1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Keto paleo and hypothyroid/adrenal issues

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Pardus, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Pardus

Pardus New Member

Hi all,

I know there is a lot of dogma going around the paleosphere about keto diets causing hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue issues (cold hands and feet, bloating, constipation, brain fog, etc) to which the solution is always to add more "safe starches".

Unfortunately, my hands are still cold, only warming up for about an hour after I eat a meal. Been doing CT cold showers and cold walks for over a month now.

What is your view on the situation of vlc/keto causing hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue?

Did anyone with cold hands/hypothyroid, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, etc notice any improvement with CT? If so, what was your experience and how long did it take?

2. CheshireCat57

CheshireCat57 New Member

Hi Pardus, I qualify with the problems but have not been doing things long enough to become Cold Adapted. I don't have cold hands normally though so cannot offer anything for you on that. I do know that jack says all over his blog and in this forum that you should not be eating carbs in winter. I don't know when the cut over is but in the Northern hemisphere we are not in the season for harvesting (March 2012) many vegetables so I would think that carbs are still inappropriate.

One thread I read in the forum talked about not covering up when you stop the CT as the covers (shirts, Pj's etc) seem to trap the cold in. I did this last night and it worked for me...and the wife enjoyed it too :mad: Jack speaks about keeping hands and feet warm during CT...

Hope this helps.

3. Inger

Inger Silver

Do you get organs and fishheads to eat? Plain meat only will not do it longterm.

I believe fishheads espesially are great for healing. Try fishbroth or eat whole small fish with head and all. I occasionally make a smoothie with mackerelheads and water and drink it. Tastes awful but makes me feel great... I know it sounds crazy. Fishbroth with heads from wild fish are also real good.

4. Baba

Baba New Member

My adrenals have recovered on a low-carb diet. I took Hydrocortisone for two years (to give them a break) and have recently weaned. The fact that I don't need antihistamines for hayfever (yet) this season is a sign that my adrenals are doing their job again. Although I weaned off HC before starting CT, I believe it helps a lot.

My thyroid doesn't show any signs of recovering, but I have Hashimoto's which may be a special situation.

5. Caroline Cooper

Caroline Cooper New Member

Hi Friends,

I was really worried about this too. I have been doing the SCD/GAPS/modified paleo diet for over six years. I found I did better on a low carbohydrate version of the diet though I have never tried to be ketogenic. I have also played around with seasonal eating. I have cured myself of asthma, allergies, chronic sinus infections, yeast infections, osteoarthritis and epilepsy.

BUT I do have a low body temperature. I measure my morning temperature before rising and have done so for over 35 cycles. My charts would say I am estrogen dominant and I have a standard infertility pattern. (I am 46.) My charts indicate that I have an adrenal problem not a thyroid problem due to my extreme daily fluctuations in my morning temperatures.

There are two main views out there about low body temperature. One says its a sign of endocrine dysfunction. This appears to be the dominant view in the paleo community at this time with all the talk about safe starches. The other view would say, I am in calorie restriction, and that lower body temperature is great because it will increase my longevity.

I have been trying to figure out which of these two opinions might be happening for me. I have been experimenting with over-eating, safe starches, adrenal extracts, herbals, etc from about 2009. None of these experiments have increased my body temperature for any length of time. I was starting to think that maybe there was nothing wrong with a low body temperature since I appear healthy in other ways.

It was late last year that I learned about Dr Krase's work but I really didn't understand his earlier posts. It has been just recently that I have come back to his website to find the cold thermogenesis massives. Wow, what can I say. His material blew my mind. If he is right, and he has done six years of clinic work, it doesn't matter if my adrenals are burnt-out or my thyroid is under-functioning. Cold thermogenesis, a seasonal ketogenic diet and balancing circadian cycles will open a pathway in the brain that will overrun any glandular endocrine dysfunction.

By the way, I asked Dr Kruse about his opinion on low body temperature. He thinks it's better but he didn't give a reason. Maybe he will expand on the reason why here.

I have gone moderately ketogenic. I am turning off the lights at sunset and I am in the first stages of cold thermogensis. I will keep you posted as to how it goes and what it does to my system. I like the term, biohack!

6. Caroline Cooper

Hi Inger,

Fish broths are very healing. The adrenal gland in fish is in the head, so you are eating fish adrenals. Eating the area behind the eyes is extremely high in vitamin C. Fish eggs are a superfood. Eating raw fish is very nourishing. I am impressed that you can eat the whole fish in a smoothie. You are a real trooper!

7. Claudia

Claudia New Member

What do you mean? Not covering up after CT? Do you mean when I come out of my cold bath, I should not get comfy and put on my PJs and robe? I am cold for about 3 hours and I do like to warm up by putting on clothes.

8. Pardus

Pardus New Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try the fish heads sometime! How do you prepare them to soften the heads and bones?

9. Caroline Cooper

Hi Friends,

I have a question about ketosis. Has anyone here found eating hard cheese takes you out of Ketosis? I have never used Ketostix before last week. I started doing so and I find the day after I eat hard cheese, with everything else being the same, I will move from "moderate" ketosis to "trace" or even "negative". Any ideas?

10. kalibex

kalibex New Member

Gives new meaning to the following song lyrics:

Fish heads fish heads

Roly poly fish heads

fish heads fish heads

eat them up, yum!

In the morning laughing happy fish heads

In the evening floating in the soup

Fish Heads lyrics

11. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

I've def. noticed a difference in body temps (I have Hashimoto's). I'm doing other things besides just leptin Rx/CT, though. I'm on an immune modulation protocol and I'm also on pregenolone and adrenal herbs for low cortisol and high-dose sublingual methylcobalamin (nearly everyone with autoimmune disease is too low in B12 and the US lab range is way too low).

12. Pardus

Pardus New Member

what kind of adrenal herbs are you using?

13. hazyjane

hazyjane New Member

I'm using a mix of liquid extracts (Standard Process brand) of rehmannia, ashwaganda and korean ginseng (3:2:1 parts) in the A.M. for low morning cortisol. I take a whole tsp. It's a mix that my holistic doc blends.

14. PaleoSue

PaleoSue New Member

I am currently using Mil-Adregen, which is dessicated adrenal gland from my understanding.

I'm currently weaning off of it and seeing what happens. I plan to repeat a salivary cortisol then. I'm doing very well and don't think I need it any more.

15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

back in august I had a backward circadian cycle - Cortisol was HIGH At night, and LOW in the morning - influenced by years of shift work, and stress.

I continued w/the LR - eating BAB w/in first 30mins of waking, lunch 4-5hrs later, dinner 4-5hrs later, b/w3hr prior to bed. I took the following: Maca, Ltheanine, Rodihola, high dose VitC, high dose B-complex, and Apex Energetics Adaptocrine. I also stopped wearing sunglasses during the day, and made sure I got plenty of sun on my eyes throughout the day, kept lights low or off at night... saw a reversal to normal 6mths later.

When I started CT - I discovered quite quickly night CTing was not for me... I usually CT in the AM... but now 8wks into CTing I can CT in the afternoon and not impact sleep...

CTing w/the LR, following the circadian cycles, and seasonal eating will right the adrenals - and turn back on the HPA axis - as well as the Pituary -Thyroid axis... but you have to be patient...