1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Keto Paleo for LRx and CT - Share your Great Food Ideas

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by mumone, Mar 15, 2012.

1. mumone

mumone New Member

Hey,

I did get Dr K's book and thats been great, however...

Im BORED stiff with what I'm eating and following a bad visit to my Doc, that ended in a block of chocolate :( .... I need some good ideas for eating CO, staying below the carb limit, and inspiration for staying on track.

Please share your best ketosis meals :)

2. primat

primat Silver

Sushi with nori weed paper, using califlower "rice" instead of the regular stuff, mashed avocado and whatever seafoods you like- I use salmon and tuna.

3. I'm about to lose my mind with the number of eggs I've been eating in the mornings! I could use some BAB ideas!

4. jeepifer@gmail.com

jeepifer@gmail.com New Member

Trout or salmon, pan-fried in coconut oil and lemon juice, with a side of sauteed spinach or kale.

Tuna and egg "salad" with homemade mayo, celery, onion, whatever you wish.

Ground beef cooked in coconut oil (or bacon grease, yum!) with 1/2 avocado and a few dashes of Frank's Red Hot sauce.

Shrimp and broccoli (or other veg of choice -- cabbage, spinach, cauliflower are pretty much my staples) with lemon and garlic.

5. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

I like this idea, thanks

6. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

JUlia Child's ground beef with herbs (sub in almond meal for the wheat flour) ... they are DEELICIOUS esp since I made 'em with a combo of butter and bacon grease. Recipe is in her "mastering the art of french cooking" cookbook.

You all realize that cookbooks written prior to the '50's are GREAT sources of inspiration for paleo recipes, don't you? You have to fiddle with them a tad bit to remove flour and undesirable ingredients but they are all "from scratch" recipes. Check out ebay for them.

7. blindpig

blindpig New Member

Gotta agree with this, Darleen. One of my go-to cookbooks for inspiration is the "Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking" from 1947. These old cookbooks usually have great information (and diagrams, too!) on how to dress, gut, prepare, etc. fish, game and other meats, for us modern folks who have grown up on cellophane wrapped packages from the grocery store. I'm probably not going to be fixing raccoon, turtle or woodchuck any time soon, but I love looking at these old recipes. I do have to stay away from the dessert and bread recipes, though. I encourage everyone to take Darleen's advice and check out Ebay for cookbooks!

(I can't help with specific great food ideas. My DH is having boring old grilled venison burgers for dinner. I don't eat dinner.)

8. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

I second the salmon idea. I stick it in the oven ( with butter and lemon juice underneath and on to of the fish) at 350, then jump in the shower for 20 min. It's done by the time I get out of the shower. 8oz. is about 50g of protein.

I'll also make meatballs: 2lbs. of groung beef, 1/3 cup parsley, 1/8 cup almond flour, 2 eggs, a bit of parm cheese (optional), 1/2-3/4 cup onion, a bit of garlic powder and oregano. They need to bake at 350 for about 40 min, so I make the ahead of time and reheat in the am.

I also prefer devilled eggs right now, made with homemade olive oil mayo (next time, I'll be making bacon mayo). They go down fast and easy, and the spice helps my taste buds from getting bored.

Gonna get some sausage at the farmers market this weekend, too. They' e got sage lamb sausage that is so yummy I could eat it every morning!

9. Continuum Fitness

Continuum Fitness New Member

I am a crock pot cooking fool. My easiest recipe is to take any kind of meat (chicken, pork, beef) and put it in the pot with a jar or two of hot chunky salsa. Then I add my own favorite spices. Garlic, pepper and cumin. let it cook for 5-8 hours and you have tender spicy yumminess!!!!!!

The last pot i cooked I added bacon to it and it made great into optimal:D

10. I have to second the cauliflower "rice". Cauliflower is a great transition veggie - I make enchiladas with egg white tortillas and service with the cauli-rice cooked mexi style. Good enough for normal company.

Another great seafood option is sauted onions and garlic, add tomatoes whatever seasonings you like and toss in seafood. yummm.

Oh, my favorite for "on hand" is meatballs made with lots of spinach. I food process the spinach and add in ginormous quantities to meatballs. They stay all moist and yummy (and green).

Scotch eggs from MDA are great grab and go too.

I too suffer with the "oh god not another BAB". Been doing it awhile and still not hungry in the a.m. Any BAB suggestions welcome!

11. PaleoCowgirl

PaleoCowgirl New Member

Meatballs and bacon in pumpkin soup. I just used canned pumpkin, water, seasoning like nutmeg, thyme, oregano, garlic, basil, turmeric, cinnamon, salt and pepper and add it all together. I love ground beef, but I really prefer ground turkey in this one. My favorite BAB!

Great idea on the homemade sushi. Where do I find sushi-grade fish though?

I love my bonebroth (I freeze bones in ziploc bag until I've collected enough). Then I add herbs like cilantro, parsley, basil and seaweed, often with meatballs.

Venison with cinnamon and salt. Then I mix coconut manna and coconut oil, with same seasonings, and dip the venison strips into the coconut mix. Sounds weird, but it's really good.

