1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Keto Paleo for LRx and CT - Share your Great Food Ideas

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by mumone, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Cody

Cody New Member

Doc is updating the cookbook for spring according to his Facebook. Cauliflower grits!!!

And chocolate pork ribs!

Good stuff. You guys got to check out the pics.

2. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

I had a surprise birthday party last night by a friend who LOVES to cook. She found out a week ago about my new way of eating and was hoping I would have a "cheat day" for our planned dinner (I didn't know it was a suprise party!).

No go, of course.... I am resetting my leptin, no cheating for me! No desire to either!

She pulled out ALL THE STOPS and had a seriously gourmet array of appetizer-like things that knocked my socks off, and I could eat about 75% of what she made!! I am getting the recipes and posting here.

My favorite thought was little cucumber rounds topped with smoked trout with a little horseradish mixed in, with some smelt eggs on top. DELISH. Recipes to follow soon, but, I have to tell you, she found some amazing stuff just looking through recipes online and knowing I would eat no dairy, grains, legumes, or sugar .....

Also I will recommend Dr K's Primal cookbook - some great ideas in there I am anxious to try!

3. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Breakfast as of lately... Take chopped up pulled pork (from our smoker), warm in frying pan w coconut oil (smells heavenly) . Plate it, then top with a couple of pastured eggs (my whole foods has them... Taste way better than normal eggs !!) and half an avocado.

I haven't eaten lunch in 3 days due to this breakfast!!!

4. joyfuljoyful

joyfuljoyful New Member

WOW that is a great friend you have! How sweet. That is so cool that she was supportive and accomadating to your diet, and she obviously loves you very much to put forth so much effort on your behalf! Too cool. Now if only all friends and family could be this understanding! ;)

Yes recipes would be appreciated!! :)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Those pastured eggs at whole foods use to cost 6.99 and I thought that was bad and then they went up another dollar. I emailed them and complained (lately, I'm good at that) and they sent me 12 $1 coupons. Made me feel a little better. However, thank goodness I now I have a source from a local farmer that does not use SOY in his feed, where Vital Farm eggs does use soy. His eggs taste like butter and have the most colorful yokes I have ever seen. The only thing is he wants me to bake him grain free goodies, but he in return gives me pastured butter. I just have to keep my mouth away from what I make.

6. freesia

freesia Old Member

Day 10 on LR here, and I've been having zero carb breakfasts. 50g protein, (fresh fish or beef) seasoning and fat. My time in the am. is limited so this has been suiting me fine, so far. I last 6 hours comfortably on this.

Moving forwards though I do want to make things more interesting so thanks for the great suggestions contributors!

Can anyone tell me whether bone broth counts at all towards the protein content? I noticed a couple of people mention they use commercial gelatin as a protein source in their BAB.

I've been making broth weekly for years (longtime Weston Price follower) and I always have chicken broth plus either lamb or beef broth in my freezer. This morning while I was making my way through my porterhouse I wondered if I added a cup of beef broth would that mean I could cut down an ounce or two of actual beef?

I guess...the best thing is to try it and see if my breakfast still passes my six hour test!

...But I just wondered if there was any offical word on it??

Anyone know?

Cheers.

7. LinD

LinD New Member

Looks great, Chris. Thanks !

I'll have to try this!

8. Made an awesome Halibut today. Ground toasted macadamia nuts w, salt, pepper , dill and lime zest. Dredged halibut with egg white and coconut milk mix then coated with macadamia. Baked for 25 mins. SUPER DUPER YUMMY.

I call it Tropical lime halibut.

I also topped it with a sauce made in the same little foodprocesser (just left nut leftovers in it): Avocado, coconut milk, lime.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Thanks for that info! Back to the drawing board.... although I cannot have eggs right now some peeps in my household do eat them.

10. Endless

Endless Guest

I love these too, nice and easy! But unless you are getting some crazy big eggs, I think they are 6g er egg, not 12. I wish they were 12, would make those BABs much easier!

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Try to find a local farmer and talk to them before buying. I also emailed Vital Farms about the soy in their eggs and he said for now they had no choice but to use it, but they were seriously looking into changing that soon. That was some time ago so maybe they have correct this.

