1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Keto necessary?

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by TomP, Jul 9, 2015.

1. TomP

TomP New Member

I'm planning on doing the reset, but is a very low carb approach that important? I already eat whole foods only, lot's of vegetables. If I eat carbs, it's a piece of fruit added to my meal, but not that huge.

My big question is:

if I stick to the correct meal times (BAB, no snacking, and so on) with whole foods, will I see increased leptin sensitivity?

2. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Tom,without contetxt it is impossible to answer. What are you trying to achieve ? What are those wholefoods exactly and how many grams of carbs would you be talking about ? Why is it important to you to have carbs ? Are you in summer or winter? What is your EMF exposure? Are you overweight?

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

and you need a pic up!

4. jackware

jackware Kama'aina

Lately Jack's been saying to look at your environment first. I love how the latest podcast guy kept asking specific questions about specific nutrients to take and in what ratios and Jack kept responding with replies that seems to say, between the lines, "You're still not getting it, start with your environment!" The question should be, "I'm planning on doing the reset and here is where I spend my time, etc. No?

5. TomP

TomP New Member

Well, first of all, I'm trying to achieve leptin sensitivity, metabolic upregulation and fat loss. At the moment, I am around 30 % fat. That would probably make me leptin resistant.

With whole foods, I mean stuff that comes straight from the ground or from an animal. Clean vegetables, fruits, lots of protein (I eat a lot of shellfish), grass-fed butter. Concerning carbs, my main sources of those are vegetables, avocadoes, sweet potatoes, olives, and some fruits like an apple or an orange at every meal. When I eat carbs I eat them at my main meals. I have done keto in the past, and my main concern with them is is that I believe low-carb diets cause metabolic slowdown, not a huge fan of that anymore. The circadian timing of meals does seem sensible though, and dr. Kruse says in his book that the meal timings are the most important thing. I eat about 100-200 grams of carbs a day, and about the same amount of protein.

I live pretty much in a suburban environment, not in the middle of the city, if that's what you mean. Don't think there is a lot of EMF. And it's summer.

Another thing, concerning cold thermogenesis. If I submerge myself up to my neck in a pool of cold water of say 55-59 degrees Fahrenheit, does that count? And does fat loss follow quickly if I do that for 2 hours a day?

6. jackware

jackware Kama'aina

Sounds like your diet is pretty good, probably still too many fruit based carbs, if you're not located in the tropics. I just ate a handful of wild blackberries outside my back porch today. Sometimes I grab a glass of fresh juice when my wife drags out the Brevel juicer. Other than that, lemon is really all I eat on the fruit side. I do love avocados though. I eat a shit ton of leafy greens and some broccoli and edamame sometimes.

Sounds like you have not really begun CT. Anything is better than nothing. I started just sitting in the bath in water that came right out of the tap, no ice. Then added more and more ice over a period of time. When I sit down to read a book I put ice packs either under my back or on my chest. Just look for small ways to begin. Don't aim for quick results, though they might come if you do 2 hours a day! Aim for a year or two time horizon to get where you need to be. None of us got out of optimal by small measures, it was years and years and years of accumulated junk. Just this week I downloaded the f.lux on my home and work computers and I started putting on my Blu Blockers as soon as I leave my work at midnight, and wear them all the way home and up until I get into bed. Just take step after step and enjoy the journey, I am.

Welcome, I'm also a new member.

Psyche likes this.
  7. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Welcome Tom,I agree with what Jack W said . Too many carbs at this stage of the game .
    Now a dog is for life, but ketosis is not. Ketosis is our natural winter diet but when you have inflammation present (obesity=inflammation) it is the best way to restart the natural rythm , an entry point if you like . You also want to change the condition of your gut hence the carb restriction. My suggestion would be to go green veggies only for 4- 6 weeks and do a lot of reading here as to the significance of carbs in our diet and why they are a summer food that need to be eaten but that you always need to keep a wary eye on . I live in suburbia and the EMF exposure is surprisingly high.Evaluate everything with a new eye as you arte doing the leptin reset. Consider starting a journal, think about your health history,your family history especially on the maternal side. Good luck and keep asking questions.

caroline likes this.
  8. caroline

caroline Moderator

A health history in a journal is a good idea..... welcome

How is your sleep?

9. TomP

TomP New Member

Since implementing the meal timings, I've got a feeling my sleep is becoming better. My circadian rhythm is starting to turn normal I think because I get sleepy at the right times now.

Been losing weight too, this week, at a fast rate, but I think most of it is water weight.