us of drinking :)

Cooked meat/fish makes me way thirstier than raw - no idea why?!

Somewhere I read some people might be able to hold on water better if drinking a small glass of salt water in the morning followed by lots of fresh water. IDK tho if this is real You could experiment. I sometimes do this if I take Iodine (salt flush) Do not add salt to your water otherwise tho! Jack has said not a good idea.

You should count your carbs once in a while? At least in the beginning. Veggies can have quite a bit of carbs... at least certain veggies like cooked carrots etc. so if you have lots of them it could get above 20 grams / day easily...

5. Julie5

Julie5 New Member

Inger, yes, our water quality is excellent. We have a country well AND an RO. No fluoride issues here. I know that most days I am doing well with the carbs. Other days I think I am pushing it, but haven't counted. It's interesting that drinking more water dilutes the ketones. I know I am eating lots of protein, but Jack told me not to worry about it converting to glucose. I get about 80 g. of protein a day.

6. Linz

Linz Gold

Perhaps it is the structured water in the raw food that works.

Julie, do you drink the water cold. It has optimal structure at 4 degrees. I don't like the taste of room temp water any more but just a little icy water stops me feeling thirsty.

7. Da-mo

Da-mo Gold

Now that rings a bell . . . . I remember learning long ago that water reaches maximum density at 4degC. Above or below that density decreases.

8. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

I never understood this. Doesn't the water quickly just warm-up in the stomach?

seanb4 likes this.
  9. Linz

Linz Gold

Qi, i think structured water = more energy. The water charge separates to form a molecular arrangement that can absorb more energy and actually excludes some toxins. Cold water, bone broth, fermented veg, raw are all ways to increase structured water I think, and perhaps it is stable enough to withstand warming.

caroline likes this.
  10. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

What Linz said, although I think that not all of the water actually reaches the stomach...