By the way, i love your name Patty Cakes and all your great posts here.

12. janagram

janagram New Member

my lunch today was not fancy but ...love it!

scrambled grassfed ground beef (a third pound or more) with chopped celery, garlic, onion, and from th backyard, 3 swiss chard leaves. Spices and herbs: oregano (fresh), chipotle powder, sea salt, pinch of stevia, apple cider vinegar (2 T.), cumin, with a liberal sprinkling of anise seeds!!!

13. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

It's interesting, b/c sometimes I have to visit my parents. They eat 'SAD'. I buy organic/pastured eggs. Two things: There's a difference in taste, and second is that with regular eggs I don't feel full (also I'm limited to only two...). I get CRAVINGS for eggs, seafood, avacado. Like I miss all of this stuff...and this is only after two days, and I still stick pretty paleo even when at their place...it's just a lot harder and less (b/c I don't eat all the rice, pasta and potatoes: and am only allowed to have a small amount of meat 'b/c it's expensive' so you're supposed to eat the starch for 'filler': NO THANKS). LOL I sound like a whiner,,, but it's true. I DO help myself by buying grass fed butter and I sneak that into my food whenever I can. I bring my CO with me so that I can still have Bulletproof coffee and/or tea. I don't eat the starch and grains...and so helps if I indulge in a piece of cake (to not offend feelings). I always take extra vit. C in hopes that it regulates my liver extra. I will try activated charcoal too for occasions I need to eat bad for polite manners. (Tricks from Bulletproof. He also adds a betaine HCL with the vit C before the bad food/drink. Then activated charcoal 'after' the offensive food/drink).

I feel bad for being so...strict, but I prefer to eat how I feel best. Sorry...maybe have 'bad genes', but I sure know how to turn on 'good epigenetic' switches!

14. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

*I mean I'm limited to two at my parent's place as well as on meat portions. At my home I eat however many fill me up. lol

15. janagram

janagram New Member

this mornng I had sausage and bacon, no eggs for a change.

A good one (no big news) is a potroast (chuck) of grassfed beef in the crockpot with 1 c. red wine and lots of fresh herbs, bay leaf, onions, and let it cook all day. Oh, it was so good. Yeah, I seared it first in in CO in the fry pan from breakfast. Some don't bother....whatever.

And I make the coconut bark and sprinkle it with stevia (powdered)....mmmmm.

16. PaleoCowgirl

PaleoCowgirl New Member

Ugh! I hate that about eating at my in-laws or someone else's house. There are so many extras -- starchy crap -- and the meat portions are so tiny! I always feel like a cow when I take more meat then the grown men, and the host looks at me like, how dare you eat so much of that expensive meat? (Maybe I'm imagining that thought haha!) But, I have found adding CO certainly helps to ward off the cravings and hunger that come when you're at the mercy of eating someone else's food.

When we stay in MN at my inlaws, I notice that even a non-paleo seasoning on meat gives me cravings and makes me feel off. I'm super sensitive these days, which makes me appreciate my boring approach to eating at home. It's simple, but it's satisfying!

17. janagram

janagram New Member

Right, cowgirl!

But here's an easy delicious recipe I just had for lunch!

Cream of Artichoke soup. Artichoke bottoms from a can, drained, into the pan with a certain amount (not much) of chicken stock, and some CO and heavy cream....amounts you like. Canned artichokes can be briny, so no added sour stuff. I added curry spices, cayenne, and grated romano cheese, blended with stick blender!!! So good.

18. PaleoCowgirl

PaleoCowgirl New Member

Sounds amazing! Artichoke is a seasonal veggie for spring, too! I just freshened up on seasonal produce over at MDA. Mark says the ten best are artichokes, avocado, mustard greens, radishes, watercress, asparagus, fennel and celeriac. I just picked a bunch of asparagus from my garden and from our grove of trees -- nothing tastes better than freshly-picked wild asparagus! I like to sprinkle mine with dill, lemon juice, mustard powder and sea salt. Yum!

19. janagram

janagram New Member

that sounds delicious!