If you can get your hands on goose fat, it's to die for. I roasted a whole goose, and the fat on it tasted just like bacon. Divine!

Stuffed mushrooms with ground beef and spinach

The best way to not get bored is to invest in fun seasonings and make different combos. My go-to veggies (very few and far between though) are cauli-rice, pumpkin, mushrooms, kale and frozen spinach. Lately, my only carbs are coconut manna and coconut chips, however.

12. Chrisgraff

Chrisgraff New Member

Slow cooked pork shoulder is easy & really tasty!

1. Liberally salt at least 2 hours before cooking (24 hours is best)

2. Bring (closer) to room temp; typically 1.2 hours per pound. Keep meat covered until last 30 minutes.

3. Using high heat, brown on stovetop in a heavy duty Dutch oven. Bacon fat is best, although macadamia oil works great too.

4. Let meat rest on a plate for a moment, while placing quartered onions/carrots/celery/apple in the pot.

5. *Liberally* sprinkle shoulder on all sides with dry rub. I like a combo of cocoa/cinnamon/chipotle powder/tumeric/garlic powder.

6. Return to Dutch oven; fill pot with water or broth, covering the bottom 1/3 of the shoulder.

7. Slice or two of bacon on top...(cover)...in to a 300 degree oven for two hours (or when center reaches 155 to 160 degrees).

8. Let rest loosely covered with foil for 10-15 minutes.

This is really easy & delicious!

13. tweety

tweety New Member

+1 to the crockpot. I have two crock pots and at least one is cooking something everyday. Usually broths, but its always something. Then I can live my life instead of slaving in the kitchen!

14. Continuum Fitness

That is funny I just bought a second one myself, so I can do big meats for several days and my smaller one when I am in the mood for something specific.

15. meyoolia@gmail.com

meyoolia@gmail.com New Member

My two favourites:

Ceviche (this should give you about 50g of protein)

- 300g raw fish - I love salmon, but other fish work just as well

- 4-5 limes (depending on juiciness)

- 1+ shallot, minced

- Salt and pepper

- parsley or whatever herbs you prefer

chop up the fish, sprinkle with salt & pepper, cover witih lime juice. Mix in parsley. Let it sit, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or so. That's it. The lime juice acids will "cook" the fish.

CO

Squirrel Candy (a squirrel pilfered several of my paper muffin cupped first batch off the patio table, funny to watch it making off with a big white something, only to clue in later when i brought the remainders in that the little bugger had scarfed back about 6T of CO!)

- 2c coconut oil

- 1c coconut manna (coconut butter)

- 1 dropperful of flavoured stevia in glycerine base (I love vanilla or hazelnut)

- 1tsp each cinnamon, turmeric

- go-in's: cocoa nibs (chopped up raw cocoa beans), toasted coconut flakes, citrus peel (my favourite is coarsely grated blood orange!), grated ginger

Melt oil & manna in a small pot at low heat (manna will burn if too hot!). Add stevia and spices. Stirring to keep mixture from settling, spoon into paper muffin cups, silicone muffin or mini-loaf "pans", sprinkle in desired go-ins and let cool til set.

Toasted coconut will give the squirrel candy a pleasant toothsomness, vaguely like rice krispies ;)

16. David

David Silver

I now have two crock pots. I usually cook a free-range chicken from Trader Joe's in one of them. So very easy: wash the bird, salt and pepper it and sit it in the crock pot for 6-8 hours. No added water or anything, and it makes its own broth that can be used later for soup, etc. and the bones can be further cooked to make bone broth. My other, larger crock pot is used for roasts (I have a venison roast ready to go, at the moment.)

17. NorCan

NorCan New Member

Salmon Cakes:

1 Can wild pink salmon (213 g or 7.6 oz) = 45.6 grams of protein

1 Egg = 12 grams of protein

Onion flakes or chopped green onion (optional)

Seasonings

Butter

Drain liquid from the can of salmon. In a bowl, mix the salmon, egg and onion flakes, along with whatever seasoning you like. Heat butter in a frying pan. Because the mix is so loose, the best you can do is place a spoonful of the mixture into the frying pan and form it into a patty with a spoon or fork. Normally, I can make four decent size patties. Once they have set a bit/browned, turn over and brown the other side. This is quick and easy...from the time you open the can, to the time you are ready to eat is roughly about 10 minutes. Once they’re plated, I slather them with butter and have a feast! For a total of 57.6 grams of protein and loads of fat...

18. Continuum Fitness

I will have to try the whole chicken.

I have oxtail in my crockpot as I am typing this. Going to let it cook overnight and have it for breakfast.

19. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Broth in the crockpot!!!! Doh why didn't I think of that! I've been putting it off since I didn't have all day to baby it. Can you give a broth newbie more pointers? I have a lively chicken carcass in the fridge waiting to become broth!!

20. dkenward@yahoo.com

dkenward@yahoo.com New Member

Some good tips on making broth in the crockpot (including my own:cool:) from the Monster Thread can be found here.